Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2020, 01:27 PM   #1
dsedean
Registered Member

The Atlantis Room

So I've been out of the game for 4 years. This was due to a life threatening situation happening that stopped me from being able to look after my tank, this In turn made me give up the hobby due to the fact of getting me better and thinking of the fish and corals health to be kept tip top. Now that I am better and I can use my left hand again and have built up some strength I am feeling ready and excited to start again!

The Room will consist in my Garage, this will be turned into a proper room once the main tank is in.
The room will have wall heating to help make cheaper cost on heating the tanks.
Once the room has the walls heated and electric sockets sorted around in locations.
My aim is to run these tanks as best as possible with the cheapest thought process.
the room will be a dark painted room with LED strips on the top to add a little light on ceiling, I want the tanks to light the room up as such through the glass.
The Plan
At the minute I have been give a price for an acrylic tank for an 8ft long 4ft wide and 1.6ft high tank. however i am now most likely going to change the size to 8ft x 5ft x 1.6ft i'm looking to make a lagoon/shallow reef for my main display. P.s i am open to offers on acrylic builders if you are out there. the price was very reasonable for the 8x4x1.6.
under the main tank will be a 4ft sump with 3 chambers chamber one will be for receiving the water and for the skimmer to inside into the second chamber will be for all my reactors ie carbon and calcium reactors including dose pumps too. the 3rd chamber will be for water to then drop down into the Refugium.
The refugium will be another 4ft tank but will only have 2 chambers, inside here I will be to grow Chaetomorpha and pods of all kinds to benefit the main display, the second chamber will be for the return.
Inside the main tank will be a collection of fish TBA the rock work will be made into 3 separate islands.

The Quarantine Tanks
I will be having 8-12 tanks for this. yes you heard right lol, however if i can get my hands on a a long tank with dividers i will take that option lol.
the plan with the QT is to remove an chance of parasites. 6-8 tanks will be copper based tanks that will house the fish 2-4 will be for corals inverts and live rock. all new stock will be purchased after week 11 after the first additional live stock is purchased, ie so if i buy on week one 10 tangs for the copper tanks at week 10 the fish will be added to the main display. and new additions will be added to the copper tanks. this will also be happening for the coral, inverts and live rock tanks. they will be spending 12 weeks in QT with no added stock. If anything gets added it will be reset to a week 1.

I am planning on setting up another QT for fish like wrasses that can't take coper as much as the other fish. this will be diluted cupramin or is there a wrasse/angel fish safe copper med out there yet? i am pretty sure i got wind of a conversation of one a couple weeks back but I was unsure.

my weaknesses

Plumbing is one i'm never confident on this, i want to find ways and understandings on the plumbing side to make mine more efficient. I understand glueing the pipes etc but it is planning out and having it connect to things. i am hoping people on here can help me with plumbing in visual explanations.

SPS coral. i think this is most of us but i never had good enough set ups way back when to keep these alive nor the understanding with research i have been enlightened a little.

Impulse buying! ha don't tell me you are all not like this!

Corner cutting. this will not be happening on this build at all. it all has to be done right.
where else can you find me?
I am on Instagram as Saltwater_Fish_Atlantis_Reef
I have also set up a Youtube account which has nothing on it yet. this will be to show my documentation on what i am doing how the fish are doing. (yes corals and inverts too)

well thank you all for reading this. I hope to hear from you all soon and i hope to get advice help and little fish friends.

dsedean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2020, 07:03 PM   #2
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

ya ya ya ya bro lets see the pictures

Unread 06/21/2020, 09:01 AM   #3
dsedean
Registered Member

Been trying but having trouble with this forum to upload pics

Unread 06/21/2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

It's been a problem. Many people are using IMGUR.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2020, 07:05 AM   #5
dsedean
Registered Member

That’s a good idea thank you

Unread 06/24/2020, 07:39 AM   #6
hhaase
Registered Member

I also wonder, does post count play into it? I see three posts from you in this thread alone, but it says "Posts: 0". Does the magic 50 post limit apply to linking images as well as opening up the sales forums?

-Hans

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
hhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2020, 11:54 AM   #7
dsedean
Registered Member

some photo's with water filled. it has been a long week this week. however we are filled and wave makers are in.
pipe work is fitted but at the coupling to the bulkhead is a slight leak but i should be able to fix that was some glue (only a drip here and there but i rather it was sorted) all i am waiting on now is soft tubing for my return pipe and then i shall build that all up once it arrives. i am very excited now as it is all coming together nicely so far so i feel. next on the to buy list is egg crate to raise my skimmer and get my media to sit in the sump designed area.
so here are some pics for you people to see upload_2020-7-11_18-48-31.gif

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZX8e61d

Unread 10/01/2020, 04:42 AM   #8
Axel33
Registered Member

Yup where are the pictures

Axel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You don't even have a tank yet. No need to post pics with nothing to show. I had pages and pages of planning posts to air out my concepts and goals, before I posted any pics.

Your first post indicates a good plan and a smart recognition of your strengths and weaknesses. There are some folks here on RC that can help with plumbing advice.

I like that you're putting the refugium outside of the sump. It never made sense to me to put the gadgets and plants in the same vessel. Ideally the return pump would be in the sump, and the refugium would be above the display. That way water flowing out of the fuge doesn't have to pass through a pump, which can kill plankton. It would just gravity feed into the display. My two cents.

Welcome back the hobby and welcome to RC!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote