Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2018, 09:44 PM   #1
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Thoughts on RBTA and lighting

I also posted this earlier in the general discussion thread, but thought it might be better here.

Ok, so let me start by saying that I know my tank is a bit young for an anemone, so please don't just tell me that. I am looking for real advice about the lighting I have. Now that we have that out of the way....

I found a rainbow BTA a few weeks ago at a LFS and could not resist. We just don't see them often here (at least I don't). Needless to say, I purchased it and put it in my 3 month old system where it was flourishing.

Fast forward 2 weeks... I am not happy with the spread of my chinese black box, so I decided to upgrade to a pair of AI Prime HD. These went on the tank Saturday evening. Sunday I did my water change and immediately after the anemone became VERY unhappy. It moved behind the rocks, closed up, and just looked sad.

My first thought was that I messed something up with the water change, but couldn't figure out what. I tested all tank parameters before the water change and made sure that my new water matched perfectly.

Then this morning, I thought I would try using my Astra 120 LED and spotlight the anemone just so I could get a better look at it. This is where things got interesting. I was able to see that the mouth is nice and tight, the color still looks good, and the foot is securely attached to the rock.

The thing that really caught my attention is that it almost immediately started to look better. It started to inflate it's tentacles, it turned toward the light and opened fully. Then I turned the light off and within seconds, it had retracted back and looked VERY sad again. I mean within SECONDS!

Now I am thinking that this was all due to the new lights. I have them Programmed with the BRS AB+ on acclimation mode @50%. Is it not getting enough light? Are the AI prime just not able to support the anemone? Any other thoughts?

I left the Astra 120 on all day while I was at work, and the nem looked AMAZING when I got home. This just verified that the problem is with the AI Primes. Should I just take them off acclimation mode and hope the corals don't mind? AI shows that they only produce about 100 PAR at 24" depth and almost ALL of the corals are on the sand right now, about 28" below the light.

The other option is to upgrade to the Hydra 26, though I would rather not spend the money if I don't need to.

By the way, I have the lights mounted about 13" off the surface of the water, and the anemone is about 7" below the surface.

Tank Params:

40b w/20L sump
Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 Skimmer
Temp = 78.5
ph = 8.3
SG = 1.026
Amm = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = <5
Phosphate = undetectable
Calc = 480
Alk = 8
Mag = 1300

I mix my own saltwater using RO/DI water @ 0ppm TDS and Reef Crystals salt. I have used RC for years and never had a problem. I change out 20 gallons of water every other week.

Tank inhabitants:

Pair of Black Occellaris (they completely ignore the BTA)
Diamond Watchman
Lawnmower Blenny
Royal Gramma
3 x Pajama Cardinals
Melanurus Wrasse
Neon Dottyback (in the sump)
Hammer Coral
Frogspawn
Gold tip Torch
Orange mushrooms
Several acans
Radioactive Eagle Eye zoas ~50 polyps

I have attached a few pics for you below. The first is of the nem this morning before turning on the Astra 120. The second is of it when I got home this evening, after having the Astra spotlight it all day. The Last one is just a pic with the blues turned down so you can see the color of the nem clearly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180807_082603_resized.jpg (56.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180807_200904_resized.jpg (53.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20180807_195436_resized.jpg (55.6 KB, 18 views)
Unread 08/08/2018, 10:36 AM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I would think it has to do with the light spectrum are not the same, could you visually try to match the color spectrum to the asta 120 and see if the nem will react better? In my 29g bio cube and my rbta, gbta loves the ai hydra52. Running peak at around 35% and about 2 or 3 inches above the water inside the hood canopy.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 10:41 AM   #3
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I could try to match the spectrum visually. The only issue I see with that is that the Asta is a freshwater light, so it could cause some algae issues with that spectrum. This was purchased as a light for my fuge to help with chaeto growth.

Unread 08/08/2018, 11:04 AM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I see I thought you got the one that was full sprectrum, then I would say it might take sometime for the nem to acclimate to the full spectrum light, start out low and maybe increase 5% each week? I think with two ai prime he on a 40b should be enough for a rbta’ also if it doesn’t affect the spread, maybe lower the lights to about 6- 8 inches above the water.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote