Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 04:27 AM   #7176
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
Question on a Reef Octopus 110 classic. Just filled tank and sump, started it up and have perfect flow through sump. Put skimmer on stand to give it the 7" optimal water level, opened valve all the way open and within 10 seconds the collection fills up with foam/water. I know that all skimmers have "break in" period, but shouldn't overflow the cup with valve all the way open? Looking for any answers...
Did it ever settle down?

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 09:11 AM   #7177
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
Did it ever settle down?
No. I was reading on another thread that someone had same issue. I did start up with CaribSea Live sand and used the clarifier that was packed with it. I'm going to used some carbon and do a water change this weekend and see if it helps.
I'm also having some issues with my beananimal overflow and getting a bit of air through the open channel still so not sure if the skimmer is picking some of that as well...

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 01:43 PM   #7178
shred5
Registered Member

Skimmer do over flow when new especially in a new tank. My guess is something is in your water though..

Add some polyfilter and some carbon.. You can run the skimmer with the cup off or if it is not real bad run the drain to a bucket and top off tank with new saltwater.

Unread 03/29/2018, 04:57 PM   #7179
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Skimmer do over flow when new especially in a new tank. My guess is something is in your water though..

Add some polyfilter and some carbon.. You can run the skimmer with the cup off or if it is not real bad run the drain to a bucket and top off tank with new saltwater.
Yeah, within 10 seconds there is so much suds that it is overflowing the cup! I took the collection cup off to run it for a while but it just covers my sump with suds and I was afraid of it starting to flow back up to the DT!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1756.JPG (31.7 KB, 35 views)
Unread 03/29/2018, 04:58 PM   #7180
GoNoles
Registered Member

Sorry about the sideways pic

Unread 03/29/2018, 05:29 PM   #7181
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
Sorry about the sideways pic
are you running fresh carbon either passively or in a reactor (reactors better, but both work)?

live sand isn't as live as they advertise. the bacterial die off always made my skimmers bug out for a while. yours is lasting longer than expected though so hang in there. Run the carbon and if you can, connect a hose to the drain on the cup and run with the cup attached. let the drain run into a jug or bowl and dump and replace. May need to mark the sump level with some tape or something so you can keep the level up as you replace whats skimmed out with the new water.

this takes a while but when i've done this, my skimmers have always settled down.

Is you system new?

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
Unread 03/29/2018, 06:25 PM   #7182
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
are you running fresh carbon either passively or in a reactor (reactors better, but both work)?

live sand isn't as live as they advertise. the bacterial die off always made my skimmers bug out for a while. yours is lasting longer than expected though so hang in there. Run the carbon and if you can, connect a hose to the drain on the cup and run with the cup attached. let the drain run into a jug or bowl and dump and replace. May need to mark the sump level with some tape or something so you can keep the level up as you replace whats skimmed out with the new water.

this takes a while but when i've done this, my skimmers have always settled down.

Is you system new?
Totally new startup. New water, new skimmer, sand, etc. Waiting on Refugium Startup Pack from Algae Barn (they are a little backordered right now, apparently) to start the cycle. I have not, as yet, started running carbon so that is what I will try.
Thank you very much!

Unread 03/29/2018, 06:53 PM   #7183
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Cool. Enjoy the new set up. Always fun getting new gear and dialing things in.
Happy reefing

Unread 04/03/2018, 07:32 AM   #7184
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Akula 160 skimmer arrived last light. already wet and breaking in. Will do full review after it's had time to settle in. Nice skimmer. surprised at how heavy it is. i think the lid alone weighs at least a pound. super beefy & nice cnc work on pvc.

Last edited by reeftivo; 04/03/2018 at 07:41 AM.
Unread 04/03/2018, 07:47 AM   #7185
shred5
Registered Member

Very nice you got it. Might be a while before I order one. The weather has me so far behind on my new build and it is costing me allot more than i thought with 2 builds going on at the same time.

Told you it was well built. These things should be flying off the shelf. I always thought my RLSS was the best skimmer for the money but their is no doubt these are and they are far better built than RLSS skimmers. They are built like a high end skimmer, perform pretty close to the top skimmers if not better than some but priced like a middle of the road skimmer. They use a very reliable pump and parts are easy to get for it and low priced.

i usually buy different skimmers for each build so I can help people with their skimmers. But these skimmers are so good I see no reason to do a different skimmer unless someone offered me A BK cheap but that will not happen.
I think if they got a good us distributor they could change the market.

Unread 04/03/2018, 07:56 AM   #7186
reeftivo
Skim junkie

I like how the BB box is tapered inside and the lid has a dome taper as well. I could be wrong but i doubt this thing pulls 500 lph. I'll have to get a meter on it soon. I have it running at 8.6 inches (22cm) like they recommend and wow what a difference in performance from where i started at which was 7 inches. they weren't kidding with that depth recommendation. this morning it was starting up the neck with a nice dense, pillowy foam head (similar to my ATB nano one and the BK mini 160).

thanks for the recommendation. i think this may be a keeper ;-)

oh btw, build quality IS on par with bubble king with the exception of some polishing on the edges of the top of neck and the cnc'd BK logos.

Unread 04/03/2018, 08:35 AM   #7187
shred5
Registered Member

Do you have a picture of your skimmer. Sounds like it might be different than mine.
I was looking online and they look different too..

Unread 04/03/2018, 10:15 AM   #7188
reeftivo
Skim junkie

it looks just like the pics of yours i've seen.

I didn't get pics yet because i was lazy and figured after it breaks in I will do a review and break it down temporarily for a light cleaning and pics.

the lid has a solid cnc'd taper in the lid where the foam pushes into and diverts downwards. Also, the bubble box on the pump has a rounded taper inside on the top portion.

another feature that i noticed is the venturi which is completely rounded out inside and the air injects directly into the flow entering. most other venturi's have the air injected between the outer edge and inner machined collar. not sure if your's is like that.

Unread 04/03/2018, 10:17 AM   #7189
reeftivo
Skim junkie

very PILLOWY foam head :-)

Unread 04/03/2018, 05:48 PM   #7190
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Do you have a picture of your skimmer. Sounds like it might be different than mine.
I was looking online and they look different too..
got busy here at work. now that i think of it, the pump is slightly different.
it has a frosted translucent volute (can see impeller) and a white volute cover plate with a white rear plate. not sure if your venturi and BB box is different since i couldn't see that in your pics. It's still a psk600 block though.

I'll get some pics up soon

Unread 04/05/2018, 07:01 AM   #7191
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
got busy here at work. now that i think of it, the pump is slightly different.
it has a frosted translucent volute (can see impeller) and a white volute cover plate with a white rear plate. not sure if your venturi and BB box is different since i couldn't see that in your pics. It's still a psk600 block though.

I'll get some pics up soon

Yea I saw some newer picture and it looked different. It did not look like it had the knob or they changed it for the fine tune adjustment on the output but it may possible have been old pictures.

My question is it an improvement or did they cheapen it some?

Unread 04/05/2018, 07:40 AM   #7192
reeftivo
Skim junkie

as far as i can tell it is the same as yours except for the pump. same adjustment knob, same clear riser up to the knob. I'll get some pictures tonight. It's breaking in nicely and very quiet. Nothing cheap about this skimmer ;-).

Unread 04/05/2018, 07:46 AM   #7193
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
as far as i can tell it is the same as yours except for the pump. same adjustment knob, same clear riser up to the knob. I'll get some pictures tonight. It's breaking in nicely and very quiet. Nothing cheap about this skimmer ;-).

Cool that is what I want to hear.

Unread 04/05/2018, 06:28 PM   #7194
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Akula pump.you can see the clear volute with white cover and the white back plate
20180405_165428.jpg

Fine tune gate valve knob
20180405_165415.jpg

Last edited by reeftivo; 04/05/2018 at 07:29 PM.
Unread 04/06/2018, 10:03 AM   #7195
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Akula pump.you can see the clear volute with white cover and the white back plate
Attachment 389702

Fine tune gate valve knob
Attachment 389703

Thanks yea it does not look allot different .. The back of the pump is now white I see..
Let me know when you do the review...

Unread 04/21/2018, 05:31 PM   #7196
Jwey
Registered Member

I have a SWC 300 skimmer and the pump failed so I put on a Jebao DC 12000 with a needle wheel.
My questions is since the original pump was sized for 1500 GPH what effect will putting 2x the water flow thru the skimmer?

The Jebao at setting 5 should have around 2700 GPH but this may be reduced because of the needle wheel?

Is it better to have slower flow so the bubbles have time to grab onto the bad and skim out?

What does having to much flow do to the performance of the skimmer?

Jwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:23 PM   #7197
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwey View Post
I have a SWC 300 skimmer and the pump failed so I put on a Jebao DC 12000 with a needle wheel.
My questions is since the original pump was sized for 1500 GPH what effect will putting 2x the water flow thru the skimmer?

The Jebao at setting 5 should have around 2700 GPH but this may be reduced because of the needle wheel?

Is it better to have slower flow so the bubbles have time to grab onto the bad and skim out?

What does having to much flow do to the performance of the skimmer?
Well depends.. Too much flow and you could shoot water out the top if the exit can not handle it.. The biggest issue is you will probably load the sump with micro bubbles and have way to much turbulence in the skimmer body. I wouldn't do it.

Unread 04/22/2018, 06:59 AM   #7198
Jwey
Registered Member

I am able to control the flow and keep it at the neck.
There is very little micro bubbles coming out of the skimmer into the sump.
The Jebao has been running for months but I am not getting a good dark skimate.

My question was related to the flow rate thru the skimmer and how it effects the capturing/skimming performance.

Last edited by Jwey; 04/22/2018 at 07:33 AM.
Jwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 11:56 AM   #7199
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwey View Post
I am able to control the flow and keep it at the neck.
There is very little micro bubbles coming out of the skimmer into the sump.
The Jebao has been running for months but I am not getting a good dark skimate.

My question was related to the flow rate thru the skimmer and how it effects the capturing/skimming performance.

Air and water need to be balanced. With more flow you get more turbulence like I said which makes it harder to produce a stable head. Also you are loosing bubbles out the drain.. The other issue is you need the air to be about the same. If you are pushing less air the skimmate may not make it up the neck.. You need a pump that is close in gph and air lp/h as the original pump...

Unread 04/24/2018, 08:33 AM   #7200
ddrueckh
Registered Member

I am looking for a skimmer for a new 225 gallon reef (total water volume 275). I do not need the most flashy or latest on the market. I want something proven and reliable. The stand will be 36" tall so something around 24" tall would be best. I could spend up to $800 on it, but a proven $400 skimmer would work for me. Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex