Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Cat Fish
Registered Member

Australomussa Help!!

Hi, I've had an Australomussa coral for about two weeks now, and it was looking great during the first week, but since yesterday has looked more deflated and appears to have a fine dust over the top of it. Until yesterday I would watch it feed and expel waste throughout the day, puffing up its central mouth, and some of the small surrounding eyes (that don't appear to have developed mouths yet) would also puff up throughout the day, both with and without targeted feeding. I didn't see it puff up at all yesterday, but I did watch it develop little pinpoint sized divits off and on over various parts of it. It is a small coral, about 2.5" in diameter. I have it under AI Sol lights, placed on the bottom of the tank in an area that doesn't get strong intensity (due to the center bar on my tank) and is protected from powerhead flow. The only changes I've made in my tank since last week are adding about 2 more inches of water to teh top of my tank, and adjusting some powerheads (one could have increased flow to its right side, and the other decreased flow to its left side). I know these are uncommon corals and I would really appreciate any help that someone might be able to provide who has experience with an Australomussa.

Thank you!!

Cat Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 03:27 PM   #2
cjk76
Registered Member

Pictures?

cjk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 12:28 AM   #3
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk76 View Post
Pictures?
This would help.

If it has been eating/extending it's feeder tentacles I wouldn't be too worried. Corals expand and shrink all the time for any number of reasons. Is the flesh receding anywhere or missing in these divets? The dust could be from sand or something that got stirred up and settled onto the coral, again without pics it is tough to say, but I would lightly blow off the dust and leave the coral where it is and continue to observe.

Unread 05/09/2012, 04:18 PM   #4
reefwars
Registered Member

they do not like alot of light your leds may be burning it up as its not used to high par lighting.they also do not do well in high flow areas. they are not a good choice for sps dominated tanks and do well in dirtier lps tanks.

not a good coral for the beginner, def beautiful though

i would be blowing off the " dust " with a baster as often as i could and do not handle it to often its flesh is very delicate, one of the reasons it does not do well under strong lighting.

of course there are always exceptions to the rule, maybe move it to see if its happier elsewhere.

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote