Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2005, 01:43 PM   #1
tmays
Registered Member

Breeding Lysmata shrimp

I am intrested in breeding some of the lysmata cleaner shrimp varieties. If anyone has had success, would you please e-mail info and or pics of your broodstock set up and your larval rearing set up. Any information you can provide will be very helpful...
Thank you very much!!!

tmays is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 02:10 PM   #2
FMarini
10 & Over Club

tmays-
welcome to Reefcentral and the breeders forum.
You asked a great question, and one that can be answered in 300pages of text. Infact I can recommend start by doing a search here in this forum (the search buttom is at the top of the page and under every forum). The search command should be the start of every question, then once you've got a few ideas down you can restrict your question to one that is more efficiently addressed.
heres a starter
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search...by=&sortorder=

Thats said, we have discussed peppermint shrimp here and there are a bunch of threads on breeding ornamental shrimp. i highly recommend you read thru them. Many of the Q? you asked will be answered.

I hope you enjoy reefcentral, its a great resource, and i have been blessed by having a number of advanced hobbyists thru some hard-working professional marine aquaculturists onboard all of whom contribute their knowledge freely.
Thanks again
frank

Unread 11/30/2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Luis A M
Premium Member

Welcome!
Search the forum,good info here!

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 03:19 PM   #4
RCS
Moved On

April Kirkendoll's "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" would be a good book to start with as well.

You can also search RC without using the search function (I've found it's rather invaluable to use since the server is quite busy):

Go to www.google.com

Type in your search followed by "site:reefcentral.com" without the quotations.

For example, type in: "breeding lysmata site:reefcentral.com"

RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Kathy55g
Moved On

great idea, RCS!

Kathy55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Kathy55g
Moved On

great idea, RCS!

Kathy55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 05:46 PM   #7
RCS
Moved On

It's been a huge timesaver more times than I can count!

Unread 12/01/2005, 01:21 AM   #8
spk
Premium Member

Welcome TMAYS.

Document your process so that we can all learn and journey with you.

Good luck.
Steve

spk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2005, 08:02 AM   #9
FMarini
10 & Over Club

Fred- what a great tip....
many thanks

Unread 12/01/2005, 08:07 AM   #10
RCS
Moved On

It's been around for a bit...but you'd have to use the RC search function to find it I think!

Unread 12/01/2005, 07:54 PM   #11
tmays
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I just want to say thanks alot for all the good advice! I will keep you all up to date on my shrimp breeding and fish breeding projects.

Unread 12/02/2005, 09:41 AM   #12
ediaz
Registered Member

I sent you a PM, don't know if you got it, if you need assistance with the live foods, I have plenty.

Ed

I'll just leave it blank
ediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2005, 09:43 AM   #13
G_melacara
Registered Member

Hey tmays,
Good luck with your rearing efforts. Before getting a job that took me away from home for months at at time and wreaking havoc on my aquarium hobby, I did a LOT of research into breeding Lysmata amboinensis. If you did search this forum you might have found this in a post of mine from two years ago but I'll throw it up just the same because its "light reading" that I found useful. I hope the links are current . . . Again, good luck!

*D.J. Fletcher, I. Kotter, M. Wunsch & I.Yasir. Preliminary observations on the reproductive biology of ornamental cleaner prawns Stenopsus hispidus, Lysmata amboinensis, and Lysmata debelius. Int. Zoo Yearbook (1995) 34: 73-77.

* Peters, Micheal and Wilkerson, Joyce. Scarlet cleaner shrimp larval development. FAMA. March, 1996: 48-55.

Fiedler, G. Curt. Functional, Simultaneous Hermaphroditism in Female-Phase Lysmata amboinensis Pacific Science (1998), 52(2): 161-169.

Rufino, Marta and Jones, David. Binary Individual Recognition in Lysmata debelius under laboratory conditions. J. Crust. Bio. 21(2): 388-392, 2001.

