Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2016, 10:14 AM   #1
larcat
Registered Member

Lots of live tisbe pods as sps food.

Hi all.

According to the sizes, tisbe should be a fine sps food source. They also generally hand out around rock, so should be in the reach of sps polyps.

Do you think regular additions of tisbe from culture would be a viable phyto food source for sps?

larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2016, 08:49 AM   #2
larcat
Registered Member

Bump!

There's all sorta of information on Artemis as sps food, but can't find a mention of tisbe. Tisbe seem to be a more suitable size, so...

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
Hi all.

According to the sizes, tisbe should be a fine sps food source. They also generally hand out around rock, so should be in the reach of sps polyps.

Do you think regular additions of tisbe from culture would be a viable phyto food source for sps?

Unread 03/13/2016, 09:06 AM   #3
larcat
Registered Member

Bumping again --

Really no one has tried culturing tisbe as sps food?

Unread 03/15/2016, 03:29 PM   #4
larcat
Registered Member

Buuump!

Anyone seen sps eating Tisbe?

Unread 03/16/2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Mark426
Registered Member

I think they are too large for most sps

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 07:23 AM   #6
larcat
Registered Member

Pretty sure this isn't the case -- There's a couple articles about SPS eating Artemia Nauplii, which are ~4 times the size of Tisbe.

For reference --

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/aafeature1

There's a couple other sources about this as well.

Example:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=15

Online sources put newly hatched Artemia at ~ 4-500. Not sure on adults.

Tisbe Nauplii are 55-100, adults under 1mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark426 View Post
I think they are too large for most sps

Unread 03/16/2016, 07:40 AM   #7
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Live copepods may well be a great food for many corals in your tank, though they're just "empty shells" unless they're artificially enriched with a diverse mixture of phytoplankton and amino acid/fatty acid supplementation.

The issue that you may find is that it's difficult and inconvenient to grow large amounts of any copepod. I've 4 different species under culture for several years, and the culture density is nowhere near what you can achieve with, for example, rotifers.

And for your average aquarist, buying a bottle or two of phytofeast and oysterfeast every once in a while is far cheaper and less work.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 07:48 AM   #8
larcat
Registered Member

I'm setting up two (equipment wise) robust tisbe cultures regardless (redundancy) to open up pipe/dragonette keeping.

My curiosity is about sps feeding as a nice side benefit.

If I'm successful with the cultures using either Algagen or Reed's bottled products, I'll likely order rotigrow, which should work (I believe) for enrichment.

My thought process is that if live tisbes work as SPS food, I can feed relatively heavily from the two cultures without adding, effectively, rotting food to the tank only a small amount of which is uptook by SPS.

I agree with you about the PITA part of pods. I think I figured out a relatively inexpensive way to head off most of the pitfalls we had when we did it before. Long term viability for us, though, is somewhat dependent on freezable paste (the Roti Grow) being viable as a food source for the tisbes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
Live copepods may well be a great food for many corals in your tank, though they're just "empty shells" unless they're artificially enriched with a diverse mixture of phytoplankton and amino acid/fatty acid supplementation.

The issue that you may find is that it's difficult and inconvenient to grow large amounts of any copepod. I've 4 different species under culture for several years, and the culture density is nowhere near what you can achieve with, for example, rotifers.

And for your average aquarist, buying a bottle or two of phytofeast and oysterfeast every once in a while is far cheaper and less work.