Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2018, 10:29 PM   #151
uclamatthew
Registered Member

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see water in there.

Unread 06/06/2018, 04:38 PM   #152
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
At least it didn't drop while you were over the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's the silver lining!!! it took a chip out of the acrylic sump... not enough to even matter though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
My compliments on the rock work and your self control after the rock work fell apart. You’re a better man than I am.
Thanks, I'm starting to imagine them full of coral.... eventually... one day... it'll get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
very nice set-up...
Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclamatthew View Post
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see water in there.
Water is flowing, adding salt as quickly as I can to bring it to 1.026.

I was able to calibrate and set up the Vectra L1 return pump. One thing that I'm a bit disappointed in, is that the Vectra isn't compatible with the WXM, it really irks me to think that the conflict of business gets in the way of individual versatility and choice to select particular equipment. With that said if anyone has a clever way to use this pump with apex and utilize the feed mode, I would be grateful.

I haven't done any hard looking yet but an option may be to have the Vectra plugged into the EB8 and when feed mode is initiated it will cut power to the Vectra having it go to battery backup, and while in battery backup have it run at the predetermined minimum speed, to prevent water from being siphoned back into the sump.

Does anyone know if that's possible???

Among the pumps, I'm slowly getting my feet wet with Apex programming again, and bringing all the MP's online... one thing that I want to point out is that the sheer silence of these Quiet Drives is amazing. I had an old MP60 running on one side of the tank and a new MP40QD on the other side. Standing next to the 40, I couldn't hear it but I could easily hear the 60 that was 8' away. couple the Bean Animal silent failsafe return setup and the QD's the loudest thing so far is the hum of the skimmer. And to think that Mcpuff was ahhh... right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I think you may be too worried about sound deadening... if you have a full siphon overflow then the noise is so minimal, especially since your sump is in the basement. That's where all the noise will be. My tank is not in a wall but with the full siphon overflow I can hardly hear anything when I'm right next to the tank.
You were right! I was umm.... less right....

If you remember, when I picked up my acrylic, I asked the guy for scrap pieces and I was able to walk away with a hodge podge of assorted sizes and thicknesses. in which I was able to make a tray for the siporax.

With the laser I was able to cut holes to align with the siporax,

Knowing that the siporax isn't machined to precision I was able to take averages and hopefully keep the pieces aligned with the holes...But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, there's enough holes for flow and ample opportunity for surface exposure for bacteria

Cut these out with the laser

Glued them together

And this is where most of you will say, "that's too much work!" but I stacked them 2 high

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 04:41 PM   #153
Sisterlimonpot

To create the ability to add more or take away, I had to make it easy to gain access to the siporax. so I'm using these 1.5" sex bolts to hold it altogether

I only purchased 2000ml to see where that puts me when the tank is booming with bio diversity. The tray has some room for growth and can probably hold 3000 ml. If I need more, I can make another and stack themas deep as I need.

That's my contribution this time... While the tank starts its cycle, my next big project is a light rack, I have some aluminum rails that i've been holding onto for a while for this reason, however I need someone that can TIG weld, and I can't find anyone locally.... I may have to turn to the laser again for brackets.... More to come.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/06/2018, 05:17 PM   #154
fishguy597
Registered Member

Jim you have put together a first class system. You definitely got your money's worth out of that laser cutter. The sump looks fantastic.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 06:43 PM   #155
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
Jim you have put together a first class system. You definitely got your money's worth out of that laser cutter. The sump looks fantastic.
Thank you so much!!! I like the laser too... Here's an impulsive creation that only took 20 minutes from from conception to completion, I already had the exact foot print of my skimmer mapped out when I was designing the sump which made it easy to cut a platform for it... no measuring at all

Raised the skimmer up to the proper level... bad news is that it made collection cup servicing a little harder... but there's still plenty of room.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/07/2018, 06:25 AM   #156
McPuff
Registered Member

Man, that is so cool. You've made some very nice things with that laser! Gotta love the way a freshly made acrylic project looks!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 07:09 AM   #157
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

Wow nice work Jimmy!

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 09:38 AM   #158
dwolson2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Thank you so much!!! I like the laser too... Here's an impulsive creation that only took 20 minutes from from conception to completion, I already had the exact foot print of my skimmer mapped out when I was designing the sump which made it easy to cut a platform for it... no measuring at all

Raised the skimmer up to the proper level... bad news is that it made collection cup servicing a little harder... but there's still plenty of room.

Jimmy, are you still using corel draw? I might have to convince you to make/sell me one of those skimmer stands!

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 10:40 AM   #159
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Man, that is so cool. You've made some very nice things with that laser! Gotta love the way a freshly made acrylic project looks!
Thanks, there's a point that you start going overboard, and I'm teetering on it... It's a great tool to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawCJack00 View Post
Wow nice work Jimmy!
Thanks Bill, a lot of the inspiration of my tank stems from yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Jimmy, are you still using corel draw? I might have to convince you to make/sell me one of those skimmer stands!
Yes, CorelDRAW is the only program that is compatible with that laser. I use corel draw X7, it seems more user friendly than 4. Although I'm only scratching the surface with what I do on it. there's not much to 2D hairline drawings.

Give me some dimensions and I'll see if I have enough scrap still.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/08/2018, 08:28 AM   #160
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Wink

I see you've been busy while I was away winning another Baja race. 4
Things are looking good. Glad you got the holes drilled with no issues.
I like the islands and how you constructed them. I had always wanted to build mine like that but never did. How far to the top of the water is the "bonsai" ?

Once I get word on the race, I'll text you info.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 07:53 PM   #161
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
I see you've been busy while I was away winning another Baja race. 4
Things are looking good. Glad you got the holes drilled with no issues.
I like the islands and how you constructed them. I had always wanted to build mine like that but never did. How far to the top of the water is the "bonsai" ?

Once I get word on the race, I'll text you info.
Yep, it's turning out to be my white whale. The bonsai slopes towards the front of the tank, at the tip it's roughly 4" off the surfaces, the lower portion is about 8 inches.

I've been evaping roughly 3 gallons a day, and I don't want to continue adding water so the ATO system has turned into the top priority. I've bee making progress on the lights and I will share it with you guys once it's complete. In the meantime, I had to build a stand for the barrels so that I could drill the bottom of them and place some bulkheads, There's not much to the stand cut out 8 pieces at 22.5 degree angles then nailed and glued them onto a 1/2" piece of plywood

Trimmed the edges

Routed around the middle to make room for the plumbing

Painted them, set them in place and started plumbing

I'm using one of my jebao pumps to transfer and recirculate water, this will be the first time using one of these pumps outside of the water, let's hope for no leaks.

I'm stopping here for the day, going to let the glue dry and test it out tomorrow.

Knowing how much I'm evaping will help me deterine the size of the ATO container that I'm going to build. I want it to hold at least 3 days of water and no more than 5.. this will help if there's a problem and the ATO get's stuck on, it won't dump 55 gallons of fresh into the tank. Which means, I will probably go with a 12 gallon container.

Some good news to report, I walked into the equipment room this afternoon and the exhaust fan was running based on the humidity level. I have the sensor adjusted to come on at 20%, which is the lowest I can go with it... 20% still feels a bit muggy, I need to get a humidity meter for the room to see what it actually is. I also need to set up the AC to maintain a constant temp in there which will help with humidity, yet another thing that needs attention.. hehe.

Thanks for following along, more to come soon.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/16/2018, 05:20 PM   #162
Sisterlimonpot

Finally finished the ATO system today, over the last week I've slowed down with other priorities popping up, but I managed to make my own magnet holder for the high low float switches. Here’s a photo dump of what I’ve accomplished.

Cut layers out on the laser and then had to machine some surfaces for the thickness of the magnets.

These are to redirect the magnetic field so that it doesn't interfere with the reed switch in the float switches

Used some neodymium magnets to couple to 2 halves together. (when did these things get soo expensive??