Rufino, Martin and Jones, David. Observations on the functions of the fifth pereiopod in late stage larvae of Lysmata debelius. Crustaceana 74(9): 977-990. 2001.

Zhang, Dong. and Lin, Junda. Ingestion rate and feeding behavior of the Peppermint Shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni on Artemia Nauplii. Journal of World Aquaculture Society 29(1): 97-103. 1998.

*Hamner, William. Design developments in the planktonkreisel, a plankton aquarium for ships at sea. J. Plankton Research 12(2): 397-402. 1990.

*Wilkerson, Joyce. Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. FAMA 1994 http://breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/...g94/scarlet.htm

Riley, Cecilia. Captive Spawning and Rearing of the Peppermint Shrimp Lysmata Wurdemanni. Sea Scope vol 11. 1994.

Wittenrich, Matthew. Breeding Lysmata rathbunae: Metamorphosis in 19 days. Sea Scope vol. 19. 2002.

Simoes, Fernando, F. Ribeiro, D. Jones. Feeding early larval stages of fire shrimp Lysmata debelius. Aquaculture International 10: 349-360. 2002.

*R. Calado, L. Narciso, S. Morais, A.L. Rhyne, J. Lin. A rearing system for the culture of ornamental decapod crustacean larvae. Aquaculture 218: 329-339. 2003.

INTERNET:

*Noack, Frederick Scott. Captive Rearing of Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni): a hobbyist's tale. Reefkeeping Online magazine. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/nfft/index.htm.

Anonymous? Breeding the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp. Reefs UK reefsuk.com/CaptiveBreeding/Articles/BreedingScarletCleanerShrimp.html.

*Magnasco, Luis and Toonen, Rob. Raising Stenopus and Lysmata Larvae. http://www.reefs.org/library/articl...co_toonen.html.

Toonen, Rob. Culturing Shrimp. Reefs.org http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen10.html

Toonen, Rob. Larvae Settlement Cues. Reefs.org http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen5.html

*Multiple contributors Rearing L. amboinensis larvae. Reef Central Post. http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulleti...?threadid=55311

BOOKS:
**Kirkendoll, April. How to Raise and Train your own Peppermint Shrimp. Lysmata Publishing

G_melacara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2005, 01:11 AM   #14
spk
Premium Member

Kirkendoll, April. How to Raise and Train your own Peppermint Shrimp. Lysmata Publishing

I have been searching for this book for some time now. Where can you get it from?

Steve

PS: Will be in Minneapolis week 10th Dec through 17th Dec, so if anyone knows a place in the US, please let me know.

spk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2005, 09:13 AM   #15
spawner
Reefer

order it from her website.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
spawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2005, 09:45 AM   #16
Atticus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spk
Kirkendoll, April. How to Raise and Train your own Peppermint Shrimp. Lysmata Publishing

I have been searching for this book for some time now. Where can you get it from?

Steve

PS: Will be in Minneapolis week 10th Dec through 17th Dec, so if anyone knows a place in the US, please let me know.
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...books&v=glance

or Here (free shipping if you buy $20 Buy one for a friend... Hello Friend )

http://www.lysmatapublishing.com/shrimp.html

Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2006, 01:19 AM   #17
SeaSpza
Registered Member

Good info

SeaSpza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2006, 02:14 PM   #18
rous
Registered Member

lysmata shrimp

i bread thesse once but couldnt get the babies to feed.
sound familliar!
there has been alot of people try this and fail and not many have succeeded to rear past 30 days.
good luck to you and i wish you all the success.
i still have alot of the data day by day somewhere and information recieved from the sea life centre.its all on floppy discs,ill try to find it for you and if i do your more than welcome to the data on it.send you copies by post or sort something out.
cheers
dave

rous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2006, 04:01 PM   #19
tmays
Registered Member

Thank you very much Rous. I look forward to it. You guys have helped me alot already!

Unread 02/06/2006, 01:09 AM   #20
rsman
Registered Member

humm

rous just wondering where did you get your 30 day numbers from???

I delayed responding because I wanted to have a look thru my notes and I took some time just now to do so. I dont note any major dieoff anywhere near 30 days, I have a few explained dieoffs at 20 days (lack of ME feeding) and a few unexplained around 60, for the general numbers I never had much problems getting them into the 110 day range, thats usually where I lost mine. it was a downhill spiral from there. though the count was always declining, the 60 and 110 +/- 10 ranges are where i lost what i'd call most.

Unread 01/15/2018, 06:49 PM   #21
aussiemantis
Registered Member

its 2018 and i have found a successful way to breed Expensive Lysmata's

Hi All. Firstly straight off the bat i would like to thank the members on this forum for the many great 'experiments' they have conducted on the popular yet very hard task that is breeding cleaner shrimp. For this Experiment i had used Skunk Cleaner better known as Fire Shrimp. I would have to say that (and i am being truth full) that i have had at least 100 out of a possible 300 larvae that have successfully settled and i Live in Australia so i sell these babies at $120 a pop on our version of craigslist! yes i know what your thinking...this bloke is probably talking smack ahaha well guess what... whether you believe me or not has no impact on what i'm doing and what i've done, your opinion means nothing to me, i am the captain now (insert meme here...thats right its 2018 and memes are a thing now) I have had success with these guys on a supplyable scale in my 100G shallow and i'm over the moon
basically i'm going to go through a full run down on exactly how i did it so you can perhaps replicate it. All details of the setup will be posted over a weeks period when i have free time. I will tell you exactly what i did and how i did it. I didn't read any special books, i only read what you guys provided me on this site with your own experiences. so i owe this to you guys. also i have not read that silly book called how to train your shrimp or whatever. that is just a sales gimmick designed to suck up your money life alot of other products in this hobby, and if you think i'm lying , exactly how many cleaner shrimps have you been able to rear to adulthood with the help of that book???
I only read what you guys provided plus some old pieces of text about scientific research done in the late 90's on a possible settlement cue or cues for blood cleaners and similar species like the amb and the (more affordable) peppermint. I came across a very interesting piece of text in one of those articles. something that caught my eye regarding settlement cue. something no one thought of before and i was staring at my screen thinking im stupid because i did not pick it out before and it's not even hard to pick out. it's more common sense and i'm being serious. we were missing important details...in fact VERY VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS in the life of larval cleaners and about what causes them to settle in the ocean. they don't just drift the ocean forever, they are only considered plankton while they are drifting in the ocean in their larval state. (i cannot provide any more on this as the answer to this whole thing lies in what i just wrote about the drifting, that is the only clue you get unfortunately) the clue is in there i promise you. in that sentence i provided above. i just pray that you figure it out. you also gotta understand that i cannot give the answer to this as it is an untapped global market. not even scientists (to my suprise )have been able to figure it out...or perhaps they already know the secret and they were just keeping the secret for financial gain however i am actually a young student only 21 and this is now in fact my only cash cow. i have dedicated the last 12 months of my life to this and now it has paid dividends. so of course i will protect the secret. ...at all cost lol.

also, dont get me wrong, when i first started i was like everyone else...."why TF are they always dying before settlement" i would always think. it took alot of time and ALOT of money. i spend about AUD$1200 on a custom make breeder tank with all the works. it was a huge 100G shallow. I mean it was LONG. it was about 4m long but only about 20cm high, so it was a looooong very shallow (as i call it) lol. i think giving larvae more space will assist in the survival of larvae and also assist the larvae with settlement. you need a lot of live rock pieces. small a huge piece of christmas LR and place up to 100 pieces in the tank. they shouldn't be touching each other. each shrimp larvae must have a home to go under when it has settled. (i know this sounds like a weird setup but the pics will explain everything) it quite complex however the BIGGEST MISTAKE i made was not building it myself. After seeing the tank finished i had really wished i had made it myself. it would of costed me about $400-$500 if i had and i would of saved close to $800
anyways i will post later this week. dont worry. all your questions about nutrition etc will be answered.

aussiemantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 03:13 AM   #22
jolliolli
Registered Member

Following along, I’m really keen to hear about your experiences. I’m over the ditch in NZ

jolliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 01:02 PM   #23
gogo7
pico reefer

hey aussie, how's it going?

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 11:59 PM   #24
aussiemantis
Registered Member

Hi Guys, thanks for you support. there are alot of secrets and myths about the breeding of this. all will be revealed, i know what i commented before....i said i would keep it a secret, but what is the point in that......im starting to realise that the conservation of marine life is more important than money to me and therefore from now on i will tell you exactly what i did and how i did it. i'm thinking about writing a short book explaining it since it is sort of hard to do so from a post on this site. there are way too many factors involved. for eg.
during my experiments with various batches of debilius, the blood cleaner, i found that i had the highest rates of larval survival with zero light in the tank....this is because i noticed that when i fed newly hatched artemia (fed on reef roids) to the larval shrimp the bbs were attracted to the surface of the water where the light penetrated....and the shrimp larvae however were struggling to get away from the light and were clustered in dark corners, hence they were malnourished. due to this, the shrimp became more and more stressed and eventually starved. IT TOOK ME ABOUT 3 MONTHS ALONE TO FIGURE JUST THIS BIT OUT....THAT IS HOW MUCH TIME I HAVE PUT INTO THIS.
now all my shrimp larvae are cultured in darkness...i guess that this mimics the natural environment that plankton are exposed to anyway, they drift the deep dark depths of the ocean until they are ready to settle. with all my experimenting my larval survival rate is only roughly 15% to 30%, on one occasion post larva state was completed in 48 days.
Since posting this i have dabbled in other crustaceans i am interested in, i am trying my gut out with mantis shrimps, i have a male and female living in the same tank, however i have not observed any signs of mating.

I have had monumental success with Pistol Shrimps of the Alpheus genus which is the only genus known to form a symbiotic pairing with the Oyster Crested Goby, which is a goby which is part of the same genus as the yellow watchman, the Cryptocentrus. i've had pistol shrimp larvae settle in just under 4 days and they grow QUICK and are easy to raise.
I regularly get 50-100 settled shrimp per month.

I haven't had any success nor have i even tried breeding the oyster goby however i do want to give it a crack since i think that there is a pretty penny to be made selling Pairs of the iconic Shrimp Goby pairs. i am already selling a lot of pistols each month, however if i can breed the goby i could make a pretty penny selling Shrimp Goby Pairs.

if you are trying to breed the first thing i would suggest is a tank with an aged sand bed. when i first started breeding i couldn't grasp why people always said to never run a filter and have a bare bottom tank. i'm not a scientist, but to me it seemed a lot of people were complaining that poor water quality was to blame for the death or gradual death of their larvae so it made a lot of sense to me to go with a aged sand bed in an aged tank and a small aqua one 75 Litre per hour hob filter with a filter sponge on the end. i have a very powerful air pump with an airstone right under the intake pipe of the filter. this prevents the larvae from being sucked into the sponge. so there is a strong current pushing water away from the intake pipe so that the larvae are always carried away from the inlet and not sucked into it. i still do a 10 percent weekly water change even though i do not have to, i can feed live or dead foods to larvae and it is not a problem because the bio filter in the sandbed is really good so they break down waste fast.
i can afford to feed the pistol larvae dead food because the larvae size is 3-4mm unlike the much smaller lysmata larvae

aussiemantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 01:49 AM   #25
jolliolli
Registered Member

Hi Aussiemantis great to see another update from you I’m keen to follow your progress. I’ve just finished building a kreisel for rearing lysmata ambiinensis,so I’m keen to see how that goes. Did you ever try using a kreisel?

jolliolli is offline   Reply With Quote