Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2017, 11:12 PM   #2476
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Looking great Matt and nice to hear that your chaeto is growing that fast.

That was the last time I cleaned my reactor

Like the way you placed the corals but will that not make problems in the future when they touch each other again?
But you are right just like nature!!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 12:09 AM   #2477
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Looking great Matt and nice to hear that your chaeto is growing that fast.

That was the last time I cleaned my reactor

Like the way you placed the corals but will that not make problems in the future when they touch each other again?
But you are right just like nature!!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/28/2017, 04:16 AM   #2478
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Flo, thanks!
That is very cool how the cheato grows in the shape of the reactor.. makes sense.
Too bad your reactor isn't the shape of a mermaid or a bunny rabbit. Would make for more interesting cheato 'balls'
Yes, the corals will get close quickly but that is when the best photo opportunities happen. You get that, right?
Then, I'll frag and trim. So, I'll have good photos and frags.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:03 AM   #2479
FloformAustria
Registered Member

So that's what kind of guy you are... all for the perfect picture...

Very good my fiend :cheers:

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/28/2017, 05:16 AM   #2480
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ever see the movie Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal? That's me, baby!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:30 AM   #2481
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Nice photo dump Matt! Keep doing what your doing, looks good.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:40 AM   #2482
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

The latest photos are simply breathtaking Matt. I wish I had access to the corals you keep.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 06:20 AM   #2483
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Wow those corals look amazing!

Can't wait for my tank!!

Thanks for sharing mate!!

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/28/2017, 06:33 AM   #2484
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Nice photo dump Matt! Keep doing what your doing, looks good.
Thanks Scott! I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and I have a new person looking after things... I hope they keep doing what I've been doing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
The latest photos are simply breathtaking Matt. I wish I had access to the corals you keep.
Thanks Bulent, I am not in the American market where all the seriously good stuff is but I am lucky enough to have Raging reef, locally who gets amazing stuff all the time, reefsolution, close by who also gets some good stuff and Fragbox in Toronto who is close to the reef raft sources and often has cool stuff to send me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
Wow those corals look amazing!

Can't wait for my tank!!

Thanks for sharing mate!!
Looking forward to your tank, Flo!
Thanks!

Unread 07/28/2017, 08:17 AM   #2485
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

That trio is to die for.. the tank is really looking great Matt hope tank sitter takes good care of it while on vacation.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 10:47 AM   #2486
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

"Thanks Scott! I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and I have a new person looking after things... I hope they keep doing what I've been doing.."
My nightmare right there, I've been lucky so far but I hear far too many horror stories. Wishing you nothing but good news upon your return home. By the way congrats on page 100!!

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 11:23 AM   #2487
cFloor
Registered Member

Have a good vacation Matt! As always, your corals are looking happy, healthy, and vibrant. It's a pleasure following your reef.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 12:33 PM   #2488
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernam Invalid View Post
That trio is to die for.. the tank is really looking great Matt hope tank sitter takes good care of it while on vacation.
Thanks, Jason. I hope so too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
"Thanks Scott! I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and I have a new person looking after things... I hope they keep doing what I've been doing.."
My nightmare right there, I've been lucky so far but I hear far too many horror stories. Wishing you nothing but good news upon your return home. By the way congrats on page 100!!
He's a smart kid and conscientious... and I will leave detailed instructions as well as go through all the motions once with him.. I'm confident..... and really I got no choice! Is what it is.. every time I go away, I get stressed first and then I get prepared for whatever may come and try not to fixate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Have a good vacation Matt! As always, your corals are looking happy, healthy, and vibrant. It's a pleasure following your reef.
Thanks Conner. Thanks for the luv!

Here's a coral I don't thInk I've ever photographed.. another tenuis which sat dormant for around a year and a half..
Reef Raft Pretty in Pink.. whatever.. a tenuis.. recently is has gone nuts.. when I bought it, it had really nice red polyps and bluish body.. if you look close, a couple bits of red are coming back.. hopefully it'll pick up for me.. we shall see..

Unread 07/29/2017, 08:21 AM   #2489
westreef
Lost as usual

Hi Matt, going for vacation is a stressful experience worrying about your tank at home. I went for 2 separate vacations of about 2 weeks each time in the first part of this year. No loss at all. In fact, without excessive fooling around with the tank, the corals were even happier. Isn't that funny?
So relax and enjoy your vacation!

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 11:41 AM   #2490
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Hi Matt, going for vacation is a stressful experience worrying about your tank at home. I went for 2 separate vacations of about 2 weeks each time in the first part of this year. No loss at all. In fact, without excessive fooling around with the tank, the corals were even happier. Isn't that funny?
So relax and enjoy your vacation!
Hey Bernie, thanks! I'm also a bit worried about kh. I've been trying to raise it up above below 6 where it's been sitting. I've been raising co2 rate daily and it isn't helping.. I gave it another tweak as I left today.... now, it's outta my hands!
Here's my set up for the tank babysitter..
Hopefully everything will be fine... of course it'll be fine!!

Unread 07/29/2017, 03:59 PM   #2491
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Have a nice break Matt.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 07/30/2017 at 01:26 PM.
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 05:22 PM   #2492
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

One of these day's I'm turning you into a smuggler and you're going to send Andrew and I one of everything just glorious Matt a real inspiration!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 07:38 PM   #2493
Pife
Registered Member

Man I wish I had your coral connections! I love what you did with the coral mountingof contrasting colors. I have some plans to do much the same on top of some tables.

I do much the same when I go out of town. It takes me back to boy scouts and there motto. Be prepared! Have fun on your vacation. Are you going anywhere exciting?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 08:39 PM   #2494
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Have nice break Matt.
Thanks, Bulent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
One of these day's I'm turning you into a smuggler and you're going to send Andrew and I one of everything just glorious Matt a real inspiration!
Thank you, Dom. Here's a deal, you smuggle one of everything you and Andrew have and I'll smuggle one of everything I have. What a glorious trade that would be! I think I would end up better off however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Man I wish I had your coral connections! I love what you did with the coral mountingof contrasting colors. I have some plans to do much the same on top of some tables.

I do much the same when I go out of town. It takes me back to boy scouts and there motto. Be prepared! Have fun on your vacation. Are you going anywhere exciting?

Thanks! I thought everybody in the states had coral connections better than me. There is so much to choose from on line.
Yeah I couldn't resist mounting such a deep contrasting colour there. Originally, I wanted to put an Oregon tort there but they can get very dense. The blueberry wine is more delicate in its growth. In 6 months it'll be pretty spectacular.
Be prepared, indeed! It's the potential unknown stuff that always irritated me..
Anyways my second motto is, 'come what may'.
We con only be so prepared.

We are down in Ogunquit, Maine. Our annual trip here with the Toronto cousins. The 9 of us rent a house and the 5 cousins (all girls!) hang out, go to the beach, the pool, have fun, scratch each others' eyes out on occasion and spend time with their grand parents who are also here for the week... but NOT living with us.. phew..
I'm sure I will have posted some non reef scenery pics before the week is out!

Talk about being prepared... this morning as we were rushing around getting ready to leave, I was showing the kid what to do with my tank and when we were done, I thanked him and he left, planning to come on Monday to start his daily visits. We got in the car and left, too.
Well, a half hour later, as I'm going through all of the things for the tank in my head, I realize I FORGOT TO GIVE THE GUY A HOUSE KEY!!!!!
We are on the road, the kid is on the road and he has no way of getting into my house!! There may have been some bad words I taught my daughters, in the car, this morning. Even the dog was a little shocked..
After some frantic texting and phone calls, I reached my neighbor, before he left on vacation as well, and got him to leave the spare key they have to our house in a hiding spot for the tank sitter to pick up on Monday...
Big sigh.. ok! On vacation...
Had lobstah at the Oarweed tonight!
Come what may..

Unread 07/29/2017, 09:24 PM   #2495
Pife
Registered Member

That's why I installed an electronic combination deadbolt! I was on a plane to Europe and my tank sitter was calling me telling me he couldn't get in! I'm glad you got it worked out. Maine is one of the places in a short list my wife and I will be considering moving to. Next year give me a little notice and I could probably ship you some stuff up there to Maine. A little care package from the USA.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 06:10 AM   #2496
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
We are down in Ogunquit, Maine. Our annual trip here with the Toronto cousins.
There's a well known yank historian who has documented many, many terrible events that have taken place in Maine. Like if you wanted to write horror stories you would just have to move to Maine and write down what happens there Matt.
Google Stephen King and read the history of the bloody place......... and then get everyone in the cars and get out of there buddy - if every single car won't start do not think ' oh, that's odd '........ get in the house and board up the doors and windows and wait out the night before making your way out on foot during daylight only.

If anything demonic tries to break in........ and this is going to sound harsh at first but trust me when the time comes and you look at your kids huddled in terror with your wife you won't hesitate - push one of your cousins out the door and then board it up again. You only need to get through until the sun comes up and you have five cousins so make them last.

I would like to point out that when the scriptwriter handed in the first draft for Friday the 13th the first line was remarkably similar to this

Quote:
The 9 of us rent a house and the 5 cousins (all girls!) hang out, go to the beach, the pool, have fun.........
THAT is what i call being prepared Matt - you're welcome mate

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday once the sun comes up and you can get the hell out of there mate

Unread 07/30/2017, 07:44 AM   #2497
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
That's why I installed an electronic combination deadbolt! I was on a plane to Europe and my tank sitter was calling me telling me he couldn't get in! I'm glad you got it worked out. Maine is one of the places in a short list my wife and I will be considering moving to. Next year give me a little notice and I could probably ship you some stuff up there to Maine. A little care package from the USA.

There are two distinct Maine experiences.. in land and coastal. Coastal Maine is either very quaint and stunningly beautiful or loaded with tourists and still very beautiful and in land Maine seems pretty much like classic rural northeastern USA. If I were moving here and kids weren't an issue, I'd want to be somewhat close to the coast..
Thanks for the care package offer! I just don't think my wife would appreciate my risking the whole family getting arrested as smugglers of endangered species at the border.. granted the risk is very low but any risk would be too much.
I WISH I could bring corals over the border!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
There's a well known yank historian who has documented many, many terrible events that have taken place in Maine. Like if you wanted to write horror stories you would just have to move to Maine and write down what happens there Matt.
Google Stephen King and read the history of the bloody place......... and then get everyone in the cars and get out of there buddy - if every single car won't start do not think ' oh, that's odd '........ get in the house and board up the doors and windows and wait out the night before making your way out on foot during daylight only.

If anything demonic tries to break in........ and this is going to sound harsh at first but trust me when the time comes and you look at your kids huddled in terror with your wife you won't hesitate - push one of your cousins out the door and then board it up again. You only need to get through until the sun comes up and you have five cousins so make them last.

I would like to point out that when the scriptwriter handed in the first draft for Friday the 13th the first line was remarkably similar to this

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday once the sun comes up and you can get the hell out of there mate
Andrew, I do not appreciate you spreading this kind of information. We have been coming here for many years and have been very successful at 'acquiring' young 'product' from behind locked doors and windows.
You keep this up and we will be coming for you, my friend.......

Looking back... I think I will give you a pass, this time, Andrew.. although bringing to light the somewhat.. um.. gothic nature of Maine was not appreciated, your advice on how to cope with a haunting was excellent.

Last edited by reefmutt; 07/30/2017 at 08:26 AM.
Unread 07/30/2017, 12:05 PM   #2498
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post

Wise words- lots of horrifying stuff happens in Maine - I've read the accounts myself!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 07:02 AM   #2499
westreef
Lost as usual

I have visited Acadia National Park twice when my kids were teenagers long time ago. I wish I could live around there -- so beautiful!

Enjoy your vacation.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 10:34 PM   #2500
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I must say I have been wanting to read your entire thread for a while now but the 100 pages always seemed daunting to me. Well over the past couple weeks I have read every page and you have been through quit a journey. I am glad things are turning around for you and maybe you will once again be happy with the tank like you use to be.

I haven't seen you mention an issue with cyano in about 20 pages, lol. Are you still dealing with it?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote