Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2011, 08:39 PM   #76
SaraB
Coral Killer

Thanks Blurry. Yes, I planned on the getting the large quantity from Airgas here locally.

Unread 01/05/2011, 11:20 PM   #77
SkiFletch
Registered Member

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I must admit I'm amazed I didn't think of this myself since I use this stuff all the time at work. Some of you know I'm a hyperbarics research technician at UB and we're all about sodalime for all sorts of closed-circuit breathing systems, hopefully I can offer some practical insight. First off Gary, you're right, this stuff cannot be re-generated. We go through hundreds of 5g buckets of it per year, if there was a way to economically re-charge it, we would have found it .

Second, be careful with it. It is pretty basic, especially when mixed with water and you should really use gloves when working with it.

Lastly, getting full use out of it. We use MUCH higher loads on it in closed circuit rebreathing systems. For general reference, we burn through around 2 liters or quarts of it in a few hours worth of experimentation and I can confirm that at high flowrates, canister design makes a big difference but for lower flows, it's not that big a deal. And I'm talking phyisological flows, WAY higher than anything we'd use on an aquarium even at their slowest. So if I were designing a container for a reef application, a simple 2L bottle with pinholes in the top and airline glued in the bottom should be fine. I would not however be keen on using one of those canister filters for DI units as they offer no real in-line use of the media. They're desinged well for fluid applications, but probably not great for air applications like these.

Lastly FWIW, tests like Tom has done here show how slow the rate of communication our tanks have with the atmosphere in our homes is. It also proves how important air injection really is to seawater systems and how much we can actually "do" to change gas concentrations in our water with a skimmer. Great work Tom, and if I ever get serious about water chemistry and find myself with a CO2 problem in the winter, I may just do this

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 01:17 AM   #78
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Thanks Mike.

Sarah B. I run two skimmers and introduced it to one at a time. The tee in the air line really can give you fine tuning if the ph is going to high but I haven't needed it.

As for the calcium reactor, FWIW, I've had mine off line for about 2yrs now and corals have never been better.
Alk is very constant with kalj dosing I did use it alongside kalk dosing and now do quite well with just fully saturated kalk 24/7 from a still reservoir for a system loaded with growing sps. Once every two weeks or so I tweak it with a tablespoon of baked baking soda to maintain alk at around 9.6 on the 600gallon system. I also add 3/4 tblspn of calcium chloride to balance with the carbonate alk.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 09:02 AM   #79
frofan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFletch View Post
... I would not however be keen on using one of those canister filters for DI units as they offer no real in-line use of the media. They're desinged well for fluid applications, but probably not great for air applications like these....
Aren't the DI canister filters capable of handling high water pressure? If so, a near zero air pressure should result in an in-line air flow through the canister. Here is a link to the canister.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...raises-ph.html

Current Tank Info: 72G Bow Display, 45G lookdown frag tank w/250w MH, 40G basement sump / fuge, Iwaki 55RLT, SWC NW 200, Vortech MP40W + Battery Backup, Nova Extreme 6x54 T5
frofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 11:15 AM   #80
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Haven't used the canister. I use simple 2 liter plastic juice containers with slots cut in the bottom with a dremmel wheel and a hose to fit the skimmer air intake hose popped through the cap of the container. Works great for less than a dollar.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 01/06/2011, 11:22 AM   #81
SkiFletch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frofan View Post
Aren't the DI canister filters capable of handling high water pressure? If so, a near zero air pressure should result in an in-line air flow through the canister. Here is a link to the canister.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...raises-ph.html
Well yeah, that scrubber kit would work great. But notice there's a tube in the middle of the filter itself, allowing air to be drawn through large parts of the media at once. For anyone who wanted to buy bulk sodasorb you'd have to re-create this tube yourself either from plastic, cardboard, etc. Air comes in through the middle, and down out through the tube and the sides of the container, scrubbed, and then out. You unfortunately can't just pack the cansiter full of media, screw it on and hope for it to work.

We use similar designs for our own custom acrylic canisters. If you want something nice and pretty, you could do that, but if you want something that works and is cheap, the 2L bottle method is probably more where it's at

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 11:43 AM   #82
SaraB
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Sarah B. I run two skimmers and introduced it to one at a time. The tee in the air line really can give you fine tuning if the ph is going to high but I haven't needed it.

As for the calcium reactor, FWIW, I've had mine off line for about 2yrs now and corals have never been better.
Alk is very constant with kalj dosing I did use it alongside kalk dosing and now do quite well with just fully saturated kalk 24/7 from a still reservoir for a system loaded with growing sps. Once every two weeks or so I tweak it with a tablespoon of baked baking soda to maintain alk at around 9.6 on the 600gallon system. I also add 3/4 tblspn of calcium chloride to balance with the carbonate alk.
Thanks, I'll start with one pump/line and go from there as I watch my levels.

I've never had ALK stability with my Kalk reactor. Granted I have it stirring only 4 times a day for 20 minutes so maybe I have not saturated my top-off water enough. With the CA Reactor online now, my SPS is growing like mad, so I'm seeing positive results myself and my parameters are again stable.

Unread 01/06/2011, 06:40 PM   #83
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Glad the calcium reactor works for you. Many have success with them.

I dose kalk from a still reservoir brute garbage can ,stirred once a week and make sure stuff settles out for couple of hours with the peristaltic dosing pump off. It has been very consistent over the years.Unlike some kalk reactor applications teh still reservoir doses only clear kalk water at a constant saturation.

Unread 01/11/2011, 05:04 PM   #84
HiggyBrew
Registered Member

Some info from Molecular Products: Sofnolime will absorb ~ 110-140L of CO2 per Kg.

I'm waiting for a reply from a local retailer about the cost of a 5 gallon pail. I have a Vertex IN-280 that draws in outdoor air thru the soda lime (old kent phos reactor). It seems to only last a few days - so this may be too expensive for me to keep up. I guess I could put a "T" inline after scrubber to draw in some raw air (lowering the amount drawn into the scrubber), but that defeats the purpose...

HiggyBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 05:34 PM   #85
low riderr
Registered Member

i am waiting for my box so i can give this a try.the airgas outfit here in ithaca also offers it in 3lb bags but you had to buy the entire box of 12.same price as the bucket and its suposed to weigh about the same.the idea of the bags i guess is to keep it fresh.

low riderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 06:31 AM   #86
frofan
Registered Member

Ordered 5 3lb bags online from http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/so...hesia-products and the re-usable DI filter from BRS. The BRS DI filter should work perfectly, as the air will enter the cartridge on the outside of the re-usable filter and run up the filter from the bottom up. I'll post up some pictures once I have everything hooked up.

Current Tank Info: 72G Bow Display, 45G lookdown frag tank w/250w MH, 40G basement sump / fuge, Iwaki 55RLT, SWC NW 200, Vortech MP40W + Battery Backup, Nova Extreme 6x54 T5
Unread 01/12/2011, 01:41 PM   #87
redrider911
Registered Member

Is everyone just dumping a bunch in the container so it last longer, or a little at a time so it doesn't go bad?

Current Tank Info: 28gal oceanic biocube blank canvas
redrider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2011, 11:43 AM   #88
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I use about 2/3 liter( about 4 inches) in the container. I think the length/height of media the air passes through may contribute to it's effectiveness in pruging CO2 but don't know for sure.

Unread 01/14/2011, 05:02 PM   #89
denverhoss
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt220 View Post
...I burned through the stuff pretty fast though. About 1.5 lbs for me lasted for six days which is when the pH wouldn't max out as high. I am one guy in a 1 bedroom apartment who is gone 9.5 hours per day for work with the windows closed 24/7.
I wonder if a container with too many intake holes might cause the media to deplete faster? If the intake is significantly larger than the output line, would room air enter the container and then drift back out into the room without being pulled into the output tube? A worst case example would be putting the media in an open bowl, with the skimmer tube pulling air from the bottom of the bowl. Sure, the air that reaches the tube would be processed by the media, but the media surface exposed to the room air at the top of the bowl would deplete almost immediately. I’d think you’d want the openings in the container to be just slightly larger than the cross-section of the tube leading to the skimmer. Thoughts?

Unread 01/14/2011, 08:15 PM   #90
frofan
Registered Member

I agree that their is no reason for the entry hole to be larger than the size of the tube. A long narrow chamber with the media should be most effective.

Unread 01/25/2011, 01:48 PM   #91
lucidvtec
avid Reefer

any body got some links....that soda lime is expensive

i just need some for a 30gallon tank

thx

lucidvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 02:40 PM   #92
GMaquarium
Registered Member

So the other night as I am working on a sump, I realize Im gonna have two systmes inches away from each other and one is a planted freshwater tank with lots of injected Co2. Just saw this thread and remembered what to do. Thanks Tom for the idea.

Unread 01/25/2011, 03:43 PM   #93
pascal32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidvtec View Post
any body got some links....that soda lime is expensive

i just need some for a 30gallon tank

thx
for smaller volume purchases this seems reasonable: http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/so...hesia-products

pascal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 05:15 PM   #94
low riderr
Registered Member

maybe i am crazy but it seems when my ph starts to drop a bit i give my home made scrubber a shake and a little bit later the ph is back up.give it a try see if you can extend the life of your soda lime.let me know if iam goin nuts, or if it really works for you to.

low riderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 09:24 PM   #95
pascal32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by low riderr View Post
maybe i am crazy but it seems when my ph starts to drop a bit i give my home made scrubber a shake and a little bit later the ph is back up.give it a try see if you can extend the life of your soda lime.let me know if iam goin nuts, or if it really works for you to.
the air might have a path through the media which results in depleting the reactive material in the soda lime while leaving un-reacted soda lime in other regions.

pascal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 09:48 AM   #96
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I shake mine once in a while too.

Unread 03/05/2011, 07:46 PM   #97
sandgoby
Registered Member

Hello,
After reading this thread I decided to give this a try, a local scuba store had a blow out on their soda lime so I got a 5 gal jug. After 24 hours I have had a pH increase of 1.0 overall! I have never been able to get my pH over 8.12 no matter what I did. As of right now my DT is running 8.2. Great thread I will post a few ideas once I have had a chance to try them out. One in particular is to have a 12V solenoid switch open and allow room air to enter the skimmer once a max pH target is reached. This of course is to avoid pH levels over 8.4. Once I have it all working I will post some pics.

S

sandgoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2011, 10:53 PM   #98
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

thanks for the post.

Unread 04/09/2011, 08:25 PM   #99
edandsandy
Registered Member

Any updates anyone?

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 06:55 PM   #100
Jakef150
Registered Member

Always stuck at 7.8

Will it work with tunze 9002 the smaller skimmer for my biocube 29 ?

I m guess to use SMALL media of lime for 29g ? I don't want it to pike it Hugh over 8.3

I want stay around 8.2

How often do I change the media for small tank 29g?

The link above 3lbs soda lime- how long do you think it will last ?

Thanks
Jake

Last edited by Jakef150; 11/15/2011 at 07:02 PM.
Jakef150 is offline   Reply With Quote