Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Ckountz
Registered Member.

Questions

I bought a 150gl tank that's stocked with some fish and coral. Getting ready to pick up. Can I give it a good cleaning before I refill or should I wait to fill then clean it? Just worried about the amount of time the livestock will be in buckets...
Also, tank comes with a Solaris LED light. Are these good quality?

Thanks for any help!

Ckountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Wipe the whitened areas with straight white vinegar, then wipe with water. That'll take five minutes. You should have a qt tank anyway. Can you turn up a thinwalled 30 for the fish? [Hoping they're not large...] If you could set up a proper barebottom qt you could keep the fish for 5 days....and you may have a mini-cycle in about 5 days that won't threaten the corals so much as the fish, who may die 3 days from being exposed to ammonia. At very least, use the waste water to wash that sand within an inch of its life, until water runs as clear as you can get it. If you have to use tapwater-based salt water to wash with, CONDITION it with chlorine remover and finish up with a bit of used saltwater or pure ro/di water. Rock goes down first, then sand. And 5 days on the tank may undergo an ammonia spike that can kill the fish. Have Amquel on hand. This is an ammonia neutralizer---I think it shifts it to ammonium, which is harmless. Don't delay more than a few hours getting this running again. Your fish should be in another tank; fish, corals and live rock ALL require aeration---if a tank, with all its capacity, loses power, it usually has only 8 hours to live; coral and fish in a bucket have far shorter a time. Aeration is a must.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Playa-1
Moved On

I would set up temp holding tanks for the fish and coral. That way I would have the time to set up the DT the way I wanted including cleaning it up if necessary.

The biggest worry about moving a tank like that is the possibility of it cycling after the move and throwing the water parameters out of whack. Especially an Ammonia spike, That could be problematic. I personally would plan a way to support livestock for an extended period out of the tank if it became necessary. It would be wise to have this planned in advance with Contingency plans in place. Saturday night at 10:30 pm is not a good time to figure out that you don't have a working heater, or any mixed salt water. What if all the fish break out in white spots while in the buckets?

My point is that this need careful consideration. Quality of the lighting system that is currently supporting the tank is of your least concerns at this point.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking down, led aquarium lights, set up