Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2017, 04:38 AM   #1
geckoejon
Registered Member

best led's w/ basic controller???

hello,

may i have some recommendations for the great led's that have a basic controller? mainly looking for just a handheld remote, that will enable me to program a schedule....

i need to light a 220g (6x2x2) & a 75g (4x2x2)

i currently have 3x hydra 52 hd's & 3 hydra 52's that i'm looking to replace... sure there is tech support, but i'm tired of having to contact them :-/

i don't give a rip about controlling it from across country, having a hurricane / typhoon effect, it being able to do algebraic equations, or any other garbage... just want it to work reliably, look good, and grow nice nems / coral...

p.s. is it just me, or did the ai page on rc disappear? i can't find it....

Current Tank Info: 220g mixed reef & a red sea reefer bad fish tank :0)

Last edited by geckoejon; 04/05/2017 at 04:43 AM.
geckoejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 04:44 AM   #2
kissman
Registered Member

Reefbreeders LED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 04:48 AM   #3
A sea K
Registered Member

Kessil or Maxspect Razor.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 05:24 AM   #4
geckoejon
Registered Member

Kissman, reefbreeders are great, except the boards always seem to burn out between a year and 2 yrs of use... I had a handful of them...

A sea k, pass on kessils. They don't have enough punch. I'll check out the maxpect.

Unread 04/05/2017, 05:55 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoejon View Post
Kissman, reefbreeders are great, except the boards always seem to burn out between a year and 2 yrs of use... I had a handful of them...

A sea k, pass on kessils. They don't have enough punch. I'll check out the maxpect.
I've had 4 Reef Breeders Photons running for almost 6 years before I switched tanks and got new RB Photon V2.

You don't want Kessils, AI or RB (all well made brands IMHO), so go big and get Eco Tech Radions and see if they can satisfy your need for perfection. Oh that's right, AI and Eco Tech are the same company... oh well. You seem to have enough opinions of your own about led fixtures, so why are you asking us? Maybe you should give us a list of brands you find unacceptable? BTW, Maxspect are made in China if that makes any difference to you. Good luck.

Unread 04/05/2017, 06:40 AM   #6
geckoejon
Registered Member

Ron, I asked for suggestions for lights, not attitude from a mighty keyboard warrior that is ignorant of all the facts... if all you are going to do is try to be a keyboard warrior, then how about keeping it to yourself?

Just FYI, I had 5 rb photons. I had to change the boards on 3 out of 5 within 2 yrs... the customer service was great, but didn't like the idea of changing boards. There are numerous other people / posts with the same issue... maybe they have improved since then?

Kessils don't have enough punch for carpet nems especially with a 30" deep tank...

I had hydra 52's running for several years, and never had an issue. I bought hydra 52 hd's for my 220g because I wanted to upgrade. I had them for awhile on a frag tank, and then switched them over to the 220g.... since then I have had to contact tech support several times for issues such as my current one.... they just change time zones by themselves... seriously?!?! I change it in the controls, and they change back a few minutes later... I've contacted tech support AGAIN, and am waiting for a response... I would not have these petty issues if it just had a basic controller... I'm tired of contacting tech support because these things are seriously over engineered...