Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2018, 03:40 PM   #1
neoh74
Registered Member

Unhappy Tank Crash

So in preparation for my solar install I purchased a generator to supply power to my 100gal tank. Pwer was only supposed to be off for 4-8 hours. Long story short, 36 hours later we got power back. During the outage, unbenounced to me, the electrition decided to plug his tools into my generator popping the breaker and not telling me. First day my yellow eye kole tang turned pale, then flame angel disappeared... Second day i pulled out my dead kole tang and noticed my purple psudochromi was missing. At this point i started setting back up my hospital tank and transplanting corals. Today female clown went belly up and the male is hiding in the rocks. All I have left is a 3 striped damsel now hiding and a pink spotted goby. This really sucks and i am at a loss for words. The time and effort I took to make sure my tank stayed flawless was for nothing due a jasckarse! Strange how one little thing sent a whole tank crashinto motion...

2 Viparspectra 165w LEDs
Hydor Smart Wave
neoh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh74 View Post
So in preparation for my solar install I purchased a generator to supply power to my 100gal tank. Pwer was only supposed to be off for 4-8 hours. Long story short, 36 hours later we got power back. During the outage, unbenounced to me, the electrition decided to plug his tools into my generator popping the breaker and not telling me. First day my yellow eye kole tang turned pale, then flame angel disappeared... Second day i pulled out my dead kole tang and noticed my purple psudochromi was missing. At this point i started setting back up my hospital tank and transplanting corals. Today female clown went belly up and the male is hiding in the rocks. All I have left is a 3 striped damsel now hiding and a pink spotted goby. This really sucks and i am at a loss for words. The time and effort I took to make sure my tank stayed flawless was for nothing due a jasckarse! Strange how one little thing sent a whole tank crashinto motion...
You had the right idea and still unfortunate circumstance.. sorry for your losses.. hopefully all works out for ya.. Dam electrition

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 03:52 PM   #3
neoh74
Registered Member

Their insurance will pay for it, most definitely... going to pick up a 125 gallon half circle tank today. Wish I could talk the wife into the 250 gallon...

2 Viparspectra 165w LEDs
Hydor Smart Wave
Unread 10/31/2018, 03:59 PM   #4
jlmawp
Registered Member

Ask for forgiveness, not permission

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 10:07 AM   #5
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I know I harp about this, so I'm sorry in advance if anyone is tired of hearing about it:

This is why all my tanks have inexpensive, battery-operated emergency air pumps. Salt water tanks get two, one on each side. For a six foot tank I'd use three. These cost about $14 each, excluding batteries, and they will aerate the water for 24 hours with good batteries.

They plug into the outlet, and when power shuts off they come on. Run the air line with a air stone to the bottom of the tank, hide it with rock work, and you're good to go.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 02:36 PM   #6
neoh74
Registered Member

WVfishguy where can I get one of these?

2 Viparspectra 165w LEDs
Hydor Smart Wave
Unread 11/01/2018, 03:08 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

You can get them on Amazon. One like this will turn on automatically when the power source it’s plugged into looses power. You need to make sure to check the batteries every so often though.
https://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-Batte...dp/B00DV26CSI/

Terribly sorry for your losses.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 03:09 PM   #8
alton
Registered Member

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/silen...-up-sab11.html
I think this is what WV was talking about

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 08:21 AM   #9
mrg02d
Registered Member

Has anyone used, successfully, the eco tech backup with a vortech before? I’ve got one but haven’t had the misfortune of needing it yet.

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 12:39 PM   #10
Wonton Soup
Registered Member

I must have missed the part where you gave the electrician a long, thorough explanation about the generator being the lifeline to your expensive aquarium and how important it is that he use his own generator instead of yours or that if he were to use your generator he make sure the breaker doesn't blow and he comes to check with you when he's finished working...

I promise you won't see a penny from their insurance.

Wonton Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 05:00 PM   #11
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/silen...-up-sab11.html
I think this is what WV was talking about
This is EXACTLY what I use. I have several other brands, they are all about the same, but this is the latest I've purchased.

Since I have a fish room with several tanks, I have these things laying around all over the place. Plus, when I transport fish/inverts I use connected to an airstone in a styrofoam-lined 6 gal. bucket. Be sure to have extra batteries on hand.

You'd be shocked at how long critters stay healthy in insulated buckets with aerators.

Unread 11/05/2018, 06:16 PM   #12
outssider
Registered Member

you'd also be shocked at how long they'll run off of one set of batteries......

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 12:59 AM   #13
neoh74
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

2 Viparspectra 165w LEDs
Hydor Smart Wave
Unread 11/11/2018, 09:03 PM   #14
birdfish
Premium Member

I can't imagine an electrician so unprofessional. Such an act would get you fired or never called back in most of the places I worked. It is inexcusable to plug in without permission if not your own power source.

I have for decades used the Hagen brand battery powered air-pumps for emergencies, for moving fish, and when collecting. They are dirt cheap and great. Last unbelievably long on the 2 "D" methinks batteries. But of course you have to be there to setup in an emergency. Also when not using take the batteries out it will corrode the main contact.

birdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:22 AM   #15
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfish View Post
I can't imagine an electrician so unprofessional. I have for decades used the Hagen brand battery powered air-pumps for emergencies, for moving fish, and when collecting. They are dirt cheap and great. Last unbelievably long on the 2 "D" methinks batteries. But of course you have to be there to setup in an emergency. Also when not using take the batteries out it will corrode the main contact.
NO! You keep them hooked up 24/7. Sure, check them once in a while, and keep them dry, but I have them in my fish room - hundreds of gallons of water high humidity, and they do not corrode. Rather pointless to not have them set up to come on if you're not at home.

Unread 11/13/2018, 06:24 AM   #16
Grayhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton Soup View Post
I must have missed the part where you gave the electrician a long, thorough explanation about the generator being the lifeline to your expensive aquarium and how important it is that he use his own generator instead of yours or that if he were to use your generator he make sure the breaker doesn't blow and he comes to check with you when he's finished working...

I promise you won't see a penny from their insurance.
I preach to anyone doing anything that can effect my tank. Bug man, electrician, ect..
Most times they see no value in what we have. Oh, it's just a box of fish. They have no clue that you can easily have 10-20 k tied up in equipment and livestock. My electrician knows what my system is and how important it is to me. Most times when a vendor comes, and they perform work that can effect my tank, I give them a quick tour and let them see what is involved with it. Usually they fully understand.

2- MP 40, 1- Vectra M1 return pump, Build thread below
http:
Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote