Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2018, 02:53 PM   #1
kbaker721
Registered Member

Led lights

Hello. Any recommendations for an led light? FOWLR. 30 high 48 length. 150 gallon.
I have metal halide and it’s just too much light and heat for what I need. Hoping for a nice led system that will give nice light. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbaker721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 03:12 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would recommend two of the "black box" type LED lights, like Marsaqua or similar.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 03:23 PM   #3
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
I would recommend two of the "black box" type LED lights, like Marsaqua or similar.
These are ok and will certainly work. There are a number of drawbacks to them however. I was recently using one and it was ok, but I don't think I will use them again. For me the lack of control was a problem. I could only control the blues (up or down) and everything else (whites, reds, greens, and some blues) I did not like that I had to increase the intensity of the red and green if I turned up the whites. These also create a good amount of "disco ball effect.

Depending on your budget, I would look into the AI HD series, Ecotech Radions, Maxspec, etc. They all have great lights, but the prices will definitely be higher. If you do get the "black box" type, llok at the Viparspectra. I think they have the best mix of spectrums of the cheaper lights.

Unread 08/13/2018, 03:36 PM   #4
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Sorry, I skipped the FOWLR part. Literally ANY light that is pleasing to your eye will work for a FOWLR. Look for cheap LED's on amazon.

Unread 08/14/2018, 04:34 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Sorry, I skipped the FOWLR part. Literally ANY light that is pleasing to your eye will work for a FOWLR. Look for cheap LED's on amazon.
Thats better..

Yes just pick up a sub $50 LED strip on Amazon and call it a day..
Fish don't need light at all.. Just enough for you to enjoy the tank..

MH/high dollar LED is just overkill...

Now if you plan on upgrading to corals,etc... in the future then thats a different story..

Unread 08/14/2018, 01:36 PM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Now if you plan on upgrading to corals,etc... in the future then thats a different story..
That's why I would steer folks toward black box LEDs. Still cheap, but can be turned up and adjusted for any future projects.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Some of the black box LEDs have timer controls. Mine don't, but I bought a wifi power strip that lets me turn on/off on set times. Less than 30 bucks on Amazon.

Most of the black boxes at least have intensity controls for blue and white, even if you can't individually select colors. For a 48" tank you'd probably just need 2.

I went ahead and got them, as I figured I'd want to add a few corals down the road.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote