Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2017, 09:24 PM   #1
SeaMonkee
Registered Member

Calcium Reactor Advice?

Picked up a Schuran Pico Jetstream and am curious on which pH controller to purchase, electronic solenoid and c02 system?

Milwaukee MA957 was suggested by older threads, and a Milwaukee pH controller (are there various models or just the grey dial setup I normally saw in the past?)

The Schuran has no port or fitting for a pH probe... And I'm reading a few threads where the operator does not use a controller, simply limits the input via slow co2 regulation.

I've never run a Ca Reactor, it sounds appealing for future growth with my intentions for an sps dominate tank. Any help is appreciated, most threads I've found with this particular reactor are limited and dated.

Current Tank Info: New Start
SeaMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:38 AM   #2
bfliflet
Registered Member

A few old school reefers don't use pH probes/controllers with their Calc reactors. If you don't have one, you can always test the effluent pH with a test kit. A controller provides an extra level of protection by ensuring the pH doesn't get too low and turn the media to mush.

Most people in this area seem to prefer the CarbonDoser regulator as the precision is awesome. Almost as much as its price tag. You'll see used ones also from time to time also. However, it might be a bit pricey for a smaller tank.

Unread 03/14/2017, 04:49 AM   #3
SeaMonkee
Registered Member

I'll have to check the Carbondoser reg out, and thank you for the detailed reply. I'd always thought the controller was to keep from adding too much effluent. Is a kalkwasser reactor a more appropriate route? Or switch to a doser system maybe? Which is a more stable approach?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfliflet View Post
A few old school reefers don't use pH probes/controllers with their Calc reactors. If you don't have one, you can always test the effluent pH with a test kit. A controller provides an extra level of protection by ensuring the pH doesn't get too low and turn the media to mush.

Most people in this area seem to prefer the CarbonDoser regulator as the precision is awesome. Almost as much as its price tag. You'll see used ones also from time to time also. However, it might be a bit pricey for a smaller tank.

Unread 03/14/2017, 09:26 AM   #4
bfliflet
Registered Member

I dont hear as much about kalkwasser these days. Might not be in fashion, I guess. I think a lot of people start out with 2 part on smaller tanks. I started with that on my 300 and ran it for 3 years. Only reason I am switching to calc reactor is the cost of the chemicals was too high for my size tank, now a 360. When I talked to others, some also indicated their tank exploded in growth when they added calc reactors. Seems like a lot of people switch from 2part to calc reactor as used two part dosers are frequently seen on RC. Most used co2 equipment is seen during tank teardowns. Could be wrong though...

You can also use a pH controller + solenoid to protect too much of a pH drop but most newer calc reactors have integrated probe holders to better monitor pH inside the reactor.

Unread 03/14/2017, 12:43 PM   #5
RonMidtownStomp
You can edit this?

pH monitoring allows you to set the amount of Co2 you are putting into the reactor to dissolve the media. You could use an Apex to then shut down the regulator and/or reactor if it got out of control. Mostly the probe is to determine if the system is still working correctly as the pH in a working reactor should be pretty stable.

I am still just putting a little kalk in my top off and my parameters are pretty stable, but the SPS are still relatively small, and I am doing big water changes weekly.

Unread 03/14/2017, 01:47 PM   #6
SeaMonkee
Registered Member

Judging by the last two posts I'd guess I'm not there yet. I've only about 4 dozen coral frags and about 7 larger colonies (few zoas, but mainly Lps and sps). Kalk may be a better.option for me in the long run, cheaper too. Thanks for the replies, great information to have.