Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2017, 08:27 PM   #1
RonMidtownStomp
You can edit this?

Feeding Fish in 2017

I had never fed live food until recently. I have lyretail anthias that I would like to keep alive, and my girlfriend and I really like copper banded butterflies. I haven't had good luck with them in this tank, so far, but the one that I just got had been in someone's aquarium for 5 months and seems to be eating live black worms, only.

Every fish in the tank seems to go crazy for them, and I've heard that they are one of the most nutritious foods I can feed, but I can't find any hard data. I also feed Reef Frenzy and frozen Mysis. I also feed nori. I also bought some krill thinking that the trigger might like them, but he's more excited about the mysis and the worms.

I guess the other thing I'm wondering about is frequency of feeding. I've been feeding way more often than I used to feed. I have the autofeeder dropping pellets twice a day, and I'm feeding worms 2-3 times a day, plus at least one big mysis or reef frenzy feeding. Plus the nori once or twice a day. The fish seem to be eating everything I'm feeding, and pretty quickly. As long as they keep eating it, I think I'm doing the right thing feeding it. My theory is that fatter and happier means less aggression and more chance of the anthias and CBB being able to get enough food.

Anybody have thoughts or experience on fish food? We have 4 tangs, a trigger fish, a pair of big old clowns, a spotted rabbitfish, the 5 lyretail anthias, the copperband, three PJ cardinals, and a starry blenny. The tank could support more fish, but I'm pretty happy with it like it is. And I'm a bit afraid that the rabbitfish is going to be 12" long by April. He seems to get bigger every day. I did have a big lionfish in my last tank for a few months right before I got out of the hobby and really loved it. I'm considering a lion again, but slightly weary with the cube tank that I would have a harder time keeping an eye on him when I was needing to do something in the tank.

Last edited by RonMidtownStomp; 03/13/2017 at 08:34 PM.
RonMidtownStomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:32 AM   #2
euod
Registered Member

I feed black worms almost everyday in addition to frozen and dry food. Variety of food is good and you can't go wrong

euod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:58 AM   #3
The Kahnasaur
Registered Member

Black worms are very nutritious. LPS corals love them too. Feed them as long as they'll keep eating them. Keep putting that nori in too though as only the Trigger is a true carnivore.

The Kahnasaur is offline   Reply With Quote