Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Treating Nitrates Question

So I get it, water changes are the easiest known way to change it... if you have a small tank that only takes a gallon or two to keep up with lol.

I'm looking for a non water change method.

Current Approach: I'm currently using a large portion of my sump to hold a brick of bio pure (think thats the name, ceramic brick) and allow chaeto to grow. The chaeto hasn't been growing but I think it was a lighting issue and it seems to be growing now.

Alternate Approach: Should I build a reactor? I saw a DIY one where they used a jar, seachem denitrate and a pump to put 30 gph through it. Can someone explain the principle behind this. Should I just fill the bottom portion of this sump with seachem denitrate? Is this similar to how a sulfur reactor works or should I just buy one of those and drop it in here?

Any answers, thoughts, or suggestions are appreciated. BTW, I have a 150 gallon tank with a 55 gallon tank for the sump. I really don't want to rely on water changes.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 11:39 AM   #2
lapin
Registered Member

An algae turf scrubber ATS will grow algae. It will consume your nitrates and phosphates.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Icewing726
Registered Member

Is that more capable then just growing chaeto? Im missing a key step somewhere in nitrate removal. I mean how do i culture anaerobic bacteria with oxygen being in the water?

Right now my sump goes through 2 qts of marine pure balls into a skimmer/uv section, into this large section and into a return section. I assume that the skimmer is putting a lot of oxygen back into the water. Do i need to treat it before that?

Unread 08/10/2018, 12:00 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Look into carbon dosing..
Vinegar/vodka,etc...
Far more effective/faster acting,etc... than chaeto/macro algaes from my experience and drop dead simple to do..

The denitrifying bacteria takes longer to get established vs the nitrifying bacteria..
Its commonly part of why many say a tank needs time to "mature"..
Carbon dosing works great when that denitrifying bacterial population hasn't had enough time to get started or just doesn't seem to be plentiful enough to do it on its own after time..

The anaerobic areas develop deep in the rocks,etc...

remember though that water changes are done for more reasons than just nitrate removal alone..

Unread 08/10/2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I built a reactor with the denitrate a few years back. It didn’t work for me. The principal behind it is that keeping the gph under 30 the oxygen gets used well before the water gets through the reactor causing an anoxic zone wher anaerobic bacteria consume the nitrates.

I currently use a biopellet reactor and it keeps my nitrates in check. Your other option to try would be carbon dosing(vodka or vinegar). You need a good skimmer for either carbon dosing or biopellets to work or you can get major bacteria blooms.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Icewing726
Registered Member

Thanks Mcgyvr. I understand the importance behind putting nutrients in, but id honestly rather do small ones. Now I've heard the dosing is a daily thing that could be detrimental if missed. Any truth to that/is there an article you trust on this?

Unread 08/10/2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
I built a reactor with the denitrate a few years back. It didn’t work for me. The principal behind it is that keeping the gph under 30 the oxygen gets used well before the water gets through the reactor causing an anoxic zone wher anaerobic bacteria consume the nitrates.

I currently use a biopellet reactor and it keeps my nitrates in check. Your other option to try would be carbon dosing(vodka or vinegar). You need a good skimmer for either carbon dosing or biopellets to work or you can get major bacteria blooms.
I'll read up on it, thanks for the update though on the reasoning behind the DIY model.