Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 10:38 AM   #2651
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Mark thank you!
The habanero is the smaller yellow/green one to the right. I assume the wave is what you are calling Red Robin.. could be!
The coral on the right of this shot is a confirmed Red Robin.. just starting to grow..
Yep, 'the wave' is what I meant, though the Red Diablo looks somewhat similar as well. Fast grower.

Unread 09/11/2017, 06:34 PM   #2652
slavetonet
Registered Member

Quote:
Here a cool tryptic:

And a caroliniana forest..
Matt, I think I have a bit of envious feeling toward you right now.
I am not usually like this at all, but these photos sure made me feel that way.

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 10:08 PM   #2653
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Wow Matt those last pictures are amazing
Wow your corals look so healthy

Back to your question:
I don't know which part of Montreal she moved to but that won't be the problem ;-)

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 10:22 PM   #2654
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
... AND of course the biggest change was going to Prodibio's Bioptim as a trace element additive. After the crash, I stopped everything and let things settle. Then I started Bioptim, AF's iodine and fluorine. As nutrients began to drop, I started Polyp Lab's pro colors aminos and Af's vitality and Build. I've been doing this for months. Parameters have been super stable all spring and summer. I think the corals are generally reacting to the lower nutrients, better nutrition and solid parameters..
Ahhh! So you do add some stuff.
I was under the impression you were 100% additive free.
Whatever works, and it certainly has worked for you!!!
Can't wait for Apple to come out with the 3D Iphone

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 06:24 AM   #2655
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Yep, 'the wave' is what I meant, though the Red Diablo looks somewhat similar as well. Fast grower.
Red Robin and red Diablo seem to have similarities.. I suspect light intensity may play a role in changing their appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetonet View Post
Matt, I think I have a bit of envious feeling toward you right now.
I am not usually like this at all, but these photos sure made me feel that way.
. Been there!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
Wow Matt those last pictures are amazing
Wow your corals look so healthy

Back to your question:
I don't know which part of Montreal she moved to but that won't be the problem ;-)
Thanks Flo.
True doesn't really matter. Let me know when you are coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Ahhh! So you do add some stuff.
I was under the impression you were 100% additive free.
Whatever works, and it certainly has worked for you!!!
Can't wait for Apple to come out with the 3D Iphone
Wally, I add everything. I've may have put the kitchen sink in there once or twice..
I am also using a 50/50 mix or Reef Roids and FM Reef Vitality- large pinch every night and have recently begun adding another 50/50 mix of FM Coral Sprint and Coral Balance.
Hear have made my skimmer act very differently- more froth and foam. This may explain my n bottoming out.. we'll see where p goes..
But this doesn't mean it's right for everybody. Every closed system is different and finding what's right for each is a game of patience and observation and yes experimentation.
Your frag tank and sps display are a perfect example.. counter to expectations the tank with less care and 'worse' numbers may be doing better, or not any worse..
I'll be watching Apple's little show today...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 06:30 AM   #2656
reefmutt
Registered Member

Here's a couple more from last weekend..
This coral on the right was/is a brown turd that I have some hopes for. I've already had it for a couple months. It was in bad shape when I got it, then it stned a bit and receded.. I cut it back a lot, keeping one healthy section and now I am waiting to see. It's pe is getting better and then uniformity of colour is better. We'll see what it looks like in a few more months.. fingers crossed..

Wide shot of centropolis..

Wider shot of front.

Right (ish) mid level.

Pink tips, pink matrix, Fox Flame

Some stuff:

Scorpion that I can't get yellow! Although it's colour is coming back from deathly brown, so I will not give up on it..

Last shot..
From top to bottom- pickachu, Robin Hood, pink Cadillac, pinkatrix..

Ok I think that covers it for now!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer

Last edited by reefmutt; 09/12/2017 at 06:38 AM.
Unread 09/12/2017, 07:40 AM   #2657
FloformAustria
Registered Member

O
M
G

Nothing more to say, love this tank!!

And I have to go home to my emptily glass box... unfair

And I will let you know for sure if and when I'll visit

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 01:20 PM   #2658
glaukos
Registered Member

a m a z i n g buddy!!!!!
Definitely TOTM material matt
It would be sooo awesome to have that title too(after ROTM) at the same time man
We are so lucky to have such a great reefer sharing those uniquely beautiful and clear pics,it almost feels like i'm watching a documentary every time...sometimes it's even better tbh

Have you ever been TOTM in the past matt? Can't remember atm and your signature says not such a thing

Unread 09/12/2017, 06:16 PM   #2659
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
O
M
G

Nothing more to say, love this tank!!

And I have to go home to my emptily glass box... unfair

And I will let you know for sure if and when I'll visit

Cheers
Flo, your box may be empty but it's a clean slate. You still have full creative control.
Let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
a m a z i n g buddy!!!!!
Definitely TOTM material matt
It would be sooo awesome to have that title too(after ROTM) at the same time man
We are so lucky to have such a great reefer sharing those uniquely beautiful and clear pics,it almost feels like i'm watching a documentary every time...sometimes it's even better tbh

Have you ever been TOTM in the past matt? Can't remember atm and your signature says not such a thing
Whoa! Mike, thank you. Very nice of you to say but it ain't even close!
Now, if anybody around here saw what your tank is looking like these days, we'd be having a real totm discussion!

Here's a follow up shot to the trio of shots I posted a couple days ago..

WAR! I may have to frag somebody. Looks like caroliniana will lose..

Unread 09/12/2017, 11:56 PM   #2660
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:

Love this one a lot. It should really help FTS pop-up.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 12:36 AM   #2661
i2ik
Registered Member

WOW! Your tank is amazing Matt! Your SPS selection is totally breathtaking! I remembered coming to your house to see your tank maybe 10 years ago and I was already mesmerized by it. I see from the pictures that you have been doing very well in keeping a beautiful reef tank!

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 12:36 AM   #2662
Rakie
In Memoriam

That pink caddy looks like mine -- ****ed off!

Where do you keep it in the tank? Higher up or lower, higher flow or lower. Mine is not the happiest camper, and he's in the upper 1/3 of the tank, with fairly strong flow.

And finally, my Fox Flame has recovered from Dinos and is growing like a weed. It's polyps are deep red, it's body is a pinkish/red color.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 07:45 AM   #2663
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Love this one a lot. It should really help FTS pop-up.
Thank you, Joseph. It is at the very bottom of my tank. So, doesn't play a big role in the aesthetics of the tank.. but you are right, it would be very cool to have it up higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ik View Post
WOW! Your tank is amazing Matt! Your SPS selection is totally breathtaking! I remembered coming to your house to see your tank maybe 10 years ago and I was already mesmerized by it. I see from the pictures that you have been doing very well in keeping a beautiful reef tank!
Hey Richard, wow, where have you been? I can't even remember which tank you saw- if it was the 7 foot 265 or the 5 foot 300- which is the tank shown at the very beginning of this thread..
Well, if you are back in the hobby- and it sure looks like it with a 600g- maybe we should should be meeting again!
Thanks for the kind words. My door is always open, Richard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
That pink caddy looks like mine -- ****ed off!

Where do you keep it in the tank? Higher up or lower, higher flow or lower. Mine is not the happiest camper, and he's in the upper 1/3 of the tank, with fairly strong flow.

And finally, my Fox Flame has recovered from Dinos and is growing like a weed. It's polyps are deep red, it's body is a pinkish/red color.
Yeah, my pink Cadillac has so far been a big disappointment. If is up high in the reef so gets both solid flow and lighting. Until recently, it had a couple other corals encrusting up against its base and they were quite aggressive. I have removed them and am hoping it will do better now. We'll see..
I have another piece in my frag tank and it looks way better- better pe and growth.
Fox flame is a very pretty coral. Mine is growing pretty well, too.
I have a pair of Bellus angels, my pyramid butterfly and a dwarf golden angel who all like to eat sps mucus, so my pe is never fantastic in my display..

Unread 09/14/2017, 08:27 AM   #2664
Rakie
In Memoriam

Hrm, sounds like your Pink Caddy is in similar conditions to mine. Maybe I'll take a little snippet of it and move it towards the bottom to see what happens.

I remember you were interested in seeing Fox Flames so I figured i'd throw that in haha. It *can* get that deep red.

Unread 09/14/2017, 09:54 AM   #2665
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm going to give mine a little more time before I move it.
Well let's see that fox flame, man!
I'd love to have a look. Post it up

Unread 09/14/2017, 02:24 PM   #2666
i2ik
Registered Member

Hey Matt, I think it was a 7 foot tank if I am not mistaken. It was the time where Otto (reefraft) helped me and presented me Greg I think from the store on Décarie. I was also at one point working at Worldfish.

Yes I kept the tank all this years with some water in there but nothing else. Currently cleaning everything and seeing what is still working and what is need to be changed. I quite several years ago after my tank crashed and lost motivation to started it back again. I couldn't keep my elements stable to found out when it was too late and after many water changes that the problem was my salt. Probably a bad batch of salt.

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 09/14/2017, 02:50 PM   #2667
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's a baby, but now that it's not being pestered by algae it's growing and coloring. Still hasn't regained the neon tips.. it will.

Unread 09/14/2017, 04:10 PM   #2668
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's mine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 06:16 AM   #2669
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ik View Post
Hey Matt, I think it was a 7 foot tank if I am not mistaken. It was the time where Otto (reefraft) helped me and presented me Greg I think from the store on Décarie. I was also at one point working at Worldfish.

Yes I kept the tank all this years with some water in there but nothing else. Currently cleaning everything and seeing what is still working and what is need to be changed. I quite several years ago after my tank crashed and lost motivation to started it back again. I couldn't keep my elements stable to found out when it was too late and after many water changes that the problem was my salt. Probably a bad batch of salt.
Hey Rich, yep.. the 7 footer.. I should dig up some photos from that one..
I remember World Fish.
I hope you get your tank up and running again, soon!
it's funny because Greg just got beck into the hobby this summer, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
It's a baby, but now that it's not being pestered by algae it's growing and coloring. Still hasn't regained the neon tips.. it will.

Nice, you can actually see the green just starting up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Here's mine.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Very cool! I love the Sea of cyphastrea leading up to the Flame.
Gotta get that in the display!

Unread 09/15/2017, 08:00 AM   #2670
i2ik
Registered Member

That's great!! I remembered Greg's tank, you guys have been pioneers in reef keeping in Montreal area and very inspiring to many reefers. Does Greg have a build thread on RC? I would love to see his progress!

Been working on the tank mostly for cleaning. There is so many new things in the hobby, I am really not up to date with all the news techniques and equipment. Will need some intense reading on that!

Unread 09/15/2017, 12:15 PM   #2671
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm trying to get greg to start a build thread. He did a fantastic job on building the system and his stand but he's kind of busy and I'm not sure he ever will..
He's already loading it up with corals!
The hobby has changed pretty dramatically in the last decade, thats for sure!
But the basic principles are mostly the same...
Come on Richard! Get that tank going

Unread 09/16/2017, 04:38 AM   #2672
biggles
Registered Member

Congratulations on the ROTM recognition Matt, very well deserved mate

Your pics are just mind blowing to me buddy, all the growing acros contrasting against each others crazy colors. The Fox Flame is awesome, never seen anything like that in my travels.
Wonderful to see your reef hitting it's stride after all your hard work getting it there mate.

I love this pic the most, just awesome mate

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:57 PM   #2673
i2ik
Registered Member

Working on the tank a little bit everyday. Hopefully, it will be up and running in about a month Will probably keep much of my equipment but I was thinking going dosing pumps instead of a calcium reactor this time.

Sounds like Greg took his time and he is off a great start!

Unread 09/17/2017, 07:07 AM   #2674
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Hey Matt, Any new pics of the Furiosa? I really like that one in your tank. All is looking spectacular by the way.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 09:51 AM   #2675
Rakie
In Memoriam

yeah the green is just coming back on the Fox Flame. That picture isn't old, but as of today it's completely encrusted. It's starting to pickup steam. And of course, congrats on your ROTM win!