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/16/2018, 05:21 PM   #163
Sisterlimonpot

Layered them all together and sealed them from salt water

Here'sthe 2 magnetic halves holding together in between 3/8" acrylic

Then I cut out a piece for the float switches and float valve

Float switches attached... those magnets could hold a lot more weight if needed

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/16/2018, 05:23 PM   #164
Sisterlimonpot

Then I made the ATO container

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/16/2018, 05:23 PM   #165
Sisterlimonpot

So far so good...

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/18/2018, 11:25 AM   #166
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

Nice work Jimmy!

Don't forget your towel!

Unread 06/18/2018, 12:28 PM   #167
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Having been out of the hobby for a while, I was not sure of what the siporax was, so I looked it up.

So it's just a medium to grow bacteria. Is there a special reason you are using it? Not going to overload the tank with LR? Something I don't know about?

Please educate this old man.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 06/18/2018, 08:10 PM   #168
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Having been out of the hobby for a while, I was not sure of what the siporax was, so I looked it up.

So it's just a medium to grow bacteria. Is there a special reason you are using it? Not going to overload the tank with LR? Something I don't know about?

Please educate this old man.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, the surface area in these little sintered glass cylinders is vast, it can host more bacteria than any porous rock out there. The 580 grams (1.28lbs) of siporax that I have in my sump will replace the need of over 100 lbs of live rock. This means that I'm no longer forced to stuff 300lbs of rock in my tank to achieve the necessary nitrification process. That free's up more space for fish to swim and allows for a minimalistic aquascape.

Another great benefit is that due to the way these are formed into cylinders they are easy to shake off and remove any detritus that may accumulate on their surface, which is why you will hear clams that they also aid in denitrification as well as lower phosphate levels.

I've only recently learned about these guys and liked what I read to the point that I had to incorporate them into this system. I do know that they can do too good of a job and strip away all of the tanks nitrates and phosphates starving out other nutrient exports like macro algae and such. That's why I'm being conservative with what I start off with and possibly add more in the future, although my hope is to strike a natural balance between chaeto and siporax to maintain a healthy nitrate level in the range of 3-5 ppm. It may take a little work at the beginning to get there but I hope as the tank matures it occurs naturally.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/19/2018, 07:54 AM   #169
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Got it. So just another take on the old wet dry filter system of years ago. just you keep the media wet/sumberged all the time.

I just used to put a lot of extra rock in my sump. had all kinds of life growing in there.

But as you aid, this will be easier to clean out when needed.

Best quote ever!

Unread 06/19/2018, 02:36 PM   #170
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Got it. So just another take on the old wet dry filter system of years ago. just you keep the media wet/sumberged all the time.

I just used to put a lot of extra rock in my sump. had all kinds of life growing in there.

But as you aid, this will be easier to clean out when needed.
The biggest difference between the wet dry and rock rubble is the ease of detritus removal.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/19/2018, 02:39 PM   #171
Sisterlimonpot

I'm still working on finishing up the ATO system and the light rack, but in the mean time I had to deal with some cord management of the Ecotech pumps...

Simply unacceptable!!!

Got this today and went to work installing it

2 screws and channel the wires and DONE!

More to come!!!

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/20/2018, 06:55 PM   #172
Sisterlimonpot

Little things are starting to come together, buttoning up cords and hoses. I was also able to get the macro algae light on line...

Tucked up underneath the stand

I can't quite put my finger on it, something about it reminds me of Amsterdam

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/21/2018, 07:24 AM   #173
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

So you admit to being in THAT section of town?

Best quote ever!

Unread 06/21/2018, 09:08 AM   #174
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
So you admit to being in THAT section of town?
...when in Rome. If hey didn't want me to go there, why would they station me so close? You have to experience what the world has to offer.

Wait, how do you know it's just a "section of town"?

Dishes are done man!

Unread 06/22/2018, 07:08 AM   #175
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

I got some new Chaeto Jimmy. Hopefully it will do better this time, and I'll have some for you in a week or two.

Don't forget your towel!