Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2001, 08:12 PM   #1
shred5
Registered Member

coral of the week {Briareum} corky sea fingers

Week #27 coral of the week {Briareum} common names corky sea fingers . This coral is pictured on page 154 and 155 of the book the Corals a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung and on pages 157 to 159 of Eric Borneman's aquarium corals.

Every week I will post a new coral and I want you to post everything you know about this particular coral. Everything from common names, how hardy they are, water temp, water flow, lighting, water parameters, fraging, spawning, related corals, scientific names, feeding, best ways to ship, etc. Post your pictures for identification. Please tell us about your system so others can duplicate your success. Also email me for request on which corals you would like to see in this section.

Dave Polzin

Unread 07/25/2001, 08:19 PM   #2
shred5
Registered Member

Here is an old picture of mine taken about oct of last year. This stuff grows real fast. I will post some newer pictures of it open and what it looks like closed some time this weekend. since oct. of last year this coral has grown about 6 inches with about a 1/2 dozen new fingers at the base. Mine is growing directly under A 250 watt iwasaki.

Dave Polzin

Unread 07/28/2001, 02:03 PM   #3
shred5
Registered Member

here is a newer picture. Sorry I could not get one of it closed, it has been open when I am home.

I keep this coral directly under a 250 watt iwasaki with 2 vho actinics but can grow under lesser light. It eats just about anything I feed the other critters in my tank, as long as its ground up fine enough. It also like esv spray dried phytoplankton and golden pearls. There are two types of growth: rod shaped like mine and a encrusting form. Briareum can grow very fast. Mine has grown 3 to 6 inches in less than a year, with 6 new buds at the bottom which are from 1 to 4 inches long. They also can close up for several days to a week and will then shed a waxy film just before they reopen. They usually have brown to tan polyp with a purple base.

They are easy to propagate just like just about any gorgonian. See my article here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/library/c...rg/Default.htm
or here
http://www.wisconsinreefsociety.org/dave.html

Dave Polzin

Last edited by shred5; 07/28/2001 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 07/28/2001, 03:33 PM   #4
smiller
Premium Member

Dave,

I have had two of these in my reef for about six months. I got them from Rich Durso. They have grown at least three inches and put off several new branches. The one that is getting indirect light is growing faster than the one directly under the light. I have 2-250 HQIs. They look great swaying in the current. I have never direct fed them.

What is the blue looking gorg in your tank? I recognize the purple gorg, but the blue looks very nice. I am sort of a gorg freak. I can't seem to get enough.

Steve

Unread 07/28/2001, 03:45 PM   #5
tlc
Registered Member

shred, may i ask what type of foods you feed the tank, excellent polyp extension...

Unread 07/28/2001, 04:18 PM   #6
shred5
Registered Member

Steve
I feed mainly prime reef and dt's. But a couple times a week I will mix it up between flake, esv spray dried phytoplankton, formula one, smashed up silver sides and very rarely golden pearls. Sometimes I will feed other things too. I do not feed real heavy either. I think some of the polyp extension has to do with the current. I use ocilliwaves. It basically gets hit with a pretty strong current then it lets up.

Dave

Unread 07/28/2001, 04:53 PM   #7
LOVEMYREEF
Registered Member

these are beauties...any chance of a frag???