Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Grimreaperz
Registered Member

Plumbing 65g RR. Show Me Yours!

So finally tracked down the bulkheads I needed for my 65g Tall RR tank.

36x18x24

Drain holes
1x 1 3/4
1x 1 1/4

Never done an actual RR let alone hard plumbing before and want it to be as functional and easy to maintenance as possible.

Just looking for inspiration and ideas on how to get this done. I want to utilize both of the drilled holes for Drains (Bean Animal) and hang the Return over the back.

Unions, balls, checks, gates.

All encouraged!

TIA

Grimreaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Scott07
Registered Member

I have a 65 RR with the same dimensions as yours. I just plumbed it with flexible pond hose and the barbed bulkheads that came with the tank. In my opinion you are doing the right thing using both holes as drains with a over the back return. I'm using a mag7 as a return pump, and have to dial it back about half way or else i get excessive air and gurgling down the durso drain. I'd make sure to do a union, a check valve, and a gate or ball valve coming off the return.... but it sounds like you're already planning on that. Also, for what it's worth, the trigger systems saphire 29 is what I'm using, and makes a fantastic sump for this tank.

About the only thing I would do differently if I was setting up again would be to plumb the sump through the wall and into the closet directly behind my tank. It seemed like a big undertaking at the time.... but having all that extra space in the closet to work in the sump, add media reactors, etc.... sure would have been nice.

Unread 08/14/2018, 01:53 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

The two drain system is a "Herbie."

Use the larger drain as an open drain. This will function as an emergency drain. The top of the pipe will be set close to the top of the overflow. The bottom of the pipe will terminate just below the water line in your sump. Never put any valve or check valve on the emergency drain.

Use the smaller drain as a syphon. This will handle most (all) of the water. The top of the pipe will be set about 6" below the top of the overflow. The bottom of the pipe will terminate just below (no more than about 1") the water line in your sump. This pipe will require a GATE valve to adjust the syphon flow. Don't use any kind of check valve here either.

Unions are kind of up to you. I don't use any, except for the return pump. NEVER rely on check valves.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote