Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2018, 08:01 AM   #1
donsods
Registered Member

Overflow to Sump

I am considering adding pipefish to my planned SH tank. Because of their propensity to get into overflow boxes and columns, I need a another method of getting water from the top of the tank down to the sump. Have been thinking of putting two 1/4 to 1/2 inch pipes near the surface connected to bulkheads, then covering the pipes with some cylindrical prefilter. No siphon. No food or pipefish in my sump. Thoughts or tips?

donsods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 10:00 AM   #2
benjammin03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsods View Post
I am considering adding pipefish to my planned SH tank. Because of their propensity to get into overflow boxes and columns, I need a another method of getting water from the top of the tank down to the sump. Have been thinking of putting two 1/4 to 1/2 inch pipes near the surface connected to bulkheads, then covering the pipes with some cylindrical prefilter. No siphon. No food or pipefish in my sump. Thoughts or tips?
I was thinking that you could use something like aquamesh to keep your fish out of the overflow, but then you would be blocking all the gunk that you would want to flow into your sump. Maybe the most course mesh could still let that through and block your fish.

benjammin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 03:56 PM   #3
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Craft store mesh.
Assorted colors and sizes.
Deep Blue brand 24x24x24 cube cornerflow photo below.

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 05:50 PM   #4
donsods
Registered Member

Appreciate the pic. My question is to the skimmer portion of the column, not the stand pipe. Don’t have a diagram. Considering 2 bulkhead fitted holes on the back of the talk, piped to the sump. The short pipes protruding into the talk would be covered with a cylindrical pre-filter. No animals going into the pipes/sump. Any thoughts or cautions?

donsods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pipefish, plumbing, prefilters, sump