Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Mars aqua LEDs. What height and intensity do you use?

Hello everyone. In the process of creating a light rack/post for my two165w Mars Aqua leds that I will install on my 55 gal 48"x 13" x 21" height I plan on having mainly corals. SPS dominating.

How high above aquarium do you have yours mounted?

What intensity of blue/white do you use?

What is the light cycle that works for you?

I was thinking of 11am blues turn on at about 50% and have whites come on from 12-8pm at 30% shut off blues at 9pm. And have chaeto in sump on opposite light schedule.

How does that sound? Any suggestions on tweaking this schedule?

Arnallop3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

I don't have this brand, but I do have high end LEDs and run my schedule:
11am: sunrise mode starts
12:30pm: lights reach full "daylight"
10:30pm: lights begin sunset mode
12:00am: lights out

(ramp up and ramp down times are 90 minutes)

Works really well for me and my corals. Congrats on the new lighting btw!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I run a similar "Black Box" Popular Grow light, it's wifi so I ramp it up for 2 1/2 hrs in the morning and at at night. 2:00-6:00 I run at my max which is 100% blue and 26% white. It's approx 11" above the waterline over a Red Sea Reefer Nano 21gal 18" cube tank.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 01:43 AM   #4
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Cheapreef. I'd like to upgrade to some wifi controlled ones in the future. But in the mean time. Timers will have to do.

I was planning on having mine 8-12 in above water.

How many watts is your black box?

So about a 4 hr cycle w both blue and white channels?

Unread 07/12/2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnallop3 View Post
Thanks for the input Cheapreef. I'd like to upgrade to some wifi controlled ones in the future. But in the mean time. Timers will have to do.

I was planning on having mine 8-12 in above water.

How many watts is your black box?

So about a 4 hr cycle w both blue and white channels?

Same watt rating as every other Black box 120w maxed out, the 165w they list is misleading. They only drive the 3w LEDs at approx 2.2 watts each and that would be at 100% on both blue and white channels.

Yes Blue ramps up for 2.5 hrs to the 100% level stays there for 4hrs then ramps back down for 2.5hrs.
White ramps up to 26% for 1 hr (starts 1.5hrs after blue) stays at the 26% for the same 4hrs the blues are on then ramps back down for 1.5hrs.
I have a 3rd channel which is moonlight that ramps longer both morning and night but that's just for smoother ramp/moonlight effect.

Unread 07/12/2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Yea I've read they aren't true to their wattage. At 170$ for the pair I can't complain haha with blues at 100% does that ever bleach any corals? Or is it the whites who can do the bleaching?
Heard these bad boys could be too intense if not careful.

Newbie so I got newbie questions

Unread 07/12/2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea I've read they aren't true to their wattage. At 170$ for the pair I can't complain haha with blues at 100% does that ever bleach any corals? Or is it the whites who can do the bleaching?
Heard these bad boys could be too intense if not careful.

Newbie so I got newbie questions
Blue can bleach just as fast as the white IMO. I took it slow and gradually ramped my settings up about 5% a week from 40% start. You can also run it at the desired intensity and hang it higher and lower a little each week. I have a PAR meter so I used that to set a base of 250 mid tank to start with and go from there. Currently I'm at 550 mid tank and I have seen no bleaching, actually coloring up far better than they ever have with the full blue. Just take it slow and aclimate new corals when you add.

Unread 07/12/2017, 12:19 PM   #8
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Thanks Ryan I don't know why I couldn't see your reply yesterday seems like it but popped up today.

Do you feel a 13 hr light cycle helps for more coral growth or is it a preference for viewing? I know a bit of it is ramp up and ramp down.

Also around what intensity are they at when both blue/whites are running?

Unread 07/12/2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Arnallop3
Registered Member

Excellent advice Cheapreef. Sound like you did some experimenting while setting it up to get the best lighting. I'm still cycling so once I hang them up I will add what's working for me.
Working on a DIY light rack which I hope to be done in a couple of days which I will also share on my tank build

Unread 07/23/2017, 12:48 PM   #10
coralfish
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
I run a similar "Black Box" Popular Grow light, it's wifi so I ramp it up for 2 1/2 hrs in the morning and at at night. 2:00-6:00 I run at my max which is 100% blue and 26% white. It's approx 11" above the waterline over a Red Sea Reefer Nano 21gal 18" cube tank.

Which led do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 220 Reef
coralfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 12:49 PM   #11
coralfish
Premium Member

How many for a 92 corner tank, mixed reef?

Current Tank Info: 220 Reef
coralfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfish View Post
Which led do you have?

I run a Popular Grow Wifi. If I had t buy again I would def go with th SB Reef light Extreme, I went with the PG to save some $$. My buddy went with the SB and it has a better spectrum and UV added, worth the extra IMO looking back.

Unread 11/03/2017, 07:20 AM   #13
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Anyone run these LED's for refiugium?

I have this, but the intensity setting is a manual twist knob for both white and blues, and I am having a hard time finding a setting that works well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 11:41 AM   #14
outy
Moved On

Quote:

I was thinking of 11am blues turn on at about 50% and have whites come on from 12-8pm at 30% shut off blues at 9pm. And have chaeto in sump on opposite light schedule.

How does that sound? Any suggestions on tweaking this schedule?
Exact time I'm running mine.

I have LPS and run 35% B and 25% W for starters. Every coral is thriving in a 30" deep tank.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 07:32 PM   #15
blasterman789
Registered Member

The Mars units and their clones throw a serious amount of PAR for the money. The Epistar LEDs they use should be around 3.4volts if the latest variety giving a power rating of ~ 130watts *if* they are pushing 700mA per channel, but I haven't tested a newer unit to see if it's power supply or LED limited. In any respect, the ones I've used I've rarely run the blue channel over 50%, and the only reefer I know personally who runs them flat out has the units over a 450gal SPS dominant.

You can't run the White channel anywhere near the same level as the blue...unless you want a 4000k tank. That's the biggest annoyance I find with the units - the white channel will almost never be used to full effect unless you are over fresh water. Also wish they had used a mix of different wavelength blue -vs- just 460s'.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
165w, led, mars aqua, marsaqua