Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2016, 12:20 AM   #7551
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
...And if you only use a screen or gravel, it's 1-sided; if you add strings, it's more work but it's 2-sided because light gets to both sides of the strings...
@SM, I want to use gravel or quartz to line the inside of my UAS. Do you have an affordable product that you would recommend for this? Got a link?

How and what do I use to adhere the gravel or quartz and string to the inside of the UAS? Silicone?

My grow area will be about 6" wide and 8" tall. How big of an air pump do I need?

Last edited by Jade5051; 01/27/2016 at 12:41 AM.
Jade5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 07:41 AM   #7552
trueperc
Registered Member

Concerning these led
http://www.amazon.com/GLW-Hydroponic...t+30+watt+30+w

would you buy the 20w or the 50w?

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 09:23 AM   #7553
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

The link you pasted doesn't work, the "..." are actually in the link

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 09:57 AM   #7554
trueperc
Registered Member

Sorry it was the amazon link the page before, I believe this might be better:http://www.amazon.com/GLW-Hydroponic...t+30+watt+30+w

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 10:05 AM   #7555
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

It's a vBulletin thing. You can't highlight and copy the text, you have to right-click -> copy the URL then paste it again, and the forum software will then create the hyperlink again.

As for your question, I scrolled back and don't see your previous posts, at least not on the last 2 pages, so I don't know what size scrubber you're putting this on. It depends on that

Unread 01/27/2016, 01:52 PM   #7556
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post

I have that light, and have been cycle testing it for a while. Does put out some good light, and does get warm (power supply is inside it). Have not measured the V and I yet.
Are you getting good growth? I don't know what V and I are?

I am using 2 26 Watt CFL with good growth on 7x9 screen. Do you think a switch to this light would the be justified?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 01:58 PM   #7557
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
It's a vBulletin thing. You can't highlight and copy the text, you have to right-click -> copy the URL then paste it again, and the forum software will then create the hyperlink again.

As for your question, I scrolled back and don't see your previous posts, at least not on the last 2 pages, so I don't know what size scrubber you're putting this on. It depends on that
Floyd

I believe that he his referring to a previous post of mine (#7541). You had a concern about the Chinese chips. I have been searching everything I can think of and from American made I can only find the warm white flood lights. Any idea where to find a red American made chip .

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 01/27/2016, 02:24 PM   #7558
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Floyd

I believe that he his referring to a previous post of mine (#7541). You had a concern about the Chinese chips. I have been searching everything I can think of and from American made I can only find the warm white flood lights. Any idea where to find a red American made chip .
He copied the text from the link instead of the link, which didn't resolve - that was what i was referring to.

Regarding the china vs US, I hear you! I can't find any american distributor either. They're probably all made in china, just some are made better because someone specifies that it is made a certain way.

Unread 01/27/2016, 03:04 PM   #7559
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
He copied the text from the link instead of the link, which didn't resolve - that was what i was referring to.

Regarding the china vs US, I hear you! I can't find any american distributor either. They're probably all made in china, just some are made better because someone specifies that it is made a certain way.
I think I might give this one a try. Looks to be of decent construction. A little worrisome dropping a 100

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_1_44&sr=8-44

Unread 01/27/2016, 09:07 PM   #7560
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
I want to use gravel or quartz to line the inside of my UAS. How and what do I use to adhere the gravel or quartz and string to the inside of the UAS? Silicone? My grow area will be about 6" wide and 8" tall. How big of an air pump do I need?
Any gravel or gravel/sand mixture can be attached with Devcon 30 minute epoxy, one surface per day. For the string, also just use that epoxy afterwards, attaching them to the gravel. Don't use silicone; it does not hold at all.

For a 6" wide surface, any of the 2-outlet pumps should do fine; combine them into your one airline, with 3 or 4 cross cuts to let the air out.

Quote:
Are you getting good growth? I don't know what V and I are? I am using 2 26 Watt CFL with good growth on 7x9 screen. Do you think a switch to this light would the be justified?
I'm not using it, only letting it run. V and I are voltage and current. I think the 20 watt version would be very strong for that screen, especially if one on both sides.

Unread 01/28/2016, 07:11 PM   #7561
outy
Moved On

OK 1 day up and running a ATS

And I guarantee I win the ugly ugly contest but its up and running.

I have a 100g Rubbermaid sump under my house and its now tied into my return flow.

12 X 12 screen

1 30w LED 6500k

1 cube a day for 250g volume.

When Floyd say practice cutting the slot he means it. This is something I must stress that IT NEEDS to be tuned to your screen. 1/8" is a guide line only. Save yourself some time here and start thin and work larger if needed.

Mine is a hair to thick and water rushes to one side and to get even flow I had to lift it up 2"-3"

And of course I glued pieces instead of slip fit and try/practice, do not do this.

I will do another slot but for now it was important to get water flowing over the screen and a light on it to start breaking it in.

I will work on a housing eventually so I can put my 1/2 foam sump cover back on for insulation

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 08:17 PM   #7562
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Flow may even out over time. If you are seeing "arcing" this is because it's a brand new screen.

When you cut a long slot, the pipe will "relax" as you cut it, so you actually end up cutting more material out of the middle to make it even. Schedule 80 is less so, but it still happens.

Unread 01/28/2016, 08:36 PM   #7563
outy
Moved On

The lower 12 X 12 is roughed up as required. that upper 2" is clean and not roughed up.

Use 2 orings to help seal the ends of the screen

Quote:
Flow may even out over time. If you are seeing "arcing" this is because it's a brand new screen.

Thanks Floyd ill run it a few days and see.

Quote:
When you cut a long slot, the pipe will "relax" as you cut it, so you actually end up cutting more material out of the middle to make it even. Schedule 80 is less so, but it still happens
It did and I dremeled a little more and hand filed a nice straight even gap.

I have a heat gun and can try to squish in the end if need be. Would take me an hour to make another though.

Unread 01/28/2016, 08:43 PM   #7564
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Did you rough up the screen?

Unread 01/28/2016, 08:52 PM   #7565
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Yes the bottom 12 X 12

Top 2" is clean for easier cleaning

Unread 01/28/2016, 10:36 PM   #7566
biecacka
Registered Member

Looks good man. I'll be following along. How many cubes a day do you plan to feed?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 12:18 AM   #7567
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Looks good man. I'll be following along. How many cubes a day do you plan to feed?

Corey
Thank you.

1 cube

I only have a tang, a damsel, little wrass, and 3 banggai cardinals

Unread 01/29/2016, 02:24 AM   #7568
frogg21
Registered Member

For a 60 gallon cube and 30 gallon sump. What size would you recommend with the only filtration being algae scrubbers? Also dose the orientation make a difference? Let's say 20 inches long and 13 tall verse a scrubber 20 high and 13 long?

frogg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 02:30 AM   #7569
frogg21
Registered Member

So what would be the best size algae scrubber for a 90 gallon tank with 30 sump ran with the only filtration being a algae scrubbed? And would orientation bea component? Would a 13 tall by 20 verse a screen 20 tall and 13 wide?

frogg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 08:08 AM   #7570
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg21 View Post
So what would be the best size algae scrubber for a 90 gallon tank with 30 sump ran with the only filtration being a algae scrubbed? And would orientation bea component? Would a 13 tall by 20 verse a screen 20 tall and 13 wide?
That would likely be way too big. The sizes are based on cubes fed per day, not size of the tank. For instance on my 450g i have an 8x8 screen (really only utilizing 6x8).

See Floyd's posts noted in his signature:
**REVISED Algae Scrubber Basics!!!
General Interest Forums --> Advanced Topics --> Algae Scrubber Basics (sticky)
--> POSTS #3251-3264 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #7293 (mortar scree

Unread 01/29/2016, 09:50 AM   #7571
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
1 cube
I only have a tang, a damsel, little wrass, and 3 banggai cardinals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post
That would likely be way too big. The sizes are based on cubes fed per day, not size of the tank. For instance on my 450g i have an 8x8 screen (really only utilizing 6x8).

See Floyd's posts noted in his signature:
**REVISED Algae Scrubber Basics!!!
General Interest Forums --> Advanced Topics --> Algae Scrubber Basics (sticky)
--> POSTS #3251-3264 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #7293 (mortar scree
what @Spar said

Quote:
For a 60 gallon cube and 30 gallon sump. What size would you recommend with the only filtration being algae scrubbers? Also dose the orientation make a difference? Let's say 20 inches long and 13 tall verse a scrubber 20 high and 13 long?
Quote:
Refer back to what @Spar said

It's really about feeding more than tank volume. When you get above say 150-200g total water volume, that's where the turnover rate across the screen (i.e. length of the slot) becomes a secondary factor.

so let's say you are feeding 2 or 3 cubes/day in a 100g tank; a 6-8" wide slot pipe and a 6x4 or 6x6 screen would do well for you. But if that was 2-3 cubes/day in a 300g tank, you would want to go with a longer slot pipe by default, say 10-12", and then the height of the screen would largely be dictated by your lighting (form factor of lights)

Unread 01/29/2016, 11:25 AM   #7572
chema
Registered Member

Quote:

When you cut a long slot, the pipe will "relax" as you cut it, so you actually end up cutting more material out of the middle to make it even. Schedule 80 is less so, but it still happens.
"Arcing" is exactly what I have observed in the first trials of my screen. I'll keep observing it as it matures.

chema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 12:37 PM   #7573
iced98lx
Registered Member

Question for those who work with UAS:

is the goal of the air to have BIG bubbles, or to just have constant air passing over? If someone used a pump with a venturi to introduce similar volume of air bubbles to provide the air/water movement would that be sufficient? or would the venturi type concept provide too small of bubbles?

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 10:46 PM   #7574
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Upflow style scrubbers similar to the UAS benefit most with big bubbles. Venturi's work fine, as long as you still get the bubbles.

It's not the water movement you want; it's the turbulent air/water interface (which might sound confusingly similar, but it's not the same).

Unread 01/30/2016, 01:56 PM   #7575
outy
Moved On

Quote:
So much so that if any debris makes it through the slot, it sticks to the screen. Even in the high flow area

There were little pieces of calcium build up from a piece of old 1" pvc I used and they just stick to the screen like glue