Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2013, 01:44 PM   #1
aqua_dog
Registered Member

purple tang!

ever since i started in the hobby a goal of mine was to have a purple tang. well, my tank has been up for a while now and i found a purple tang at my LFS for a steal. it was a trade in from a friend of the owners tank so its been in captivity for a while. the fish is amazing and for the price i couldn't pass. I'm a bit nervous now that i have him. I've done some research throughout the time I've started the tank and it seems like they are relatively simple to care for. i have him in my 125 with no other tangs at all, just a couple clowns and a blue jaw trigger and a bunch of coral. anything special i should pay attention to? tips?tricks? advice?..a good price as he may have been but it was still a good chunk of change.

aqua_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 02:01 PM   #2
ryan_
Yeah...Don't touch that.

Nice fish! Consider upgrading your tank soon though. IIRC they require a minimum of 100-125g...forgive me if I'm wrong. As long as you have an open aquascape with plenty of room to swim and hide, you should be good for a little while. Good luck telling her you need an upgrade because of a fish...

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!
ryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 02:08 PM   #3
aqua_dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ View Post
Nice fish! Consider upgrading your tank soon though. IIRC they require a minimum of 100-125g...forgive me if I'm wrong. As long as you have an open aquascape with plenty of room to swim and hide, you should be good for a little while. Good luck telling her you need an upgrade because of a fish...
yea i do have a 125 gal. its pretty open too. he was acclimated for a good amount of time so i really hope he does well.

Unread 12/29/2013, 02:57 PM   #4
EllieSuz
Premium Member

Once he gets comfy, will you share a picture of him?

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 03:38 PM   #5
aqua_dog
Registered Member

Absolutely1

Unread 12/29/2013, 04:27 PM   #6
titoav15
Registered Member

I love purple tangs, congrats!!

Current Tank Info: 55g Reef & currently working on a frag tank
titoav15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 05:36 PM   #7
ReeferSteve78
Registered Member

Purple tang

Here's my purple tang. One of my favorite fish by far. iPhone pics are no good here lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.5 KB, 136 views)

Current Tank Info: 180gal with a 55gal sump/refugium 20gal long qt and a wife haha
ReeferSteve78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Reef1ruler
Registered Member

The tangs are very delicate fish,they get stressed very easily,they also tend to pick up disease easily,my point is,did you quarantine him at all.but he is a beautiful fish though,hope he does well.

Reef1ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 06:35 PM   #9
pascal32
Registered Member

I gifted mine to a friends tank as my new tank is too small, gorgeous fish. give him clean water, space, food, and an environment free of similar tangs and all will be well!

Unread 12/29/2013, 06:35 PM   #10
aqua_dog
Registered Member

I did not quarantine him when I got him. Did I screw up? They never mentioned to do so. Nice fish reefersteve!

Unread 12/29/2013, 06:36 PM   #11
aqua_dog
Registered Member

Yea I got some dry nori from the lfs though he does not seem interested right now

Unread 12/29/2013, 07:06 PM   #12
007rick
Registered Member

Too late for the quarantine... as for what to do? Do as little possible for the next few days just to let him settle in... Just going up to the glass repetitively to look at him can spook him. Don't worry about food yet, he'll start to graze when he is comfortable enough

007rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 07:09 PM   #13
terrypercula
Registered Member

Purple tang is up there for me as one of my favorites.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2013, 11:12 PM   #14
sean obergfell
Registered Member

I have had mine for about 7 years..... He is a beauty!!!

Unread 12/31/2013, 12:38 AM   #15
das75
Registered Member

Was one of my first fish when started 12 years back. Made it through a plane ride from the coast, survived NH3 spikes in the QT, few years in a 75G, move across town, tank ick outbreak years ago and still going strong in my current tank.

Pretty laid back but have seen being little hostile so never tried adding a Yellow Tang.

Likes the nori, flake and pellets but goes crazy for mysis.

Current Tank Info: 145g Starfire display (mixed reef) w/75g basement sump & 20g refugium, Barracuda return, Dart w/OM 4way CL, AI Hydras and Director.
das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 07:38 AM   #16
pascal32
Registered Member

for feeding consider the seaweed extreme pellets from Hikari. Randy at ARC turned me on to them - fish love them! I used to feed sheets of seaweed, just never liked the clip that goes with them. with these I can have the feeder dispense!

Unread 12/31/2013, 09:56 AM   #17
aqua_dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by das75 View Post
Was one of my first fish when started 12 years back. Made it through a plane ride from the coast, survived NH3 spikes in the QT, few years in a 75G, move across town, tank ick outbreak years ago and still going strong in my current tank.

Pretty laid back but have seen being little hostile so never tried adding a Yellow Tang.

Likes the nori, flake and pellets but goes crazy for mysis.
Man it sounds like he survived hell! Haha

Unread 12/31/2013, 09:57 AM   #18
aqua_dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
for feeding consider the seaweed extreme pellets from Hikari. Randy at ARC turned me on to them - fish love them! I used to feed sheets of seaweed, just never liked the clip that goes with them. with these I can have the feeder dispense!
Where do you get these? Just at the local lfs?

Unread 12/31/2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Firedog1962
Registered Member

I had 2 purples. I rescued 1 that I gave to G at ABC He is doing great and is an awesome fish. I have one in my 180 fish only and is one of my favorites. Good luck

Firedog1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Jarrok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I grabbed a bag of those at ABC 2 this weekend. So far so good.

Current Tank Info: 150G tall, 40ishG sump/fuge, eshopps psk200 skimmer, Ocean Revive Arctic S026 LED's x2
Jarrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2014, 11:56 PM   #21
LKemp712
Registered Member

I just bought a purple, he is beautiful. Good luck

LKemp712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 09:48 AM   #22
saltyscotsman
Registered Member

my purple gets along fine with a yellow and a sail fin tang for about a year now

saltyscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 07:41 PM   #23
Ellery
Registered Member

I've had mine for 15 years so far (knock on wood) The only issue I had was a slight nutritional deficiency in the beginning which made his dorsal fin kinda recede and the tail of my Hippo tang got deformed. It all got better once I switched to Spectrum pellets but neither dorsal or tail fins grew back but they are both healthy, fat and colorful.

Current Tank Info: 125G SPS Reef+ 120G + 80 Shallow Frag + 40B LPS/Anemone + 12g Clam + 20L Nano + (30&40g)sumps
Ellery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Sir Edward
Registered Member

Purple Tangs are a great addition to a tank, when healthy, brilliant color. I have had mine for 6 years, I got mine when I started up my 220. Along with a yellow tang, blue hippo tang, Kole tang, foxface, a mandarin, flame angel, a paired set of clowns and cardinals. Never had any problems with his tank mates. Only issue, once mine settled in, I have not been able to add other fish, very dominate fish (least mine is), though I got lucky once, I added a 4" Gold Spotted Rabbitfish and got away with it. I think as long as you maintain good tank husbandry, and water quality. Yours will do great. I feed my fish twice a day with frozen brine shrimp, and krill. I also feed them Nori. Never had luck with those clips. I use a 1" pvc tube, wrap the nori around it with 2 rubber bands. Keeps the fish busy for about 15 minutes ripping it off the tube.

Current Tank Info: 220 reef tank, with 2 29gal sumps
Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 12:42 PM   #25
adnanosmani
Registered Member

Ilove your purple tang it also has a fun personality, congratulation and happy keeping!

adnanosmani is offline   Reply With Quote