Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2016, 01:22 PM   #776
TooManyHumans
Registered Member

Hi I've had my copperband around 4 months
Unfortunately I've had an out beak of ich and lost half my fish. Nightmare

I have moved remainder of fish to a quarantine tank and started treating with copper.

Elvis the cbb has never had a problem eating live brine and frozen mysis but these past 3 days in the qt tank and he has stopped eating.

Any ideas to get him back eating he never showed any signs of ich but moved him as a precaution.

I am also new to the hobby.

Thanks

Last edited by TooManyHumans; 06/10/2016 at 02:12 PM.
TooManyHumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2016, 01:32 PM   #777
Hal
Registered Member

Live blackworms. If a CBB won't eat them, it generally won't eat anything.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2016, 06:44 PM   #778
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyHumans View Post
Hi I've had my copperband around 4 months
Unfortunately I've had an out beak of ich and lost half my fish. Nightmare

I have moved remainder of fish to a quarantine tank and started treating with copper.

Elvis the cbb has never had a problem eating live brine and frozen mysis but these past 3 days in the qt tank and he has stopped eating.

Any ideas to get him back eating he never showed any signs of ich but moved him as a precaution.

I am also new to the hobby.

Thanks
mine wont eat anything except clams. He eats those right out of my hand he loves them.

jminick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2016, 11:52 AM   #779
TooManyHumans
Registered Member

Smile

Got him eating white and red worms
I can't get black worm in my lfs.

He still will not eat anything else but the trick that worked for me was to put the worms onto some rock in the QT tank then he ate them.
He would not even take them when floating in the water.

Now he can't eat enough of them.

He will not touch clams at the min.
Or even caviar)

TooManyHumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 01:04 PM   #780
orly20
Registered Member

Hi

Might be a stupid question but is it possible to keep a regular Copperband with a Muelleri Copperband in the same tank?

orly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 06:18 PM   #781
Cavediver50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellejy View Post

My husband calls him Thong because he is skinny and likes to go in cracks.

That is hilarious..., has to be one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.... your rolling eyes helped too.... hehe

Cavediver50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 08:03 PM   #782
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

One of the ways I keep the more vigorous eaters from interfering with my CBB getting enough to eat is to hand feed him. If I put the food between my thumb and index finger with a little pressure, he is the only one that can get to it.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:34 AM   #783
jjoos99
Registered Member

has anyone been able to keep a cbb with a tube anemone? Are they good kept with a maxima clam? I am thinking since they love eating clams on half shells they might go after maxima.
thanks
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 12:29 PM   #784
Cavediver50
Registered Member

My CBB nips sometimes at my Featherduster. it instantly retracts...., I don't see any damage on it though. Probably because they are faster than light speed at closing....

Cavediver50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 12:58 AM   #785
Andrew D
Registered Member

My CBB decimated my featherduster population, both the small invasive kind and also the larger ornamental ones as well. He's left my tube anemone as well as my christmas tree worms alone though.

Current Tank Info: 350G DT, 700G system including in-line mantis, anemone and frag tanks
Andrew D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 05:42 PM   #786
jjoos99
Registered Member

looking at liveaquaria they have cbb from 4 different locations. Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines. the ausi one is too expensive at $200, so of the others which one will have the best chance of making it? I am alittle concerned about one getting bullied by my tangs, purple, powder blue, yellow. The purple is pretty aggressive towards my moorish idol.
thanks
jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 11:52 AM   #787
Hal
Registered Member

I've always heard that the Aussies are the most robust. I presume the capture method is easier on the fish.

As far as the others, I've never heard of any difference. As long as it's eating, it should be fine. Cyanide catching has been greatly reduced from what it once was. Regardless, liveaquaria gives you the 14 day guarantee. That's usually enough.

I've had slightly better luck with the larger specimens. It could be just random chance, but I think that the larger bodies gives them a larger fat storage and more margin for error.

For food, I've always had the best results with live blackworms. PE brand mysis was my next best. I think the larger mysis that PE provides has more fat/protein than a smaller mysis. I've tried several brands and keep coming back to PE.

Just remember that CBB's can be outcompeted for food by other fish, e.g., tangs. I would target feed mine to make sure they got enough food. With my next CBB (tank is being setup after a cross country move where I sold all my fish), I'm looking at a special CBB feeder. Take a small piece of PVC pipe, cap both ends (glue one, pressure fit the other), and drill 1/4 inch holes all around the diameter near the bottom. Put the mysis inside and only the CBB's long nose can get to them. Hang on the side of the tank with a fishing line.

And yes, kiss any feather dusters good bye. A small price to pay for the CBB.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL

Last edited by Hal; 12/28/2017 at 11:58 AM.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 12:17 PM   #788
OrionN
Moved on

Not only feather duster but worms in the rock and sand bed like Medusa worms and other worms. There will be wipe out too.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper banded butterfly