Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Can marine specimins transmit COVID19
Yes 0 0%
No 2 33.33%
I don't know 1 16.67%
This poll is Tiger King 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2020, 09:33 PM   #1
five.five-six
Registered Member

can salt water carry COVID19?

can saltwater animals carry and transmit COVID19? I think no but I really don't know.

Any ideas?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 10:29 PM   #2
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Didn’t think about it. Seems unlikely with no host, but nice wet warm environment might mean day it can survive in the water?!?!? Maybe IDK. Any doctors want to chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamSabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 10:44 PM   #3
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSabina View Post
Didn’t think about it. Seems unlikely with no host, but nice wet warm environment might mean day it can survive in the water?!?!? Maybe IDK. Any doctors want to chime in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to trade some stuff and my wife was worried that the water or specimen could be a carrier. I started to tell her she was crazy, luckily almost 2 decades of marriage has taught me to slow my mouth, and I remembered that staff and flesh eating disease do well in tropical salt water.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 12:44 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Fish-Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium) and Vibrio can infect humans.

However, fish have no lungs and therefore I would think it is rather unlikely that they can carry the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Corals and inverts are even less likely.
Also, saltwater has a certain sterilizing effect...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 09:40 AM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
However, fish have no lungs and therefore I would think it is rather unlikely that they can carry the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Corals and inverts are even less likely.
Also, saltwater has a certain sterilizing effect...
+1 The virus itself can probably live in water for a short time, but fish are not suitable hosts.

This is interesting: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...2Fanimals.html

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2020, 02:26 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It seems that cats of all kinds can get infected. There are reported cases of house cats being infected. And a group of tigers in a zoo showed symptoms and at least one tested positive for the virus.
So cat owners should be careful.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/06/2020, 11:29 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

No evidence, however, of transmission. As for fish, not at all likely. A virus is not a living thing in the sense that bacteria are. A virus is a glob of fat surrounding a dna or rna fragment that can self-replicate, and it can cause mayhem, but it's vulnerable to heat (140F) and to soap, especially oldfashioned Dawn. That's why handwashing is one of the most effective way to kill it. Soap breaks up fat and ---you can't say 'kills' for something that's not even a life-form---but ruins a virus, so it washes away in bits that won't reorganize; and heat melts it, with the same effect.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 12:22 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If humans can infect cats and the infected cats actually show symptoms of Covid-19 then I would rather err on the side of caution and - until there is solid evidence to the contrary - assume that sick cats can also infect humans. Anything else would be reckless.
Keep in mind that it was first claimed that the transmission can only be from animal to human but not human to human - a claim that quickly turned out to be false.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk