Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2012, 07:57 PM   #51
jbfloor
Registered Member

Here's the first set of pictures with the new toy. Quite an improvement over our $50 camera of before:

Torch coral before and after diner. Coral looks fat an happy after devouring a brine shrimp.

Acan munching on some food with a Nassarius on the prowl.

Candy Cane coral with a green mushroom in the front.

One of the clownfish in the QT tank.

Unread 11/20/2012, 11:39 AM   #52
Knd107
Registered Member

Hey, looking good!

I was looking at the typhon controller for my LED fixture. How is it working out for you? Was it easy to install?

Thanks,

Knd107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 11:59 AM   #53
jbfloor
Registered Member

It is pretty much plug and play with the dimmable kit I got from RapidLed using 'Mean Well ELN-60-27P' drivers. Just hook the correct output of the controller to the correct input of the driver and you're good to go.

Now that I have used it for a couple of weeks, I do wish it had some minor changes to the programming. My LED's don't come on until the controller hits 11%, so I'd like the unit to start there instead of at 0%. I'd also like better control over the fade-in and fade-out. I don't mind a quick fade-in, but I'd like it to have a fade-out curve at night where I can go down quickly to 15% or so and stay there for a while before switching to moonlights only. I know I can program a new Arduino sketch if i want to and some day I may reprogram the entire unit to incorporate these changes.

Unread 11/20/2012, 04:00 PM   #54
danil
Registered Member

Great build! I'm building my new 180g myself. I would treat QT for Ich... better be save then sorry. Clownfish have good resistance to Ich and those few specks you saw could be Ich and you don't want Ich get to your main system. Just think you will release these clowns in your display then few other 'hardy' fish like chromies then powder blue tang goes in and boom... Ich. Being in that situation before I will treat all fish in QT.

danil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 06:52 PM   #55
jbfloor
Registered Member

More toys!

The Tunze 7096 controller and two 6095's came in today.

The main reason for buying this unit is the automatic night-mode (all pumps at 30%) and the feed button. And of course the flexibility of the controllable pumps. I will play a bit with the settings with the goal being a slow rolling wave that will completely reverse the direction of the water every 10 seconds or so.

@danil, Thanks and you make a good point. However, I really prefer not to treat and stress unless I have to. I went to the LFS to look at the remaining clownfish (same spawn as mine) and none of them has shown any signs in the last week. Mine are eating like crazy and are growing quite quickly. I will keep a close eye on them.. If there is Ich, I should easily be able to detect the second cycle and treat then. The QT is kept at 78F, so if there is another cycle, it should kick in any moment.

Unread 11/28/2012, 02:43 PM   #56
jbfloor
Registered Member

More goodies!

Will post pictures once they are settled in.

Unread 11/28/2012, 05:02 PM   #57
jbfloor
Registered Member

The clownfish and watchman goby have made their transition to the DT.

This to make room for the new inhabitants of the QT

Two tank-bred Banggai Cardinals. Ever since I saw one of these on the cover of 'The New Marine Aquarium' by M.Paletta, I wanted this fish if I ever had a saltwater tank. I like how their odd shape contrast with every other fish in the tank.

A Red Lip Blenny (which my wife picked out because "it has the cutest face ever!) and a, what should have been, Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse. Unfortunately LiveAquaria screwed up the order and they sent me a Yellow Banded Pygmy Wrasse instead, which looks rather dull.

For invertebrates I added two Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Four Peppermint Shrimp

and finally six Scarlet Hermit crab

Last edited by jbfloor; 11/28/2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling
jbfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2012, 05:33 PM   #58
Ryand63
Registered Member

Gorgeous tank! I too hope to have almost those same dimensions in the future! Keep up the great work!

Unread 11/28/2012, 06:21 PM   #59
Bernie21
Registered Member

Nice build! Im eager to see how you stock your tank w such a thorough build. Good Luck.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2012, 11:49 PM   #60
jbfloor
Registered Member

There is a famous quote by Helmuth von Moltke that I like to use in the workplace, which goes: "No plan survives contact with the enemy.". This also goes for my careful planning of this tank.

This is not to say that all my planning was wasted, but I did have to make a couple of adjustments that I will lay out so others can learn from this:

The combination of my LED's being only 6" above the water, the 80 degree lenses and water surface movement turned my tank into a disco. The corals did not seem to mind, but I didn't want to risk epileptic seizures every time I wanted to look at the tank. Earlier this week I decided to take the lenses off. The tank is now much more consistent in color (similar to a cloudy day). I lost some overall intensity, but I can always add a rail of LED's if I have to.

Also, the Tunze pumps do not have a suction cup, which means that I cannot place them exactly where I want them, because I cannot reach that area on the outside to place the magnet.

@Ryand63
Quote:
Gorgeous tank! I too hope to have almost those same dimensions in the future! Keep up the great work!
Thanks. I am very happy with the dimensions of the tank. It being shallow makes it very easy to work in, the 24" of depth is great and the 72" length allows for enough hiding places for all fish to make their own.

@Bernie21
Quote:
Nice build! Im eager to see how you stock your tank w such a thorough build. Good Luck.
Here's what I am thinking:

Already have:
  • 1x Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 2x Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1x Red Lip Blenny
  • 1x Pygmy Wrasse
  • 2x Banggai Cardinal
Candidates for future stock:
  • 3x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (1M,2F) and/or
  • 3x Lyretail Anthias (1M,2F)
  • 1x Kole Tang
  • 1x Blue Tang
  • 1x Copperband
  • 1x Mandarin
  • 1x Coral Beauty
  • 1x Flame Angel
  • 1x Royal Gramma
Taking them all would probably overload the tank, so I have some hard decisions to make.

Unread 11/29/2012, 01:14 AM   #61
jgalvin
Registered Member

Great build, tank is looking very nice. If you don't mind me asking which website did you order the tank from? Just in case i get the urge to go bigger in the future.

jgalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2012, 01:55 AM   #62
Reefnut2010
Registered Member

JB, you're right, CL came out good and is not visible at all. You just loose a bit of extra flow which could be compensated with a slightly bigger pump. The deal with the lack of space is a pita. Most quality circulation pumps work with magnets, not suction cups. Not having a little space around the tank could prove difficult to say the least. Anyway, technicalities aside, the rockwork looks awesome as do the new additions. Welcome to Reef Addiction !!!

Last edited by Reefnut2010; 11/29/2012 at 02:03 AM.
Reefnut2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2012, 09:25 AM   #63
jbfloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalvin View Post
Great build, tank is looking very nice. If you don't mind me asking which website did you order the tank from? Just in case i get the urge to go bigger in the future.
No problem at all. I ordered from FishTanksDirect.com. The main reason I used this website is that they offer free shipping on anything over $150, including tanks and stands. On a tank this size it probably saved me about $700. I'm sure you can custom order, because the site is just a reseller for DSA and DSA will build you whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefnut2010 View Post
JB, you're right, CL came out good and is not visible at all. You just loose a bit of extra flow which could be compensated with a slightly bigger pump. The deal with the lack of space is a pita. Most quality circulation pumps work with magnets, not suction cups. Not having a little space around the tank could prove difficult to say the least. Anyway, technicalities aside, the rockwork looks awesome as do the new additions. Welcome to Reef Addiction !!!
Yes, the lack of space is annoying. If I ever move I will think hard about a fishroom of some sorts. Having 72"x24" to work with is pretty awesome though, so I am glad I went with the bigger size. I just realized I can use a metal strip to hold on to the outer magnet so I can reach to where I need to be.. See? You just have to get creative.

Unread 11/30/2012, 12:33 AM   #64
jbfloor
Registered Member

Can anyone identify this coral for me?

It was an accidental addition to the shipment that I did not order. It looks a bit like the Merulina from this page, but I am not sure.

Unread 12/11/2012, 06:51 PM   #65
jbfloor
Registered Member

All fish made it to the DT, but unfortunately one of the Cardinals has died. I could not get it to eat no matter what food I offered. The other cardinal eats till its belly almost pops and all other fish are happy. Just one of those things I guess.

I have read that people say Cardinals are boring, but this one likes to be at the front of the tank and chases after everything it believes is food. At night he patrols the tank under the actinics.

Here's the Red Lip Blenny posing for his close-up. He is a little more aggressive than I had hoped. One Red Mushroom coral has (probably) become victim to his cravings and he has nipped at some Zoa's, though he's left them alone since. By the way, herbivore my ***, he definitely prefers frozen food over algae.

Here's Mr. President getting a cleaning from the cleaner shrimp.. What a life!

I have also started feeding my corals regularly. Like everything else in the tank they are hungry little critters. Here's a picture of the Neon Moon Coral before and after putting a little bit of Coral Frenzy in the water.

I increased the flow through the sump by 150% (400->600gph) by replacing the pump. This should allow the Chaeto to get more nutrients. It was slowly dying and my guess is it's because of lack of flow. Also, the increased flow through the sump seems to make the skimmer work a little better.

Unread 12/13/2012, 09:29 PM   #66
jbfloor
Registered Member

Went on a Coral shopping date with the wife yesterday. Was a lot of fun looking at all the different tanks and letting her pick her favorites.

Unexpected bonus on the Birdsnest. Looks to me like a Green Bubble Tip Anemone is hitchhiking on the plug! I wonder if I should cut the birdsnest and put it on a separate plug or leave them alone to acclimate.. Any suggestions?

And the Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse is getting bold. After being in hiding for a number of days he finally ventured out to check out his new home. Funny looking guy he is.

I am a little concerned about all my shrimp that have mysteriously disappeared.. I'm hoping that they are molting and they will reappear in a day or two. I checked for Copper just in case and the tank is perfectly clean with good parameters.

Unread 12/13/2012, 10:10 PM   #67
biocube14g
Registered Member

cut the birdsnest right above the bleached spot.....the mystery coral will sting the birdsnest no matter what it is, just like it is currently doing.......id glue to birdsnest onto the rocks or a new frag plug or rock rubble and keep an eye on the hopefully gbta....

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28 Nano Cube, 14k Metal Halides, UV Sterilizer, HOB Protein Skimmer, 30 Lbs LR Main display; 30 Lbs rubble in sump, 10 Gallon Sump, 2 Hydor Koralia 240's, RIO 2100 Return Pump
biocube14g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2012, 11:32 PM   #68
Acronic
The Fifth Master

That is a majano anemone at the base of the birds nest. A pest. Removal is a good idea.

Ur wife is a smart gal.

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2012, 11:32 PM   #69
Acronic
The Fifth Master

2 scoops of fun in todays double post!

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2012, 11:40 PM   #70
jbfloor
Registered Member

I think you're right.. I didn't know they looked like this. Good thing I posted this picture and thanks for letting me know. I'll cut the Birds Nest tomorrow and throw away this plug with the Majano.

Unread 12/16/2012, 08:15 PM   #71
jbfloor
Registered Member

The Majano anemone is no more.

It's been four days now and the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp are nowhere to be found. I have no clue as to what happened to them. Two of the four peppermint shrimp are still alive, but are hiding deep inside the rocks and only come out sporadically. It's as if something had been hunting them...

Unread 12/17/2012, 02:05 PM   #72
scuzy
Registered Member

Did you check your water params?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2012, 02:16 PM   #73
jbfloor
Registered Member

Yes.

PH 8.0
Salinity: 1.024
DKH: 8
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PO4: 0
CA2: 600
Cu: 0

I started dosing Alkalinity buffer because it kept dropping down to 6 and I want my PH to be a little higher. Calcium is very high, possibly because of the salt mix I used when I first filled the tank (Kent Marine Salt mix). I have since switched to Reef Crystals.

I have read on other forums about Red Lip Blennies being aggressive and territorial and at least one person reported their Blenny killing one of their shrimp. The Cleaner shrimp were fairly small (1.5"), so it is possible they were attacked.

One location I have not checked yet is the overflow. Mainly because it is very hard to reach. It is possible they climbed in and can't get out. I still need to put a screen over it.

Unread 12/21/2012, 06:53 PM   #74
jbfloor
Registered Member

New additions:

Little Kenya tree hitchhiking on a Candy Cane.

I moved the Orange/Red Monti Cap to the top of the tank and immediately it started doing a lot better. Good polyp extension and I have heard that this coral will turn pink under good lighting. This picture also shows the first signs of Coralline. The white fuzz is something that popped up when I started heavier feeding (after the new fish went in the tank). I expect this to disappear once the tank finds its new equillibrium.

Unread 01/04/2013, 01:03 AM   #75
jbfloor
Registered Member

Been a while, but here's another update.

Even though I "only" have a total of 72 LED's over the tank, I bleached/faded the crap out of my corals. I went all the way down from 90% for ten hours to 50% for 9 hours (including 2 hour fade in and out). The color is returning slowly and the corals seem much happier now.

During the Holidays, I took full advantage of the BOGO sale at Pacific East Aquaculture and last week received a number of gorgeous Acans:

And I am going for round two with the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp.. If these disappear like the previous two, that'll be an expensive lesson learned.. I still have no idea what happened to them. The peppermint shrimp are happy as can be and one of them is even carrying eggs.

This morning I received a new batch of fish from Vivid Aquariums that I will post pictures of soon. This batch has a Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma and three McCosker's flasher wrasse.

Finally I added a tiny Randall's pistol shrimp to keep the watchman goby company. I swear I saw them pair up after mere minutes of the shrimp entering the main tank.