Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2009, 03:29 PM   #251
Eldredge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nicks387
I have a cbb I have had for a month now. My tank is a 300 gallon with a 120 gallon tank for a sump. The sump is just used for holding live rock and my zeo reactor so its more like another tank. The reason I keep him down there is my PBT picks on him when hes in the display. Anyway he has cleaned out all my aptaisia from all my rock but wont eat anything else. Could he be surviving on something else down there or should I get him out?
The first one I had in my 125 wouldn't eat anything but the aptasia and tube worms. Once they were gone, he eventually starved to death. I never could get him to eat anything else, and the 125 didn't make enough to support him apparently. The one I have now eats some frozen food, and is growing and doing well. Good luck.

Eldredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2009, 05:40 PM   #252
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Very interesting as we humans also react VERY well to oils such as omegas.
We as humans can only take a very small amount of vitamin A and D but fish are used to eating other fish which are loaded with oil. A fish like a shark is about one fifth liver and that is almost all oil.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 12:53 PM   #253
Amoore311
Registered Member

Hey Paul, just picking your brain here about the earthworms.

Do you buy them, or just pull them out of the ground and toss em in?

I've got experience with reptiles, and earthworms are frowned upon for them because they can lead to parasites. What about any other insects for the fish? Meal worms, wax worms, super worms... any experience with any of these? Do you gut load the worms at all?

I hold your opinions to a very high regard, but I have to admit... I don't think I would feel comfortable feeding worms as a staple diet. As a supplemental item I could see it being a great addition to my feeding schedule though.

100 Gallon Custom Rimless Mixed Reef 2012-2014
29 Gallon Biocube Reef! Current

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Biocube, StevesLED Upgrade, Neptune Apex
Amoore311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 01:34 PM   #254
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I've got experience with reptiles, and earthworms are frowned upon for them because they can lead to parasites.
The only problem with land worms is you don't know what the worms have been eating or if they have been exposed to insecticides or grub poisons. If I use earthworms I hold them under a faucet with the head up. Squeeze the worms to clean out their gut. You can also keep them damp for a couple of weeks in clean rotting leaves to purge their system. I used to freeze them and break them in smaller pieces. I don't feel any paracites that would live in a land worm will live in saltwater.

I don't think insects would be a good food. I believe they lack calcium and oils and are mostly protein. Worms are the only non saltwater animal I know of that have the needed oils in them.
I feed live blackworms every day.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 07:57 PM   #255
M. L. Fish
Registered Member

Aside from what it gets from picking at the rock, my CBB will only eat clam meat. I got it from a fellow reefer who shut down her tank. Because I have several aggressive feeders in this tank, I had to come up with a feeding method where he would get his share. I bought a small plastic box with a lid on it and drilled several small holes in it. He can get get his long, narrow snout in the holes and the other fish cannot. Works great. He is fit and healthy.

Current Tank Info: 90g corner mixed reef, 225g mixed reef
M. L. Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 11:20 PM   #256
Aqua Keepers
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by M. L. Fish
Aside from what it gets from picking at the rock, my CBB will only eat clam meat. I got it from a fellow reefer who shut down her tank. Because I have several aggressive feeders in this tank, I had to come up with a feeding method where he would get his share. I bought a small plastic box with a lid on it and drilled several small holes in it. He can get get his long, narrow snout in the holes and the other fish cannot. Works great. He is fit and healthy.
Got pics?

Aqua Keepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 06:51 AM   #257
rick8335
Moved On

Thanks for all of the great info

rick8335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2009, 08:53 AM   #258
TerraC
Registered Member

Here's my CBB. I've had him 6yrs. Survived 1 tank upgrade and 1 house move. His fave food is mysis but He eats live and frozen brine, angel & butterfly mix from SF Bay, cockle in shell and grazes the live rock all day. He likes a nice bristleworm and takes out any fanworms that enter the system.

he's a model citizen, ignores any other fish and my clam. follows me around the tank.

TerraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2009, 03:15 PM   #259
melev
Moved On

This issue of Reefkeeping Magazine features the Copperband Butterfly fish.

Copperband Butterfly fish, Chelmon rostratus
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....-fish-profile-

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 07:36 PM   #260
G. Price
Registered Member

G. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 07:36 PM   #261
G. Price
Registered Member

G. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2009, 06:11 PM   #262
mikenam
Registered Member

anybody ever see death of a cbb by Vortech MP40? Yesterday when feeding my cbb it got stuck on the side of the vortech. i used a long algae scrapper to set it free. Today when i got home i noticed i didn't see it. Normally it is swimming in the front waiting for food. I looked btw all the rocks but couldn't find it. then i looked at the MP40 and there it was. Seemed like a painful way to die.

are those fishes weak swimmers or sumthing? Is the Vortech that strong?

now to watch my aiptasia make a come back.

mikenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2009, 12:22 PM   #263
ryshark
Registered Member

Sorry for the loss, that really sucks. I have two MP40w vortechs and so far no fish have been stuck to it. I would hate for that to happen to my Copperband, but I don't think it will because he is pretty big, over 5". How big was your CBB?

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 05:54 PM   #264
Eric the half-bee
Passer of gasses

I saw someone asked earlier in this thread about keeping more than 1 CBB. I added 2 from the same holding tank from LFS last week and they are behaving so far. One interesting thing I noticed one AM before the lights came on was the pair grasping each other by the "snout" and turning in circles. Neither one was injured. Anybody else witnessed this behavior?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. – Barry Goldwater

Current Tank Info: Semi agressive reef-400 gal.-8 tangs,2 rabbit fish,zebra moray,blue ribbon eel,Janss' pipe,pair bangaiis,wrasse,tomato clown,maroon clown
Eric the half-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 09:39 PM   #265
ryshark
Registered Member

This is a total guess, but it sounds to me like there will be some aggression issues down the road.

Unread 09/08/2009, 10:18 AM   #266
Breathe13stars
Registered Member

I ended up getting a copper banded one time because the guy at my lfs told me i should have no problems that was before i knew how hard they were to keep. He ended up dying on me in about 3 weeks but while he was alive he was a great fish my peppermint shrimp would get on him and clean him only fish ive seen him do that with. Till this day i have no idea what killed him my water was perfect.

Breathe13stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 01:09 PM   #267
ryshark
Registered Member

What was it eating and how often?

Unread 09/08/2009, 02:28 PM   #268
scrapING
Registered Member

Alot die of starvation and some are caught with cynide witch after a few months destroies thier liver and then they die.

scrapING is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2009, 04:09 PM   #269
Breathe13stars
Registered Member

I had him eating brine shrimp i was putting in a little everyday he would eat but he would never eat alot i also had some sea weed and algae in there for him. The last days of his life he didnt move around alot and just basically died there. i did notice red patches around his gills i dont know what caused it.

Breathe13stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2009, 05:39 AM   #270
ryshark
Registered Member

Brine alone is not a healthy diet, that probably caused his immune system to be weak and die. I don't know of any which eat seaweed, they are carnivores. Some people have luck with live blackworms or bloodworms to get them to start eating other stuff besides brine.

Unread 09/14/2009, 02:09 PM   #271
Dodge250
Registered Member

iceemn360 i need to ask some questions about your amazing tank I have a rose anemone which by no means looks as happy as yours but mines still happy I just want to know how do u keep your sand so clean how do u keep your anemone so happy what type of lighting do you have how come your threadfin doesn't kill any corals and how come my anemone found a spot at the bottom of the tank and it's mouth keeps on opening huge but it still shows long puffy tentecles if u can answer any of these questions I would be greatful Sorry it's so long

Unread 09/14/2009, 02:11 PM   #272
Dodge250
Registered Member

Oh and also how many times do you feed your nem and what do you feed it

Unread 09/14/2009, 03:34 PM   #273
kellon16
Registered Member

hey how long did it take your cbb to start eating? or did they eat right away my salfin beat mine up a little i put him in yesterday but i got the salfin out and put him in the sump. what are my chances? he was eating for a month straight at the lfs with no problems so i thought he was a good buy

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
kellon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 06:46 PM   #274
ryshark
Registered Member

I would go buy some live blackworms, mine loves those. I would also pick up some PE mysis and Hikari mysis and try those. Figure out what it will eat. If those don't work you can try a clam from the grocery store. Live wiggly blackworms are awesome and cheap if you can find a lfs which sells them.
To answer your first question, mine started eating as soon as I added live blackworms and PE mysis. The first few days it did not eat the brine, regular mysis or bloodworms. Now it eats all of those.

Unread 09/14/2009, 07:42 PM   #275
kellon16
Registered Member

alright thank i dont think i have seen any live black workms, i have been feeding rods food and mycis and cyclopes he has been eying all of it but still hast touched it

Current Tank Info: 220 reef
kellon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper banded butterfly