Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2016, 11:59 AM   #251
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Still bothered over the little guy passing. Looks like the starfish is still working on him, shrimp are standing by very closely waiting patiently for him to release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2016, 07:05 AM   #252
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Oh boy. Here's a twist to the death of the yellow head jaw!

In the fuge yesterday I couldn't figure out why there was a den made, with sand all pushed around. There shouldn't be any hitchhikers, and for something to get to our fuge from DT, it's a journey.

Well, I come down this morning to a yellow head in the fuge!! Mind you, it went thru the teeth of the overflow, they plumbing, somehow made it through the filter sock on the left, then thru the rock fuge and to the sand fuge? Not sure how in the HECK it would do that. I can understand it getting to the rock fuge, but make it thru the rock fuge? Odd. A mystery I will never know the answer to.

We may have two yellow heads, we may have one. Will wait until the DT wakes up to see if the 2nd still exists.

I'm starting to think this guy didn't end up getting eaten by the starfish, but went for an adventure, even though he was on his last leg when we last viewed him.

I may keep him in the fuge with sand. Negative would be stirring up DSB, I'll do some research to see if this is advised or not.

Unread 07/31/2016, 02:27 PM   #253
dave.m
Registered Member

There is no problem keeping fish in the DSB filter. He won't go deep, certainly not deeper than the upper zone of a couple of inches, anyway. Besides, any digging he does is just going to increase the anoxic zone, which will help provide more bacterial gas exchange in the upper layers.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2016, 02:53 PM   #254
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
There is no problem keeping fish in the DSB filter. He won't go deep, certainly not deeper than the upper zone of a couple of inches, anyway. Besides, any digging he does is just going to increase the anoxic zone, which will help provide more bacterial gas exchange in the upper layers.

Dave.M

Love it, Dave! Thanks so much for chiming in and reading. Provides some relief. Looks like he's going to occupy the fuge!

Unread 08/01/2016, 06:34 AM   #255
MrsReefK
Registered Member

These yellow head jaw fish should have a tv series.

So it continues. One lived in the data and one somehow in the fuge. But, there's no longer on in DT..... He's in the bottom of the overflow. No way even possible for me to get in there to actually retrieve him out, to the drawing board we go to figure this guy out. He's been through some adventure, I'm going to say he's too small to be in DT, sucked into PHs, starfish "attack" and now down the overflow box.... It's been a week for him. He might be relieved being in there.... Until he finds the bean animals pipes....

Unread 08/01/2016, 08:39 AM   #256
Ojos22
Registered Member

I had a neon cleaner goby once who made it from the DT down to the sump and back up somehow. I don't know how he made it through the return pump alive. This happened over a 24 hour period.

Do you have anything in place that would prevent the Jawfish from exiting the Fuge area?

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 09:05 AM   #257
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos22 View Post
I had a neon cleaner goby once who made it from the DT down to the sump and back up somehow. I don't know how he made it through the return pump alive. This happened over a 24 hour period.

Do you have anything in place that would prevent the Jawfish from exiting the Fuge area?

Crazy what the can accomplish in such little time. I put a filter sock on front he overflow of the fuge area so it can't escape again.

Now what to do with the one in the overflow. Darn fishes.

Unread 08/01/2016, 09:50 AM   #258
Desmondkg
Registered Member

Beautiful tank and setup. Very cool thread 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Desmondkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 11:26 AM   #259
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Thanks! Recorded this for a fellow Reefer looking at using a lifereef with a Vectra. Might as well put it on here too, should it help anyone!

The black piece of Laminated paper on the right of the column, we made that because the frag tank light was spilling (hence the very blue video) over and skimmer was getting algae.

Unread 08/02/2016, 07:25 PM   #260
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Bryopsis update: we are fortunate (does anyone use fortunate and bryopsis in the same sentence? Haha) enough that bryopsis is contained to the frag tank, and only on a few frags and the frag racks. Took out all frags and with a magnifying glass and tweezers, took a stab at every piece I could find.

Today, took out all frags, then took the racks out and scrubbed them to the bone clean. Will be watching for more to pop up, I'm determined to get this crap out.

Dinos update: dinos or something very similar was contained to one rock in the DT and a few in the frag. Thankfully all were scrub-able.

I know, I'm overreacting a bit. And find the source! Bryopsis was a non QTd frag before I started QTing.

New fish arrive tomorrow and SPS frag pack next week.

Will run through pics of the fish room this weekend to give everyone an update. Frags will start hitting the DT once we know bryopsis is tackled. I'll give it a few more weeks of seeing zero bryopsis before moving frags in.

One thing we are being taken over by is the mini feather dusters. 6 line is in the frag tank now that it finished QT, not sure if it will help all of the feather dusters. I know they're harmless, hit they're multiplying.

Feed less, right? Lol

Unread 08/02/2016, 07:43 PM   #261
biecacka
Registered Member

I had an anemone once go into my overflow, through the teeth, down the drain, through the filter socks and attach to the glass in my sump. I could get him out for 6 months due to limited access to that part of my sump. Poor design on my part, but when I redid my sump I put it in the display tank. Was almost translucent I color and it eventually colored back up and looks great.
The fascination of travels in a reef tank!!!!!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 07:45 PM   #262
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I had an anemone once go into my overflow, through the teeth, down the drain, through the filter socks and attach to the glass in my sump. I could get him out for 6 months due to limited access to that part of my sump. Poor design on my part, but when I redid my sump I put it in the display tank. Was almost translucent I color and it eventually colored back up and looks great.
The fascination of travels in a reef tank!!!!!

Corey

Hah!! Great story!!! Crazy what the critters can do.

Unread 08/04/2016, 09:06 AM   #263
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Had some minor algae in the DT that didn't phase me, seemed to be hair algae on a few rocks. Chaeto went 72 days in QT (I'm a freak on trying to limit disease coming in from other folks tanks) and is now in the fuge. It went in 4 days ago, and hair algae in DT is entirely gone!! Great to see it working. Chaeto is under Kessil grow light 24/7.

Unread 08/04/2016, 01:55 PM   #264
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Diamond watchmen goby = best purchase yet. I love watching this guy. Granted the tank is a bit cloudy since him going in, but I hope it's just because he's really the first one stirring up the sand. He's hilarious to watch. He has his certain areas to take different sized rubble. Large pieces go near his hole under one rock, medium go up on top of a different rock as if he's rejecting them (maybe saving for later? Hoarder!) and then any shells he finds go in a different place. He's well organized for sure.

Thankfully zero aggression from the powder brown tang to the new tankmates that came out of QT. I hope it continues this great citizen behavior. Unlikely, but I can dream!

Unread 08/04/2016, 02:28 PM   #265
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I gotta follow along on this. Where in Michigan are you located? I'm in Plymouth. :0)

Will you be at the frag swap Sunday? We sure will be!

Unread 08/04/2016, 02:35 PM   #266
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Progression shot of setosa. March to now.

Middle, right above the shrimp in March.

Now.

Unread 08/04/2016, 02:38 PM   #267
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Some pics of the frag tank. GSP will be not be hitting DT, need to get the leather off of its rock. The color on the leather tho, it's great!

Unread 08/04/2016, 02:39 PM   #268
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I really need to whip out the good camera now that I have things to takes pics of!

Unread 08/05/2016, 01:26 AM   #269
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Will you be at the frag swap Sunday? We sure will be!

I won't be going as I'm in Germany for work until next Friday. Enjoy!!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 05:50 AM   #270
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I won't be going as I'm in Germany for work until next Friday. Enjoy!!

Bummer, safe travels!

Unread 08/06/2016, 06:45 AM   #271
MrsReefK
Registered Member

The order of fish that arrived this week, something is off. Haven't even started TTM yet because these guys are all just soooo freaked out. You walk past their tank and they are shooting across the tank in pure fear. Each one of them.

Unread 08/06/2016, 11:14 AM   #272
dave.m
Registered Member

That's usually a sign that they aren't used to being fed by humans, yet. They'll start to calm down when they start to associate you with food. Then you won't be able to get rid of them. They'll follow you home and lurk in your cupboards and beg to borrow the car keys all the time. They can become a real nuisance after that.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2016, 07:17 PM   #273
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
That's usually a sign that they aren't used to being fed by humans, yet. They'll start to calm down when they start to associate you with food. Then you won't be able to get rid of them. They'll follow you home and lurk in your cupboards and beg to borrow the car keys all the time. They can become a real nuisance after that.

Dave.M

Haha! They have snuck a few dollars from my purse that I noticed. Car keys will be the final straw!

They are still the same, freaking the heck out. TTM will start soon for them, they'll need to get used to it soon!

Someone's hungry. Can't wait to get the good camera out to take pics of these guys!

Unread 08/09/2016, 07:20 PM   #274
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Insane SPS pack arrived today. 23 great sized frags! Can't wait to see these babies grow. A few had polyp extension in the bags, several had polyp extension almost immediately once hitting the frag tank after dipping.

Unread 08/12/2016, 10:34 AM   #275
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Not a single sign of bryopsis since we tore apart the frag tank and scrubbed everything! Crossing my finger it stays away! Haven't seen any dinos since removing the only rock that had them also.

Diatoms, hair algae and cyano haven't been around either. DT it looking good.

Chaeto is growing like a champ with the fuge full of HA too. Snails are going to town on the HA and making good grounds. Overall, it's maturing nicely. I believe we're at about 4-5 months now of maturity, I'd have took back and look at dates