Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: How should I set up my largest tank 150 gallon rectangle
Predator 1 6.25%
Fowlr mostly peaceful fish 2 12.50%
Reef sps and zoos 12 75.00%
Lps 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Dizzle
Registered Member

Talking Large interconnected ecosystem set up with Multipul biotopes

Hey I'm new to the reef forums but I have been very interested in aquariums for a long time but ill get to the point. I have a collection of used tanks that I have bought over the years and upgraded from. My idea is to find a way to make a diverse system including a 75 gallon bow front as a predator tank 150 gallon reef tank a 60 gallon refugium with mangroves and a slanting substrate going from high almost at the waterline at one end and then down to almost nothing I would like a small seagrass environment and finally a sump to tie everything together I might go over board and include another 20 gallon tank above the 150 as a surge generator. I have to many things to list but I do have all the lights and equipment to run a full 150 75 and 40 salt water set ups. Only the 75 is running ATM and it's full to the top with the consolidated live rock and such. Just looking for some ideas guys might have to tie it all together I have been brainstorming and reaserching for quite a while but before I elaborate further i would like to see if anyone is interested in what I'm trying to do and if they have any ideas I will keep this up to date with pictures progress and a detailed description of how everything was done I'm thinking a central sump that has two pumps one for the 75 and the other with control valves for the fuge and sea grass I will also be making a fitting for a calcium reactor and possibly a media reactor.

Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 10:05 PM   #2
IDrawFish
Registered Member

Sounds like quite a project... I'd love to see it done, first thing first... start mapping out tank positioning in your room and then work on plumbing scenarios... once you post up some sketches of plans I'm sure plenty of people will chime in with ideas

IDrawFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 10:36 PM   #3
LIONFISH5740
Registered Member

Love the idea, seen something like that in a saltwater magazine lately. Wish I could remember what it was exactly. I would say pick an area of the reef to mimic (top, ledge, alcove, ect.) and try to use inhabitants from one particular area like the Caribbean or whatever you like. But it's your project so it is really up to you. I do look forward to seeing what you create

LIONFISH5740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Dizzle
Registered Member

Ya I think I'm going to find an exact place to mimic and have small sections to show shallow water reefs and then deeper predatorily areas then the coast and close shore

Unread 01/28/2011, 11:22 AM   #5
RenoR1
Registered Member

Hey Dizzle,

What's your address? I'm going to go buy you a new keyboard with a working " . " key and mail it to you

Just messing with you,

RenoR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Dizzle
Registered Member

Lol I'm using my iPhone with a fully smashed screen I'm lucky I'm getting words on here lol sorry I'll start working on punctuation. I'll start with (.) lol

Unread 01/29/2011, 09:02 AM   #7
d2mini
Registered Member

Well technically, the plumbing really wouldn't be any different than most LFS setups, right? I mean those are a bunch of tanks running together, sharing the same water. Of course yours would look much cooler, but behind the scenes it should be fairly similar yet simpler since you wont have nearly as many tanks. Maybe one or two of your LFS wouldn't mind giving you a little tour if you explain what you are trying to do.

Now how to display them in a clean and creative way... that's the real challenge.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Matt Dean
I don't like wet hands!

Keep in mind, your predator tank will contribute a lot of nutrients that the reef tank will have to contend with. Predators are messy eaters and usually the P04 and N03 is much higher than an SPS reef will be able to handle.

So, I would assume you would need to have the sump/fuge/filtration between the predator tank and the others so the nutrients are exported before they reach the reef tanks.

Cool idea, though good luck

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon custom Starphyre Peninsula
Matt Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotope, ecosystem, reef, refugium, unique