Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Help aprox ID this?

Any input on what this might be, would be greatly appreciated!
https://youtu.be/-8pxR3D6DpY

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Anemone eggs.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Are you kidding?
I thought it was some kind of pest-critter!

Unread 09/30/2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I seriously thought the anemone would die.

Unread 09/30/2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Oh, please, somebody say that it is true and it's eggs and not pests!

Unread 10/01/2017, 07:33 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

What kind of anemone is it? M. doereensis?
Eggs does not move that fast. The only host anemones that reproduce with internal fertilization are E quadricolor, H malu and S gigantea. I have seen fertilized eggs in the mother in all three of these species. They do move actively but only slowly almost like go with the flow of fluid. However I know that they self initiated movement because I see several move pass each other in opposite direction in the mother tentacles.

The animal that move in the video posted by the OP cannot be anything other than a crustacean somehow living inside the anemone. This the first I have ever seen. Is the anemone healthy as far as you can determine? If he is well, just continue to take care of him like normal. If he is sick I would recommend treat him with Bayer insecticide. Bayer is very effective against crustaceans but safe with coral even at resonablely high dose.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Yes it a Macrodactyla Doreensis. I gave it a cup for its foot as you've recommend and it settled smoothly. It's in a specimen tank by itself and the rockwork I prepared for it seems to make a nest that it has approved of (so far). It is reacting sticky, accepting food, although it is slightly bleached but not too badly. It's foot is way-way too pale, more or less same colour as the disk and and skirts.

I noticed first one, then two of these small tiny dots.
It took some time before I realised that they were inside the tissue and not outside it, but they move everywhere, including up into the tentacles and are clearly just hanging out in there.
They seem like a sand spec, with a tiny tail or something.

The video is of the biggest one I have seen, and appears to have a tail almost like a crustacean?

I could see three today at the same time, so it has at least three of them, but none of those I saw today was the bigger one from the video. Perhaps it has left the anemone.

Thank you so much for the recommendation of the pesticide, I was very worried that I would have to see the anemone be eaten alive by some pest.

It's amazing that so much can be going on inside our pet anemones, thank you soooo much for helping me clarify this Minh, I really appreciate it and clear answers in the hobby can still be really hard to come by.

Unread 10/01/2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

Am I the only one who sees a copepod with two egg sacs? I also see what appears to be color spots on the anemone itself and I do not think they are eggs.

Unread 10/01/2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I totally agree, it could be the two eggsacks of a copepod giving the shape of it.

And the spots on the tentacles is just colouring.