Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2018, 07:28 PM   #1
incloud
Registered Member

Dosing Setup Help

Hey guys, I just got a BRS starter kit for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and have no idea how to get set up. It seems like you use the entire package for 1 gallon but doesn't seem right. And the calculator on BRS shows extremely high dosing for my load. 188ml seems a bit extreme for lightly stocked tank. Also in videos they state that a gallon can last up to a year. Not at 188ml a day. I'm lost somewhere and would really appreciate some insight from those familiar with dosing. I have the BRS kit and a Jebao dosing pump. Thanks!

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 08:22 PM   #2
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
Hey guys, I just got a BRS starter kit for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and have no idea how to get set up. It seems like you use the entire package for 1 gallon but doesn't seem right. And the calculator on BRS shows extremely high dosing for my load. 188ml seems a bit extreme for lightly stocked tank. Also in videos they state that a gallon can last up to a year. Not at 188ml a day. I'm lost somewhere and would really appreciate some insight from those familiar with dosing. I have the BRS kit and a Jebao dosing pump. Thanks!

BRS online support would be my first stop- straight from the horses mouth, and no tweaks that others have used to adapt it to their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 08:33 PM   #3
incloud
Registered Member

Sounds like a good plan. I'll shout out tomorrow. Thanks!

Unread 04/08/2018, 09:32 PM   #4
LQT
Registered Member

BRS 2 part starter kit mixing instructions...

When you are ready, use the BRS Reef Calculator to know exactly how much to dose!

BRS Calcium Liquid Solution - Fill one of the 1-gallon mixing jugs 4/5 full of RO/DI or distilled water and then add the entire contents of 1 pouch into the container. Secure the cap on the container and shake it for about 10 seconds to help start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI or distilled water. Give the container a few more shakes and then let it sit until all the salts have dissolved before use.

BRS Soda Ash Liquid Alkalinity - Fill one of the 1-gallon mixing jugs 4/5 full of RO/DI or distilled water and then add the entire contents of 1 pouch into the container. Secure the cap on the container and shake it for about 10 seconds to help start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI or distilled water. Give the container a few more shakes and then let it sit until all the salts have fully dissolved before use.

BRS Magnesium Mix Solution - Fill one of the 1-gallon mixing jugs 1/2 full of RO/DI or distilled water and then add the entire contents of the package into the container. Secure the cap on the container and shake it for about 10 seconds to help start the dissolving process. Remove the cap and fill the container the rest of the way with RO/DI or distilled water. Give the container a few more shakes and then let it sit until all the salts have fully dissolved before use.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 10:20 PM   #5
incloud
Registered Member

I read the instructions and thought it was strange that the packages made 1 gallon. Seems like a lot of mix. And the calculation I came up with would use a gallon in about 2 days. I can't imagine my tank with 2 fish, an RBTA and a Goniopora taking that much so I'm missing something.

Unread 04/08/2018, 10:38 PM   #6
LQT
Registered Member

What size tank do you have and what’s your Alk consumption?

Unread 04/08/2018, 10:43 PM   #7
incloud
Registered Member

65 display. 170 sump. 235 total system. Alk reads 9.8

Unread 04/08/2018, 10:56 PM   #8
LQT
Registered Member

what is your daily drop in Alkalinity? Right now it’s at 9.8. Do you know what it will be tomorrow at this time without supplementation?

Unread 04/09/2018, 04:30 AM   #9
incloud
Registered Member

I'm just starting and haven't supplemented. First test last night was 9.8 alk. So I presume by your comment that after my next test tonight the difference is the value that my tank uses and needs replenishing. If that's correct, I do believe that clears things up a lot. I have a tendency to way over think things.

Tags
dosing