Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2019, 10:14 PM   #1
stevediaz1
Registered Member

Help needed diy tank build glass thickness? Eurobraced or not?

I’m in need of help I’m out sourcing a tank build 48x30x20 (longxwidexhigh) what glass thickness should I get?tempered glass or not what’s the difference in tempered glass and not tempered? What’s the proper way to join/silicon glass surfaces to each other I’m buying the glass from a “glass guy” he doesn’t work in aquariums build but has access to starfire glass ultra clear and is giving me a deal I’ve seen other people build these aquariums with no problems so I’m in need of some advice please

Ps. I know I should be playing it safe and buy a aquarium from a reputible company but I’m trying to do a diy system so any and all help/advice will be appreciated

stevediaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 11:13 AM   #2
oreo57
Registered Member

Start here ... use at least 3.8 for a safety factor.
https://www.easycalculation.com/meas...calculator.php

10mm glass is recommended for free standing...
not sure how they compensate for the required difference between side glass and bottom though..
bottom glass tends to need to be stronger (thicker) than side glass
Quote:
The thickness of the bottom glass is covered by a set of specific calculations (thicker), but does not cover an aquarium which has a bottom glass that is well supported from below the aquarium in an even uniform manner. The surface must be very level. On very large aquariums this can be difficult to achieve and self-leveling filler may be needed between the polystyrene and the base. This should be applied just prior to fitting the aquarium to the base so that the aquarium's weight levels out imperfections. Significant time must be allowed for the filler to fully cure before the aquarium is filled. If the bottom glass is only to be supported by all four edges then use the special set of calculations. The same thickness glass can be used on a uniformly supported bottom as well and this will significantly improve the safety factor. If the aquarium is to be supported from below in a uniform distributed manor, then the same thickness glass that is used for the largest side panel may be used. To do so requires the supporting base to support part of the load so therefore it must be VERY strong."
Tempered glass can be downsized a bit..it's stronger How much???
Will completely shatter if damaged.
https://www.aquariacentral.com/forum....203106/page-2

Also there is no drilling allowed since tempered glass is under both tension and compression.
Why it shatters into tiny cubes if "nicked"

Most relegate it to only bottom glass only. (ARGUABLE)
If the bottom gets nicked the water dump is catastrophic in nature unlike a simple crack..

Bracing can reduce the required thickness
Like a center brace makes your 48x30x20 tank to act more like 2 24x30x20 tanks YMMV.
Wouldn't include bottom unless equiv. braced..

Starfire is, so I've been told, slightly softer than reg. glass so for that and cost most would use it for viewing panes only..

Shows bottom thickness..
https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/gen...calculator.xls

10mm for sides 12mm for bottom..
high safety factor and based on "depth" of 508mm 20"

There are a lot of vids on assembly instructions and recommended silicone.
Floating the bottom is usually recommended.

Last edited by oreo57; 10/15/2019 at 11:29 AM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 04:31 PM   #3
stevediaz1
Registered Member

I’m thinking of using 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch glass not sure yet
but let’s say I use 1/2 inch glass for the 4 side viewing glass panels I should use 3/4 for the bottom right?
Also wanted to ask if you could simplify you answer please excuse me
but for instance if I place the 3/4 inch bottom glass Down on a table where do I place (silicone)
the side viewing panels on the top surface of the bottom glass
or on the side surface?

stevediaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 06:17 PM   #4
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevediaz1 View Post
I’m thinking of using 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch glass not sure yet
but let’s say I use 1/2 inch glass for the 4 side viewing glass panels I should use 3/4 for the bottom right?
Also wanted to ask if you could simplify you answer please excuse me
but for instance if I place the 3/4 inch bottom glass Down on a table where do I place (silicone)
the side viewing panels on the top surface of the bottom glass
or on the side surface?
Attach the sides to the side of the bottom..
you float the bottom inside the side /front "box" so to speak.

Putting the sides on top of the bottom is OK for small tanks I guess..
Instructions..
https://www.thesprucepets.com/diy-gl...-plans-2924662

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VhiH3Ou0w

There re little tricks like masking the glass to remove excess silicone for a neater appearance..
and don't "squish" the joints too much

Last edited by oreo57; 10/16/2019 at 06:52 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 11:18 AM   #5
cedwards04
Registered Member

I'm not aquarium builder, but for what its worth my innovative marine rimless tank is 48x24x20 (length, width, height) and it is 15mm glass which would be roughly 9/16.

You could maybe get away with 1/2" if it were eurobraced. Definitely wouldn't trust 3/8's even braced.

cedwards04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 09:54 AM   #6
bblumberg
Registered Member

There is also this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VhiH3Ou0w There is a link to his web site and detailed instructions for how to build a tank.

For about $20 or so, you can get a glass list to give to the glass shop with precise sizes. I ordered the plans for a 60g cube but never got around to building it.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 05:21 PM   #7
MarAquatic
Registered Member

I would go 1/2 on it flat polish

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 05:47 PM   #8
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Momentive rtv 103 or 108 for silicon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk