Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2012, 10:38 AM   #1
jarrett shark
Registered Member

Need a underwater camera help

Well my camera finally went south and after just diving and not having a camera I am in the hunt for a new one
Looking for something good in the price range of $500-1000
Not to fancy since I only dive 2-3 times a year tops at average 40-110' dives
Thanks

jarrett shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 08:53 PM   #2
rite_eh
Registered Member

Still or video? For video nothing beats a GoPro with a flat lens and perhaps a head mount.

rite_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 10:26 PM   #3
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

i use an xz-1 olympus. its really forgiving (easy settings, dont have to be a photog expert). the housing is the PT-050, which is reasonably priced. i paid around 250 shipped for it.

as an out of water camera, its been marvelous. Olympus support has been awesome as well. i might have dropped it (ahem, maybe, not saying i did) once onto a concrete floor. the lense wouldnt retract. Olympus fixed it and sent it back, no charge.

low light performance is out of this world too. if you want to see some of the pics ive taken with it underwater, feel free to peruse.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...016812&page=15

chuck

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 10:00 AM   #4
CuttleKid
Registered Member

I would look into a Sea Life Camera. They are very easy to handle and light weight so it's good for traveling. I started out with one and it was a great learning experience.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 Gallon Cube Peaceful FOWLR
CuttleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Diverjohn
Registered Member

I shoot with a Canon S-90. Its a great camera if you like adjusting manual settings on the go. Works really well for doing some interesting things with pictures while shooting. I use the Canon housing for it to retain almost all the funtionality of the camera. I also use a slave ike lite digital strobe with it and have never had a problem with the housing fogging. Also it allows you to shoot in RAW if you want to make post dive changes. You can also do video with this one. Its still a point and shoot, so you don't have to spend a fortune on housings and domes and what not for larger DSLR's.

Everyone will have their own opinion and I know there are other cameras out there just as good. I have shot with Olympus set ups before and they were great. A lot has to do with personal preference and getting to know the camera.

Diverjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 01:38 PM   #6
FEEDERFISH
Registered Member

Sony TX10 with the Marine Case

Current Tank Info: Custom AO 30 Gal Starphire Display , 2x150DE Hamilton Reefstar - Reeflux 12k / XM 15K, IceCap 430 24" T5-UVL Super Actinic, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 9.5, Closed Loop on a Panworld 40px, Return Mag 12
FEEDERFISH is offline   Reply With Quote