Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

Question Ordering Bottom Drilled Tank Question

I'm attempting at having a custom tank made and want it super clean. I went to a couple local fish stores and they looked at me cross-eyed when I asked about drilling two holes for overflow and one hole for return in the bottom of the tank in the overflow box (three total holes in the bottom).

I'm Planning on an 80 gallon tank and using Herbie method of plumbing the overflow. Using 1" bulkheads all around. I wasn't sure if this is crazy but to me I want a clean set up and everything contained in the tank/stand profile.

Tank manufacturer said they're only used to doing 2 hole setups in the bottom and it got me second guessing. Am I planning this thing out wrong?

Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:28 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its far more common to only have 2 holes in a corner overflow setup and then people just do an over the top return

But that doesn't mean you can't have 3 or 4 or 20 holes if thats what you as a customer want..

Having the return inside the overflow is a bit goofy though IMO... You certainly don't want to just return water into the overflow and would need to have your piping come up/over the top of the overflow box anyways or come through the wall of the overflow so its likely better to have the return either over the top or have another hole drilled in the back of the tank at the opposite corner or whatever..

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Boochika
Registered Member

My plan is to have a bulkhead in the overflow box, which would spit the water out from the return into the tank. Water wouldn't be returning from the pump into the overflow box. Essentially acting the same as if it were over the top.

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Boochika
Registered Member

Or to have return come over top of overflow box.

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:49 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Then you simply need to ask the vendor for what you want..

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

Most so called reef ready tanks only have one drain & a return. It is a very outdated setup & im not sure why the manufacturers havnt caught on. I assume that is why they said they usually only do 2 holes.

Most of the custom tank manufacturers would know what u want. They are used to doing multiple holes for the drains. Just about any custom tank u see on RC actually has 3 drain holes for a beananimal.

So it is definitely not u. I wouldn’t setup a tank without a beananimal drain. At the very least I would want 2 holes for a herbie, but I wouldn’t run a single durso drain. Your other option would be as mcgyver mentioned & use 2 holes for a herbie & go over the back with the return.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Boochika
Registered Member

thank you both for your advice, I'm just trying to start out right.

Unread 03/14/2018, 07:39 PM   #8
rocsec1
Registered Member

I have a return coming from the bottom. I then split it with Loc line and have the return out lets 10 in from the overflow pointing away. Works for me.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 11:57 PM   #9
Julius Chen
Registered Member

I would do beaninmal (3 drains).

For 80 gallon tank, shouldn’t 3/4” pipes be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julius Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:28 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Chen View Post
I would do beaninmal (3 drains).

For 80 gallon tank, shouldn’t 3/4” pipes be enough?
1" is far better..

Unread 03/16/2018, 05:29 AM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

I have an 80G SCA tank with a center overflow. It has 3 holes for a herbie setup and the returns piped through the overflow and out the side of the wier.

SCA does all thier internal overflows this way now. If you can't find an LFS near you, have a look at SCA aquariums. Steve is a great guy and a quick call will usually net you what you want.

Older pic, but you can see the returns and the open channel. Of course the full siphon is below the water and cannot be seen in this photo. Locline completes the returns out of the overflow.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote