Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2016, 10:28 AM   #2076
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very cool! Thanks for sharing zachxlutz!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 10:54 PM   #2077
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The mollies are settling in more, exploring more of the tank. Several females look pregnant. The grammas seemed to have backed off a bit, so they're venturing lower. It's wild, watching them swim in the current, right alongside the lookdown. I think Sheldon likes the company!

I'm getting quite the motley crew of fish ova hea!

In order of introduction:
6 Barnacle Blennies
7 Royal Grammas
1 Lookdown
13 Silver Sailfin Mollies

That's 27. All these fish were on my original fish wish list, but I would never have guessed I would have this particular combination. There's room for a few more, if I choose well. I see room for something between the mollies up top and the grammas in the middle. Blue Chromis!

Feeding time, with all these fish, is kinda nuts! I'm not dosing nitrate lately, as I think the new guys are providing lots of ammonia 'nstuff for the plants already. I'm still running iron, CO2, calcium and silicate though.

I'm rereading an excellent book, The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, by Diana Walstad. If you want to learn about planted aquariums this is THE BOOK!

Unread 10/26/2016, 09:39 PM   #2078
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This looks like a sequence, but it's not.

Sheldon is the leader of the pack.

So much visual energy with all these fish!

Look at that face!

Not really schooling, but very gregarious.

Sheldon, reflecting on stuff.

Unread 10/26/2016, 09:50 PM   #2079
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sheldon is in stealth mode! Lol

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 10:09 PM   #2080
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Can you see the condylactis anemone is bigger?

Unread 10/26/2016, 10:15 PM   #2081
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you see the condylactis anemone is bigger?
I was actually thinking that in one of your previous posts within the past week or two.

What do you attribute it to?

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 10/26/2016, 10:27 PM   #2082
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Bigger feedings. I quickly saw a difference. The question now is how big do I want it to get? It's already taking up valuable space at this size, but bigger would be very cool.

The tank seems to be humming along pretty well, with all the new fish. Plants are so adaptable. In a few weeks, I should have molly fry exploding in numbers. Sheldon, and the rest of them will really get a kick out of that! Can't wait! The thrill of the hunt!

Unread 10/26/2016, 10:31 PM   #2083
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Bigger feedings. I quickly saw a difference. The question now is how big do I want it to get? It's already taking up valuable space at this size, but bigger would be very cool.

The tank seems to be humming along pretty well, with all the new fish. Plants are so adaptable. In a few weeks, I should have molly fry exploding in numbers. Sheldon, and the rest of them will really get a kick out of that! Can't wait! The thrill of the hunt!
I vote for ginormous condy!

How are the grasses doing with less dosing and after you lopped half of them off? Lol Are they starting to grow back?

Foam Wall
Unread 10/26/2016, 10:55 PM   #2084
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The manatee grass looks great, the turtle grass is shorter. The smaller shoal grass has been multiplying and growing about the DSB. They grow back pretty quickly. I like the look, with less turtle grass in front. This way, I don't have to rip them out of the DSB.

I'm dosing a little less frequently but I continue. I added live mud and plant tabs around a month ago. All the new fish are producing lots of ammonia 'nstuff, so I'm backing off a bit. Seagrasses prefer ammonia as its nitrogen source, so I expect them to react favorably.

Tank watching is just a blast with all the new additions! I've never had a marine tank with this many fish in it.

Unread 10/27/2016, 06:22 AM   #2085
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Lookin' great!!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 06:57 PM   #2086
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a quick video!

https://youtu.be/kXEaev44rY0

Unread 10/27/2016, 07:15 PM   #2087
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a quick video!

Finally!!!

Looks great!

Foam Wall
Unread 10/27/2016, 07:31 PM   #2088
Portsie
Registered Member

Wow Michael! Looking awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/27/2016, 09:14 PM   #2089
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's a quick video!

Wow. Sheldon looks perpetually nervous!

I really can't say it enough, but this is such a great tank. I love how outside of the norm it is. It's so visually interesting!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 10:14 PM   #2090
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks guys!

My first Youtube video! I know it was pretty rough, but I just wanted to get something out there. Hopefully I'll get inspired and do some more.

I added 3 more female mollies today. Two had died, so I wanted to restore the 2-1 ratio, so no female gets too harassed. I fed the deceased to the anemone.

Unread 10/28/2016, 07:07 AM   #2091
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachxlutz View Post
I really can't say it enough, but this is such a great tank. I love how outside of the norm it is. It's so visually interesting!
I couldn't agree more. I've always thought this, but even more after seeing the vid, of how realistic the mangrove looks, very impressive. I know you think it's too big, but, I think it's perfect!

Of course, I love the blenny segment of the video, they're so cool. At first though, I wondered why I'm only seeing 4 of them. I had to go back several times to see the fifth one (the top one). If he didn't move, I'd have never seen him. He blends in so well.

Sheldon keeps eyeballing those mollies and they have no clue that they're a potential meal for him someday.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 10/28/2016, 09:39 AM   #2092
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Chasmodes, and zachxlutz! I do forget how "out there" I am at times, so It's nice to be reminded.

In my mind it was a logical progression. After realizing I just didn't have what it takes to be as successful as I wanted with my reef tank, I decided to give fresh water planted tanks a try. I had success, and I noticed how much more I liked plants than corals. Long story short, I got interested in marine plants, particularly seagrass, and the idea for this tank was hatched.

The blennies are cool. Next vid, I'll feed them, so you can see how fast and bold they are.

The mollies have gotten pretty fearless around Sheldon!

Chasmodes, your tank will be even more weird than mine! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Unread 10/29/2016, 10:29 AM   #2093
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I can't wait either...I'm frustrated about my tank, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
The blennies are cool. Next vid, I'll feed them, so you can see how fast and bold they are.
I can't wait for this either

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/30/2016, 09:55 PM   #2094
wilder
Registered Member

I absolutely loved that video and the updated pics. It never crossed my mind to try such a large group of mollies in a planted marine tank. They look wonderful and give me ideas. In my freshwater planted tank I had a large red platy that I called "big mama". She kept all the other fish in line and allowed no fighting. She also encouraged shyer fish to come out more. I really miss her. Thinking a few mollies in my tank in memory of her would be great.

Unread 10/30/2016, 11:31 PM   #2095
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks wilder! It is a lot of mollies! I was surprised how much I liked the look of them. I'm hoping they'll make a lot of babies. I was told 2 to 1 females to males was best for mollies. I have 5 males and 11 females. I'm feeding them well, as they don't have much algae to eat, with all my snails, and I want to fatten them up and breed. I have some pregnant females, but not all are. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time. It's freaking Caligula in there!

Sheldon is getting along solo OK. He doesn't swim as creatively without a mate to school with. He does mix it up with the mollies though, so that helps. These fish seem to have no aggression at all. Oh, and I've never seen him poop.

I spotted a berghia nudibranch today. It's the first one I've seen since I added them months ago. That's encouraging. Very slowly, my aiptasias are disappearing.

Unread 10/31/2016, 11:32 AM   #2096
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I had a little caulerpa sexual event over saturday night. The (living) sponges cleared it up quickly. So I guess plant nutrients are getting depleted. I had suspended nitrate dosing after introducing all the mollies, figuring they'd be adding a lot of new ammonia, etc.

So Sunday I resumed all dosing.

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:28 AM   #2097
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I have your blenny pic as my wallpaper, and finally saw the 6th blenny hiding behind what I think is an anemone. In an earlier post of mine about the video, I said that I saw the 5 blennies...after watching the vid again, I can faintly see the sixth one.

I really think that they're so cool, that I may eventually have to have a tank just for these guys along with the natural filtration/macro algae theme, of course

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:58 AM   #2098
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, picking that one out on the wall takes a keen eye! Speaking of which, Dora, the last one to move into the barnacle shells, is exploring again. She was down in front, under some blue hypnea, then she was on the back wall last night. I haven't found her yet this morning.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, these are the toughest fish I've ever kept. And despite their 'hidey' nature, they have no fear of the others in the tank. When I added the last two, one got repeatedly attacked by a gramma. Most fish would go into shock, cowar in a corner and wait for death. This one just got on with the business of finding a home. I'm feeding large mysis to the lookdown. When the grammas or mollies get a hold of one, they kind of chew it. The blennies simply swallow them whole. The mysis are are about one third their size!

These fish are such a pleasure to keep, and as bulletproof as they come. On top of all that, they are just hilarious looking!

I just had to take a couple pics!

Unread 11/01/2016, 01:11 PM   #2099
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Very cool Michael, thanks! New desktop work PC backgrounds

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/01/2016, 01:54 PM   #2100
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm glad you like them, Chasmodes, thanks! And thank you for reminding me how cool these fish are. With all the new fish, they can get lost in the shuffle.

The mollies look really good. It looks like six of the eleven females are pregnant. Two could pop any day now, I think. I'm feeding them heavily. I'm surprised all the females aren't pregnant, with all the shenanigans going on. I assume the holdouts will get knocked up at some point.

I can't wait to see babies! I'm sure Sheldon would echo that sentiment, if he knew what was coming. I'm hoping that hunting will give him new purpose. Without another lookdown, his behavior is less interesting, swimming in more repetitive patterns. But with live food to hunt and eat, I'm hoping he'll 'come out of his shell'.

With the mollies hogging the show, the grammas are less visible. They seem to be continuously spawning. Having three different schools of fish, all engaged in spawning behaviors, is a lot to take in. It looks so much more natural than a tank full of one of each fish.

I'd love to get another lookdown or two. But I don't think I can go through that again! They need so much more food than the other fish, it's like a part time job. I'm going to wait and see how the molly factory goes. If it looks like they will produce an abundance of live food, then I'll consider it.

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass