Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2019, 07:31 AM   #26
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

It has been a while, especially with a FTS update. Here are some recent pics I took with my phone, so again not the best quality. However, my new phone definitely does a better job of color representation than my old phone.

Front

Side

Other Side

Corner

New Hammer

Favorite Acan/Brain (this guy is in high flow and has caused an intense feeding response from him 24/7)

Top Side

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things have been going. I've had a few corals mysteriously die on me, but most are thriving and my tank is still 95% LPS (I added a couple zoe/palys last month on a whim).

Also, I have several fish. However, they are shy and my rock work encourages hiding when they want to. The tank looks like a fish ghost town but is really not.

Overall, I just wanted to show how things look over a year from my last posting and it has been a couple years since my last FTS. Enjoy!

Current Tank Info: 60G LPS
shaggydoo541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2019, 03:20 PM   #27
russ13
Registered Member

I had a 60 gallon cube and loved it. Except for the available space in the stand wasn’t very user friendly for installing a sump. Sumps are designed to have water come in one side and go out the other. Doesn’t work as well under a cube. Your tank looks great. Keep up the good work

russ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2019, 03:45 PM   #28
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ13 View Post
I had a 60 gallon cube and loved it. Except for the available space in the stand wasn’t very user friendly for installing a sump. Sumps are designed to have water come in one side and go out the other. Doesn’t work as well under a cube. Your tank looks great. Keep up the good work
Thank you Russ. The sump area definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I wish I had a bigger sump for one. Love the cube dimensions though, worth the quirks 😁

Unread 01/25/2020, 06:21 PM   #29
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

Update

Here are a few more updates since it has been almost a year. Things are going very well even though I have not done a water change in over a year. I'm becoming even more radical in my habits. No skimmer and no water changes. I simply harvest lots of macro and change out one of 3 big bags of carbon when I think of it.

Here is a front FTS:

Side FTS:

Other side FTS:

2 top down shots:

Looking at my tank from the sides, you might think there is a lot of room for more stuff. However, the top down shots show how little room there is for any more coral. I've had to move or frag several corals lately that were going to war, overshadowing other corals below, or getting buried by my pistol/goby pair. I've come to terms with not being able to have anything on my sandbed.

Hope you enjoyed looking!

Unread 02/02/2020, 03:05 PM   #30
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

I got a rare glimpse of my pistol/goby pair hard at work today. Normally, they skitter back into their hole the second I get near the tank. However, this time the goby kept his eye on me (never flinching), and allowed the pistol to continue working for nearly 10 minutes. The quality of the video is not great, but at the 1:55 and 3:55 mark you can see some unique behavior as the pistol clears a hermit and nassarius snail that was in the way.

Hope you enjoy this rare glimpse of my favorite tank inhabitants. My water is always cloudy because of this guy digging, but I would never get rid of this pair. The symbiotic behavior they display is simply fascinating.

Note, the first 1 minute of the video is rough, until I tweaked the zoom and angle a bit. The ability to see what is going on gets significantly better at the 1 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/bFzmZ8At8Mo

Unread 02/29/2020, 04:22 PM   #31
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

New DSLR shots

Decided to practice with my DSLR again today, as I haven't used it on my tank for over a year. It is such a challenge shooting a reef tank, but I got a few I liked. Enjoy!

Unread 02/29/2020, 04:23 PM   #32
shaggydoo541
Registered Member

Few More

And a few more.

Unread 03/03/2020, 01:14 PM   #33
vlangel
Registered Member

I like this tank a lot. I love LPS and 60 gallon water volume is similar to my 56 gallon column. I also run skimmerless but I do a 5 gallon WC every week plus harvest macro algae for nutrient export.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote