Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2018, 01:41 PM   #1
alex gonzales
Registered Member

Bare bottom with clam

Can a clam be in a bare bottom tank and thrive? I had him set on sand but he always seems to end up on a spot with no sand.

alex gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 06:57 PM   #2
carrots
Registered Member

I have a BB tank but the clam is now up on the rocks. When it was on the bottom it was small and never anchored its foot. It was always moving and falling on its side. That is a sign that the clam isn't happy there. Not sure how big or how long you have had it but if it is new you may want to move it to another spot. When it is happy with lighting and flow it will put down its foot.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 07:27 PM   #3
alex gonzales
Registered Member

It kept moving every time I placed it in the sand, but hasn't moved since I left it on the bare bottom. Have only had it about 4 weeks, but seems to be very healthy.

alex gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

You can get a small piece of rock and make a sort of cradle for it in the middle, a low spot as you will, and place them there so that they are not leaning or rocking and usually they will attach to that rock. I have seen it done in the past and bought them this way. There used to be a frag plug type of cradle for them that was made back in the day.

Unread 06/01/2018, 05:32 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I thing I read somewhere that if they attach to glass, they can eventually crack it, as in nature they slowly bore into the rock below them (especially Maxima vs. Crocea clams).

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote