Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Optionman
Registered Member

Vodka dosing results

Day 95 of vodka dosing my 150g mixed reef (+25g sump). Started with very high levels (nitrate 50, phosphate.74) notwithstanding getting nice growth in all corals, including sps. Below is a chart tracking nutrient levels before and after:
IMG_5917.jpg

Nitrates have dropped to 5 and phosphates are declining but nowhere near as rapidly as nitrates. Is this normal? Should I just worry about nitrates in determining when to switch to “maintenance dose” ? I’m currently dosing 4ml 2x/day. Should I lower phosphates in another fashion?

Any advice from more experienced reefers is appreciated. Here’s my reef:
IMG_5886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 07:35 AM   #2
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Very pretty tank.

I use GFO for Phosphates; while I also did see a reduction in both when I used to carbon dose (I just use a sulfur reactor now) my experience was like your with with Nitrates dropping much faster then Phos. It makes sense to focus on finding your maintenance dose for nitrates and go to GFO for the phos imho.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 08:08 AM   #3
reefgeezer
Registered Member

If I'm reading your chart correctly your nitrates are 5 and your phosphates hover around .06 ppm. IMO, that would be a pretty reasonable target for a mixed reef.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Sawen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
If I'm reading your chart correctly your nitrates are 5 and your phosphates hover around .06 ppm. IMO, that would be a pretty reasonable target for a mixed reef.
I agree.

Sawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Optionman
Registered Member

Quote:
i use the hanna phosphate checker (the ppm, not ppb) and my readings are .6, not .06. am i understanding my reading incorrectly?

Unread 01/26/2018, 09:42 AM   #6
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
i use the hanna phosphate checker (the ppm, not ppb) and my readings are .6, not .06. am i understanding my reading incorrectly?
Sorry, I misread. So is your ULR reading like 200 ppb? The conversion for ppb phos (as reported by the Hanna ULR) to ppm phosphate is something like: (X * 3.066) / 1000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Unread 01/26/2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Optionman
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry, I misread. So is your ULR reading like 200 ppb? The conversion for ppb phos (as reported by the Hanna ULR) to ppm phosphate is something like: (X * 3.066) / 1000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
i don't own the ULR to verify a ppb number but i've used the hanna 713 for over a year so i trust my results.

Unread 01/26/2018, 11:15 AM   #8
josephxsxn
Registered Member

I have the same one as you (hanna 713 ) the ppm colorimeter that measures Phosphate and not Phosphorus. As such its already giving you Po4 so there is no need to do any conversion. A values of 0.6 ppm is just that 0.6 ppm or 600 ppb.. I would setup GFO at that level.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 11:17 AM   #9
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
i don't own the ULR to verify a ppb number but i've used the hanna 713 for over a year so i trust my results.
Sorry... TGIF I guess... I just can't read well today. GFO would be a fine option. Careful to not drop the level too fast. Use small amounts of GFO until you know how much you actually need.

Unread 01/26/2018, 05:53 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

0.6 ppm phosphate is fairly high, but nitrate can be consumed very rapidly from the water column. The results you are quoting seem reasonable to me. At some point, you might need to do something else to reduce the phosphate level, but I'd leave well enough alone as long as your animals are healthy. Coloration problems can be resolved more slowly.

Unread 01/26/2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Optionman
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Animals are healthy. I am dealing with cyano algae but that’s easy compared to dealing with my Red Coris wrasse and his rock flipping antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/26/2018, 07:36 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, I'd just keep going with the vodka dosing, and worry about the phosphate if and when it seems to be necessary.