Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2012, 06:03 AM   #1026
captbillm
Registered Member

Software Question

I found this European site that Jamie from Vertex posts on. Go there and ask him for addvice.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=578802

captbillm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 10:51 AM   #1027
stewgene
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillm View Post
I found this European site that Jamie from Vertex posts on. Go there and ask him for addvice.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=578802

thanks for the link. Good info on there.

stewgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 07:05 PM   #1028
strendo
Premium Member

Just thought I'd post an update to my broken driver- I'm going on week 3 without my light. Warranty service is horrible for a $2,500 light!

strendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 07:29 PM   #1029
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strendo View Post
Just thought I'd post an update to my broken driver- I'm going on week 3 without my light. Warranty service is horrible for a $2,500 light!
Who are you dealing with? Have you contacted the distributor. Id suggest contacting proline aquatics located in BC.

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2012, 10:03 AM   #1030
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
That is a worry m8. I had a broken v-link and had to wait a few weeks also. Thats a major problem when parts etc are not easily available.
I got in touch with vertex by email and the reply was they don't really break!!
Mine did and was, there were non to be had in the UK and even vertex had none!
Hope your tanks alive and well m8

hagarthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2012, 07:07 AM   #1031
strendo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarthefish View Post
That is a worry m8. I had a broken v-link and had to wait a few weeks also. Thats a major problem when parts etc are not easily available.
I got in touch with vertex by email and the reply was they don't really break!!
Mine did and was, there were non to be had in the UK and even vertex had none!
Hope your tanks alive and well m8
Thnx, I bought it from bulk reef supply, they have them in stock but won't send me one for a replacement. I even offered to pay for another one until they got my broken one back. Really ridiculous, I'm trying to return the light to them now.

Unread 09/25/2012, 08:05 AM   #1032
notclear
Registered Member

That is not good service, in fact terrible. But how about you just buy the v-stick from another supplier?

Unread 09/30/2012, 05:01 AM   #1033
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notclear View Post
That is not good service, in fact terrible. But how about you just buy the v-stick from another supplier?
At the time n8, there were no v-links anywhere in the UK and Vertex had none either. I have got one now however. The others guys problem was not to do with a v-link

Unread 10/02/2012, 11:59 AM   #1034
strendo
Premium Member

Quote:
At the time n8, there were no v-links anywhere in the UK and Vertex had none either. I have got one now however. The others guys problem was not to do with a v-link
Yes, I still haven't gotten the replacement part. I've been without a light for close to a month now. I've had to resort to disputing the charge with my credit card. Horrible customer service! You'd think someone from Vertex would bother following this thread..

Unread 10/03/2012, 05:03 AM   #1035
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I still haven't gotten the replacement part. I've been without a light for close to a month now. I've had to resort to disputing the charge with my credit card. Horrible customer service! You'd think someone from Vertex would bother following this thread..
If you want a Vertex rep to see your postings mate, better to post here: http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=535977

These threads get read by Jamie every few days at least and he will try to help

Unread 10/03/2012, 07:57 PM   #1036
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi,

I am not really sure what happened here but I’d like to offer an apology for any frustration you may have experienced trying to get this replaced. Please contact Brandon Brandon@bulkreefsupply.com 763-432-9691 and he will take care of this immediately. There really is no reason you should have to wait that long for warrantee service on a fairly critical component to your system. Not really a big deal if a tank goes without light for a week but a few is pretty unacceptable, especially on a piece of equipment in this price range.

Like pretty much every product out there be it car, phone, skimmer, light… the warrantee is offered by the manufacture and it is their responsibility to quickly diagnose issues and replace components covered under the warrantee. Vertex and their distributor generally have very helpful service but being as it has been this long I want to make sure you are taken care of immediately. I will make sure Brandon takes care of this quickly and to your satisfaction : )

Again I apologize for the hassle, Ryan

Snarkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2012, 03:40 PM   #1037
ReefShrink
Registered Member

Just joined the club! Ordered it from BRS this morning, they are have it on sale today!

Current Tank Info: DSA 105 PRO, Vertex Illumina SR260, Apex, Tunze 6105 x2, Trigger Systems Ruby 36S, SRO XP2000SSS, GEO Cal Reactor, GEO GFO & Carbon, Emperor Aquatics Smart UV40
ReefShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2012, 10:41 AM   #1038
chuckbuc
Registered Member

I am upgrading from a 120 gal with halides to a 300 gal deep dimension which is 6ft x 3ft by 27" high .I really want to go led on my new build ,I was planning on going with Vegas but seams like the vertex 360 may be the way to go ,what exact model would I need for my new tank and ruffly what does it cost

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2012, 05:36 PM   #1039
ReefShrink
Registered Member

Vertex recommends going one foot less than the length of your tank so a 5 foot 360 runs $3,485.99. It has a very good spread so it should take care of the 36" depth of your tank.

Current Tank Info: DSA 105 PRO, Vertex Illumina SR260, Apex, Tunze 6105 x2, Trigger Systems Ruby 36S, SRO XP2000SSS, GEO Cal Reactor, GEO GFO & Carbon, Emperor Aquatics Smart UV40
ReefShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2012, 02:55 AM   #1040
geniusloci
Registered Member

Quote:
I keep mainly soft and lps and my lights started playing up 3 weeks ago, some pads went out and others look to be brighter than others. Normally when this happens I can reset firmware with the vlink.
BTW, have you ever setup Clouds or Triangular movement? As these are two reasons to have pads with different power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxfoote View Post
I've also ordered Vertex Red and UV modules and we'll get them setup when they arrive.
The Red module (and the red light in general) is very overwhelming, in the long run you may ignore it completely. UV pads are actually more like True Violet - they are partially in the visible range but keep in mind the RBs cover some part of that range. What can cause change of pigmentation or lack of bright colouration is low level of the Whites or high level of the Blues (which are also very overwhelming in my experience). So far on SR360 with added UV/RB and one Red) I use 20-40% White, 90% RB and less than 30% Blue. UV - 10 to 20% with short 30% rise at noon. I used some Red each morning and evening, but some LPS corals and all the bubble tip anemones shrink the moment it shows - it seems they don't like it and afaik I will not get any good color if they start producing pigmentation to shield from the red light.

In general - there is almost nothing from the red spectrum in deep water, and true UV is filtered as well, so I don't see much need to supplement the reds (the UV pads add violets and near-visible spectrum so they stay), as they will be used mostly by algae. At least I think so, judging from my brief Illumina experience.

geniusloci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2012, 07:06 PM   #1041
notclear
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShrink View Post
Vertex recommends going one foot less than the length of your tank so a 5 foot 360 runs $3,485.99. It has a very good spread so it should take care of the 36" depth of your tank.
I don't think it will cover well for a 36" depth tank. My tank only has 22" depth and I have my light 4.5" above the water line and my impression is that it is not even enough. I have the SR200 model though.

Unread 11/12/2012, 05:59 AM   #1042
geniusloci
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think it will cover well for a 36" depth tank. My tank only has 22" depth and I have my light 4.5" above the water line and my impression is that it is not even enough. I have the SR200 model though.
The SR360 is much brighter, so far I cannot use it on full power yet (except the RB just because it is not as visible as the whites). Cannot produce PAR readings with my seneye meter though, it just doesn't read LEDs well, if at all.

Unread 11/16/2012, 07:40 AM   #1043
notclear
Registered Member

My fixture firmware is at the latest 1974, after adding some RB Aux pads to it, does anyone know that do I still need to re-update the firmware with Complete option or I don't need to do it?

I believe I don't have to do the update, but just want to be sure. Thanks.

Unread 11/19/2012, 01:00 AM   #1044
yort265
Registered Member

My 3ft SR360 will be here tomorrow and I wanted opinions on the UV & Red add-on pads. My tank isn't setup yet, but will be mixed. It's 25" tall. It seems like there's mixed reviews on the reds and that there may not be any benefit of either as far as photosynthesis is concerned within the coral.

What are the wavelengths of the Reds & the UVs?

If I understand the add-on process correctly, on the 3ft fixture I should have 5 spaces to add pads. Is this correct? If so, what would be anyone's recommendation to adding Red &/or UV?

Thanks in advance.

Troy

yort265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2012, 06:28 AM   #1045
notclear
Registered Member

I believe the UV is around 410nm and the red is about 660nm.

One red and two UV are enough for your setup. Then you still have two spots for future color pads.

Unread 11/19/2012, 08:12 AM   #1046
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe the UV is around 410nm and the red is about 660nm.

One red and two UV are enough for your setup. Then you still have two spots for future color pads.
You are correct about the wavelengths however uv is defined by the wavelengths from 1 to 400 nm which is invisible and dangerous. The uv pads we refer to are actually voilet and not uv.

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 12:27 PM   #1047
Shakeeb
Registered Member

hey guys i bought the virtex illumina for the past 2 weeks and now i am 70% w 99%rb and 98% b....
but am feeling that my corals are some how loosing its color...
i dont knw if i am right, but i hope i am wrong and the perdiod of light is around 8hours w
AND 11 hours a bit blue...

Shakeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 02:08 AM   #1048
geniusloci
Registered Member

8 hours is short in my opinion. Best thing to do is look at the average day lenght of some tropical or near equatorial islands/countries, sun is high more than 10 hours daily.

BTW - which Illumina?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
You are correct about the wavelengths however uv is defined by the wavelengths from 1 to 400 nm which is invisible and dangerous. The uv pads we refer to are actually voilet and not uv.
They have some part of their spectrum in the invisible range, but we often don't see below 400nm, while Violet is defined as 380-450nm, which is also where the UV starts. I think they peak about 400nm and cover 390-420 nm.

I'd advise against buying the Red Auxiliary modules though, you wouldn't be able to use them at more than 5% or so or the whole tank will look reddish. Sure they are nice for sunrises and susnets, but there are tons of corals and other live stock that don't like the red. For example some of my BTAs shrink the moment the red rises. At the end I just left it on for 30 minutes every morning and evening and I'll probably get rid of it and get another RB or UV.

Unread 11/22/2012, 08:35 AM   #1049
mariusmeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeeb View Post
hey guys i bought the virtex illumina for the past 2 weeks and now i am 70% w 99%rb and 98% b....
but am feeling that my corals are some how loosing its color...
i dont knw if i am right, but i hope i am wrong and the perdiod of light is around 8hours w
AND 11 hours a bit blue...
Just makes sure the loss of colour is not due to bleaching as light shock can cause this. What lights did you move from?

mariusmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 01:12 PM   #1050
ruslicus
Registered Member

Hi guys. Just order 2ft SR260 fixture and want to ask your advise on AUX modules. How many and what type of modules you would recommend to install on 2ft fixture to get the best performance and colors. Any input or explanation would be great. Thx

ruslicus is offline   Reply With Quote