Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2008, 01:56 PM   #26
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

actually heres a close up ive just taken, the lights have only been on an hour tbh, and the corals do come out a little more but this is the latest

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 04:54 PM   #27
Bernie21
Registered Member

Sorry I took so long to Join, Michael, I think this is a great Idea, I meant to respond to your PM, but w the holidays I've been a lil backed up!!!
As far the thin layer of film on top, I have one of my 3 return outlets pushing water to the overflow, sort of, it seems to do well.

Here is a link to my build thread, my tank is fairly new. I hope you can enjoy!!!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1505179

This is a great Idea, I was able to get throughbuilding my tank w a lil creativity and the help of 4 corner tank owners, so thanks Husky, SIr John, Flfireman & Michael!!

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 05:27 PM   #28
Bernie21
Registered Member

HEre are a few pics of my tank, I began adding my corals & a few other fish, so these pics are not fully updapted yet!!

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Unread 12/25/2008, 07:11 PM   #29
scottallert
Registered Member

bernie, nice fish collection i wish i could have a idol there incredible looking fish

scottallert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 09:17 PM   #30
kelso1980
Registered Member

Wow so glad i found this thread. I have a 54G corner that i've had set up since october. I love it and I dont think i'll ever go w a conventional one, despite the complications. Biggest problem i've found is there's so little space underneath for sump and extras. I seriously need an ATO.
I'll post some pics when I get home from the holidays.

kelso1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 09:57 PM   #31
flipsideleo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hookup
Hey Flip, nice build thread you have there.... whatever happened to the puffers you started with? (I did read *most* posts but I might have missed it).

Looking forward to discussing your canopy build-out. I really only have one "idea" that is workable for the curvy parts up front, which is to use a jig-saw just like you did on your stand and cut braces for the canopy sheathing to keep the curve shape. Steaming and bending wood really isn't an option.

I do not want to wimp out and have one built by a professional... Like you I love DIY/tinkering with things... 175g sump on a 90 tank for example... LOL...
Thanks man! It's always nice to hear that from people... "especially" those that are dealing with the same "nightmare."

I gave the puffers to a local club member. He is a nice guy and my little guys will have a good home for sure. That was my number one concern because they are what got me hooked in this hobby.

I'm working out a plan of attack for my canopy as we type on this thread. The current plan is to mod my table saw a bit, and do a kerf cut style bend to make the curve that screws us all up. Bending is actually easier than kerf cutting, but I have no experience in it. The only reason I know is because of a guy on here that did a sweet 92... can't remember his name... maybe 8_Ball, or something like that.

I have a pretty good idea for a sump but it's not my idea. I saw it on a thread for a 54g corner, but I can't (for the life of me) find the link. I'll just keep on going as time/money permits. Funny thing is, I already have plans for another tank, too.

This hobby is extremely addictive, but at least my family members didn't have to call and ask me what I wanted for Xmas this year.

flipsideleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 10:02 PM   #32
flipsideleo
Registered Member

Wow! Some of ya'll's tanks are impeccable! I have a lot of catching up to do.

Current Tank Info: 120g Grow Out / 60g Grow Out
flipsideleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 11:20 PM   #33
phish guy
Registered Member

Bernie21-very nice set up. love the branching rock at the top. i say cover that sucker in every color zoa frag you can find.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 01:03 AM   #34
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by kelso1980
Wow so glad i found this thread. I have a 54G corner that i've had set up since october. I love it and I dont think i'll ever go w a conventional one, despite the complications. Biggest problem i've found is there's so little space underneath for sump and extras. I seriously need an ATO.
I'll post some pics when I get home from the holidays.
welcome to the club and happy holidays, make sure you all put each other in you buddies list, i will do mine later, we can then know when were on line and start to help each other out, great posts guys, nice to see you all, hope more join in as well, every corner owner is very welcome here

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 12/26/2008, 08:59 AM   #35
epstein
Registered Member

My ears were Ringing sooo here I am .....I love my corner and quite frankly would love to get my hands on a Bigger one.....I am running a 92 with custom made walls ...a custom "L" shaped sump/refuge and a 48" dual 250 mh with atinicts setup....I an running a mag 12 for return ...into lock line which is then run down to my 4" sand bed and pointing up in 4 different spots...I am gonna get amag 18 and try for a little more flow....Skimming is with a cpr tower and rio 2100 pump....POST IS ALREADY TO LONG WINDED SORRY......

BRIAN

Current Tank Info: 150 DD Cube / 100 Gal Sump(basement) 30gal cube frag tank plumb Panworld 250ps return/ Reef Octopus SRO3000 Skimmer/ Bubble Magus Doser/Lumenmax reflector with 400 watt Radium bulb Ice Cap Ballast Apex Controller 2 MP40wes 2 gyre 150
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 09:28 AM   #36
epstein
Registered Member

custom "L" shaped sump and refuge

Current Tank Info: 150 DD Cube / 100 Gal Sump(basement) 30gal cube frag tank plumb Panworld 250ps return/ Reef Octopus SRO3000 Skimmer/ Bubble Magus Doser/Lumenmax reflector with 400 watt Radium bulb Ice Cap Ballast Apex Controller 2 MP40wes 2 gyre 150
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 10:45 AM   #37
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by epstein
My ears were Ringing sooo here I am .....I love my corner and quite frankly would love to get my hands on a Bigger one.....I am running a 92 with custom made walls ...a custom "L" shaped sump/refuge and a 48" dual 250 mh with atinicts setup....I an running a mag 12 for return ...into lock line which is then run down to my 4" sand bed and pointing up in 4 different spots...I am gonna get amag 18 and try for a little more flow....Skimming is with a cpr tower and rio 2100 pump....POST IS ALREADY TO LONG WINDED SORRY......

BRIAN
thanks for coming on brian, i love your set up and hopefully some of the guys with a corner and no sump can have a good chat to you about your fantastic sump, happy holidays brian

MIKE

Unread 12/26/2008, 02:19 PM   #38
Hookup
Registered Member

@Bernie21; nice looking setup. Can you take a photo of your canopy with the "door" open.. Once close up of how the door system is connected & hinged and a far-back shot (full shot) ...

I'll post some new photos in this thread shortly... almost done my aquascaping.. but not quite...

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 02:35 PM   #39
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hook it will be nice to see some shots, will be interesting how you have done it, not sure how many different layouts there can be but im intreaged

MIKE

Unread 12/26/2008, 03:31 PM   #40
Bernie21
Registered Member

Good luck Hook up, Ill post some pics for you 2night!! I also have a L-Shaped Sump, it seemed like the way to go!!!

Unread 12/26/2008, 03:33 PM   #41
Bernie21
Registered Member

Oh yeah and thanks for the compliments on the fish & on the aquascaping, I love the Idol, he truely is beautiful & as far as the top branch Rock, thats not a bad Idea, I just have to see because it is Prime real estate!!

Unread 12/26/2008, 04:55 PM   #42
Hookup
Registered Member

Yeah, I went a bit over-board on the sump. I drilled holes in the floor and setup a 175 gallon sump in the basement. I know it's overkill but bigger is easier, and I had the room. The under the tank stuff is just so noisy so I wanted it moved to the basement. Ive dialed down the flow so that I have about 200-300gph flowing through the display into the sump, and once the vortex pumps arive I'll have 4000gph in the main tank but they are the variable speed ones to get some random flow and keep everything suspended longer... that should be a few weeks due to holiday season.

I've also just started to use the Ultra-Lith system from Faunamarin.de. Two days in, so I'll have to let you know. Tonight's photo (I will take and post) will be the 2-day photo on the corals (frags), so we'll see in a few weeks what colors up.

My build link was posted earlier, not that exciting of a read, but it has some photos of the current sump room.. which is going to be rebuilt likely in the spring...

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Unread 12/26/2008, 06:24 PM   #43
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Okay so I finally got around to taking some pics of my corner tank. Im almost embarrassed to display them. Please excuse the egg crate box covering my gigas clam. Its an attempt to keep my Regal away from eating the mantle.
Anyhow here it goes,
FTS with flash:

Left side of tank:

Right side of Tank:

FTS without flash:

Not a very good pic of my flame wrasse, but its the only one I have.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 07:01 PM   #44
Hookup
Registered Member

My tank shots from this evening as promised...

Full tank front shot.

From above...

Left Side...

Right Side...

Sump Room

The Sump room is more crowded at this point. The crappy skimmer has been replaced with an Octo-Pro 300 and I've added phosban and carbon reactors... to that same first tank with the skimmer in the photo. And added a QT system into the room as well that is always on adding about 20gal to the sump...

The Sump itself holds 175gal. I measured the water level when it was running and used the calculator. There are 2x40g tanks (top) and 2x55g tanks (bottom) and a 25gal tank (not shown) in the sump room...

Unread 12/26/2008, 07:03 PM   #45
phish guy
Registered Member

very nice. love the monti colonies. and WoW on the flame wrasse never seen that one before, awsome.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
Unread 12/26/2008, 07:04 PM   #46
phish guy
Registered Member

Hook up- what knida lighting is that? looks like a bunch of HQI's.

Unread 12/26/2008, 07:28 PM   #47
Hookup
Registered Member

The lights are only partly finished... so as of right now (the photo) there is the main light from the 400 watt MH (20,000K) mounted in a luminbright reflector at about 16" above the water. This was a HUGE upgrade from my previous reflector.. I used the larger size luminbright reflector as well, even though you'd think the smaller one would work on our tanks better...
There are also 4 T5HO bubls in the tank. two are True actinic and two are daylight ish? They bring out the red/pink.. cannot remember the exact correct name.

I am adding 2 more T5 bulbs once I get the canopy finished.. they will be across the front of the "bow" facing downwards...

I think what you are seeing in the over-head shot is the luminbright reflecting the MH.

Unread 12/26/2008, 07:32 PM   #48
Hookup
Registered Member

FIFIREMAN - WOW... can I get a list of your fish? You've got some really nice ones. How's the antharis (sp) doing? I see you have a few... LOOKS very beautiful... Must be a joy to have...

Unread 12/26/2008, 08:30 PM   #49
scottallert
Registered Member

hey corner people, should i get a 250 watt halide of 150 watt halide for my 60 gallon corner, im also putting in 2 t5s for the more bluer look
so 150watt
or 250 watt?

scottallert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2008, 08:43 PM   #50
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Hookup
FIFIREMAN - WOW... can I get a list of your fish? You've got some really nice ones. How's the antharis (sp) doing? I see you have a few... LOOKS very beautiful... Must be a joy to have...
Thank you,
My wife loves the fishies so I have to keep her happy. If I list my stock list Im going to have the fish police come and get me. But anyhow, here it is. All fish are very fat and happy and I have no aggression issues. I believe the amount of rock in the tank (about 125lbs) helps since there are so many hiding places for the fish.
Purple Tang
Blue hippo tang
swiss guard baselet
mandarin goby
3 bartletts anthias
regal angelfish
potters angelfish
flame angelfish
yellow clown goby
neon goby
flame fairy wrasse (male)
pylei fairy wrasse
clown/solar fairy (soon to be removed)
1 female fairy wrasse (unknown species)
Male african leopard wrasse (my pride and joy)
female african leopard wrasse
female leopard wrasse (melagris)
and finally a pair of mated Gold Stripe Maroons that regularly lay eggs. One day I will try and see if I can grow out the eggs. Right now they are caviar

The anthias are doing great. Had them for about 8 months now. I was lucky to get a trio with one male and two females.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowfront, corner tank thread