Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2017, 04:19 PM   #1
FinnCole
Registered Member

Angler fish pens cruel or cool ?

What do you guys think of these things I am setting up a frogfish tank bit if these things are ok I might just set up one of these? (Note if I set up one it would be in a much bigger pen)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

FinnCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Fiver
Registered Member

You mean, keeping it in a larger pen inside the tank fulltime? I vote no.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Gweeds
Registered Member

Is this alongside the massive puffer tank, the small puffer tank, the boxfish tank, the dwarf lion / Scorpionfish / frogfish tank, the Stonefish tank, the saltwater pond and the pregnant dog?

Or will it be in the 24g nano?

Sorry...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 05:13 PM   #4
FinnCole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweeds View Post
Is this alongside the massive puffer tank, the small puffer tank, the boxfish tank, the dwarf lion / Scorpionfish / frogfish tank, the Stonefish tank, the saltwater pond and the pregnant dog?

Or will it be in the 24g nano?

Sorry...

Most of these where just ideas and concepts I was throwing around not really serious and Shhh about the dog thing you will get me in trouble

Unread 11/10/2017, 05:18 PM   #5
sde1500
Registered Member

Lol yea can't keep up with the "what if" tanks. Though not sure the question here. Are you actually asking if it's cool to keep a fish long term in an acclimation box?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Gweeds
Registered Member

For the record... no, you can't keep a fish in a 'pen' it is definitely not cool. The glass boxes we force our fish to live in are small enough... let's not get into boxes inside boxes.

There's a perfectly acceptable 'pen' you can keep an anglerfish in... it's called an aquarium.

Unread 11/11/2017, 05:51 AM   #7
FinnCole
Registered Member

Quote:
For the record... no, you can't keep a fish in a 'pen' it is definitely not cool. The glass boxes we force our fish to live in are small enough... let's not get into boxes inside boxes.

There's a perfectly acceptable 'pen' you can keep an anglerfish in... it's called an aquarium.

I kind of disagree with that logic there lets say you have a 200 gallon tank and you put in a refugium/pen thing in the tank that's 20 gallons most people keep frogfish in 20 gallon tanks you add sand and rock what's the problem ? (I am not going to do this this is just an example)

Unread 11/11/2017, 06:27 AM   #8
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnCole View Post
I kind of disagree with that logic there lets say you have a 200 gallon tank and you put in a refugium/pen thing in the tank that's 20 gallons most people keep frogfish in 20 gallon tanks you add sand and rock what's the problem ? (I am not going to do this this is just an example)

A fuge on many tanks could be a tank in and of itself. You weren't asking about putting a frogfish in your 20g fuge. You were asking about putting it in an acclimation box long term. Or if you weren't you need to clarify your question desperately.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:21 AM   #9
mike61289
Registered Member

If you want to get a fish, you need to provide it with a proper environment. It should be similar in appearance to the natural environment they come from in order to reduce stress. You can't do that in am acclimation box. It is just too small.

To answer your question, it would be cruel to permanently house a fish in an acclimation box.

Unread 11/11/2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Sounds like the OP already knew the answer to this question. In the future, impulse buying saltwater fish when you have no means of housing them properly is a really bad practice and you should refrain from doing that again.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:31 AM   #11
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Sounds like the OP already knew the answer to this question. In the future, impulse buying saltwater fish when you have no means of housing them properly is a really bad practice and you should refrain from doing that again.

Hopefully he didn't buy it. Seems 99% of his posts are just a kid playing "what if". No real harm but decent amount of time spent getting answers to something that probably will never happen.

Unread 11/11/2017, 02:26 PM   #12
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Hopefully he didn't buy it. Seems 99% of his posts are just a kid playing "what if". No real harm but decent amount of time spent getting answers to something that probably will never happen.
Yup...

Unread 11/11/2017, 08:21 PM   #13
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
This, like eating mysis. Did you ever actually eat the mysis Finn?

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:55 PM   #14
FinnCole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
This, like eating mysis. Did you ever actually eat the mysis Finn?
Nah found out I was allergic touched it and it made me think my puffer poisoned me thought I was gunna die

Unread 11/11/2017, 10:02 PM   #15
FinnCole
Registered Member

Look guys I have changed it might not look like it but I have I took a break from the hobby for a bit but I came back and realised my old plans where ridiculous and wouldn't work I decided to go down a easier root. and yes I was meaning something like a in tank fuge kind of thing I thought fuge where only for pods though. So here are my new plans 65 gallon reef and 20 gallon frogfish tank. Sorry about my former stupidity I have been looking at this forum for years but only recently made an account and I had so many ideas for tanks

Unread 11/11/2017, 10:59 PM   #16
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
Look guys I have changed it might not look like it but I have I took a break from the hobby for a bit but I came back and realised my old plans where ridiculous and wouldn't work I decided to go down a easier root. and yes I was meaning something like a in tank fuge kind of thing I thought fuge where only for pods though. So here are my new plans 65 gallon reef and 20 gallon frogfish tank. Sorry about my former stupidity I have been looking at this forum for years but only recently made an account and I had so many ideas for tanks

That's great... really hope that's true. There's nothing wrong with getting excited and thinking up plans... we all dream and obviously it's great to do your research. I think you're getting tongue in cheek answers now because of those past posts... you say you've taken a break, but your last thread before this one was on Nov 3rd... that's looks like it was in a similar ilk to your others.

Just be honest with people and honest with yourself and you'll get a lot more respect.

Good luck.

Unread 11/11/2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Gweeds
Registered Member

Oh, and if that's what you meant, then why not say it from the start? 'Is it ethical to keep an anglerfish in a refugium?' is an entirely different question to 'anglerfish pens, cruel or cool?' accompanied by a pic of an angler in a tiny acclimation box...

Unread 11/12/2017, 02:47 AM   #18
FinnCole
Registered Member

Quote:
That's great... really hope that's true. There's nothing wrong with getting excited and thinking up plans... we all dream and obviously it's great to do your research. I think you're getting tongue in cheek answers now because of those past posts... you say you've taken a break, but your last thread before this one was on Nov 3rd... that's looks like it was in a similar ilk to your others.

Just be honest with people and honest with yourself and you'll get a lot more respect.

Good luck.

You mean the dog one ? That was a joke

Unread 11/12/2017, 02:53 AM   #19
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
You mean the dog one ? That was a joke

I think it's fair to say this is off topic now.