Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Agathamk
Registered Member

Unhappy Vodka Dosing, or Cleaning out the detritus from my Tank?!

For the last few months my bf and I have been fighting a massive outbreak of green hair algae within my tank. Through the battle I've lost most of my prized fish, including a beautiful yellow tang that was one of our first and most impressive fishes (my favourtie because she used to follow us around when we'd be walking by the tank with that super goofy look every fish has).

My boyfriend and I have done everything we could think of to fight the green haired algae: we use an RO kit, bought a GFO reactor, created a 4 inch deep sand bed, reduced the amount of food added (flakes only), and constantly pick at our green hair algae.

One weekend we even dumped out all our lives rock into clean RO water, and scrubbed each one clean (almost 200 lbs of it). Two weeks later, again, we were under attack.

It's been 5 months since the orginal outbreak, and we're nowhere closer then before. With that, I'm asking advice on the only two steps remaing that we can think of doing: Vodka dosing, and/or clearing out the detritus from our live rocks. Given that we have a 125 gallon (1.5 year old) tank, we're strongly leaning towards the vodka dosage.

But can vodka cause any negative affects on my fish? My reading show that its help revive the color in corals, which is fantastic, but with only three little (but extemely hardy) fish left, I care the most about their own well being. After all, the last thing my poor fishies need, is to swim around "drunk" (yes I know, they wouldn't actually have those affects, but still!).

Any advice on Vodka dosing, in comparison to cleaning out the detritus, would be very much appreciated as this constant battle is seriosuly draining us out.

Agathamk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green hair algae, removing detritus, vodka dosing