Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2015, 05:27 PM   #126
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Looking back it's amazing how we had a solid plan and it keeps changing. We're looking to change our skimmer as we're concerned it's not the best fit for us. I made a new thread for the discussion.... We need advice! Go to it here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?p=24213893

Also, found out my fuge is 90g, some reason I had 120g in my head... Jeremy was quick to correct me on that one. Lol, I thought it looked smaller than a 120g

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 05:33 PM   #127
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Let's see a pic of that skimmer!!

Corey

Hey Corey, I don't know how to quote multiples on tapatalk, check out my last post on this thread. I have a thread open needing skimmer advice... We're possibly getting rid of this one. Looking for any input from you and everyone else!

Unread 12/28/2015, 06:29 PM   #128
biecacka
Registered Member

I just seen it. As I stated there, the Vecrta won't work with the downdraft skimmer. Maybe Jeff at Lifereef can build you a skimmer and you can incorporate the Vecrta there.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 07:50 PM   #129
tigger2577
Registered Member

I would look at the nyos quantum skimmer line. Reletivy new but a great line of skimmers. I plan on using the 220 for my new 270g build

tigger2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 02:19 PM   #130
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger2577 View Post
I would look at the nyos quantum skimmer line. Reletivy new but a great line of skimmers. I plan on using the 220 for my new 270g build

Thank you for the suggestion.

We decided to go with the lifereef 36 ran by the Vectra L1. Can't wait!

Unread 12/30/2015, 03:26 PM   #131
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.

We decided to go with the lifereef 36 ran by the Vectra L1. Can't wait!
Solid choice on the skimmer, built like tanks.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2016, 07:03 PM   #132
MrsReefK
Registered Member

What's everyone's choice of magnet scrapers? Thought about the tunze, but noticed the inside magnet doesn't float! I want floating. Looking at the "algae free" brand. Need the magnet capable of 1" acrylic.

Unread 01/03/2016, 07:20 PM   #133
tigger2577
Registered Member

Check out. http://mightymagnets.com/

Unread 01/03/2016, 09:42 PM   #134
alphasig293
Registered Member

This looks amazing! I have a 230 that I'm planning on putting in a wall in my basement w/ a 125 sump/fuge, but I only plan on being in this house 5-10 years

alphasig293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2016, 11:07 AM   #135
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Look what came in today!! Advanced acrylics frag tank. Woo hoo!

Unread 01/04/2016, 11:08 AM   #136
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasig293 View Post
This looks amazing! I have a 230 that I'm planning on putting in a wall in my basement w/ a 125 sump/fuge, but I only plan on being in this house 5-10 years

Thanks!! Oh man, and it's hard to sell a house with a custom tank installed. I know the feeling, we have been waiting years for our "final house" to attack this build. You'll get there. You'll be happy when the time is right to do it.

Unread 01/04/2016, 11:09 AM   #137
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks! Looking into these today. We need two of them, one for the back in the fish room, and one for the front panels. Tough pill to swallow spending decent money on magnets. We are well aware they're worth it, just want to be happy with which one we go with!

Unread 01/04/2016, 07:52 PM   #138
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Guys! Guess what??? I can't wait to show you all this... (Ignore the mess. Still renovating and haven't touched the basement at all besides the fish room)

And waaaa la!

From the side.

Opposite side.

Farther back.

Unread 01/04/2016, 08:01 PM   #139
tigger2577
Registered Member

Looking great very nice location for the tank

Unread 01/04/2016, 08:24 PM   #140
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

More pictures!

Put up the fiberglass board above the sink today. Sink can get hooked up now.

Back view of the tank. Fish room has a good echo now. Learned very quickly I am going to struggle reaching the bottom. I knew it'd be an issue, kind of just wished it would miraculously be easier once on the stand

Reverse side of the room, 2 QT's up top, fresh water and mixed water will be in 40g breeder on the right rack.

Last edited by MrsReefK; 01/04/2016 at 08:58 PM.
Unread 01/04/2016, 08:30 PM   #141
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Looking great very nice location for the tank

Thanks! It used to be a bar, unfortunately I lost my "before pictures" when I washed my phone. Quite the transformation.

This room is going to be our family room/Rec room/bar. It's going to be perfect!

Unread 01/04/2016, 08:47 PM   #142
MrReefK
Registered Member

WOW looks great!!! Wish it was mine.... Oh wait it is mine"ours".

One of the parts I've been looking forward to is pluming and it's about to start! Let's see how much I like plumbing by the time I'm done. I ordered a bunch of goodies the other day and no plans for the weekend coming up. I'm still looking for a little advice on the beananimal overflow. I have a post in lighting and filtration section if anyone want to check that out I would appreciate some help. I'm not sure how to post a link to it from my phone or I would.

MrReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2016, 08:57 PM   #143
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReefK View Post
WOW looks great!!! Wish it was mine.... Oh wait it is mine"ours".

One of the parts I've been looking forward to is pluming and it's about to start! Let's see how much I like plumbing by the time I'm done. I ordered a bunch of goodies the other day and no plans for the weekend coming up. I'm still looking for a little advice on the beananimal overflow. I have a post in lighting and filtration section if anyone want to check that out I would appreciate some help. I'm not sure how to post a link to it from my phone or I would.

Here's the link to the bean animal thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2549139

Last edited by MrsReefK; 01/04/2016 at 09:22 PM.
Unread 01/05/2016, 09:27 AM   #144
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Looking great! You'll be sliding the tank in before you know it!

Finally can say it's in place. Now let the plumbing begin.

Unread 01/05/2016, 10:06 AM   #145
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Finally can say it's in place. Now let the plumbing begin.
Oh yea! It goes fast now!!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2016, 11:43 AM   #146
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Terrific progress. Lots of top of the line gear. Very cool that you two are both so into it. My wife likes the tank, but shes not addicted like I am, I am trying to decide if that is a bad thing or a good thing!

Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks! I'm not sure if it's a good thing we are both addicted. I have a feeling if we weren't... A lot less money would be put into it. Or I mean, I would 'claim' things were a lot less than they actually were.

Unread 01/05/2016, 12:43 PM   #147
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Pics of the current frags. While the 40g breeder sits fallow for another 42 days, the corals are still growing! Fish are all in their QT and ready for the 290 DT to be cycled already. Majority of these softies are not going in the big tank. Xenia and GSP, forget about it. I'd love them for the movement, but they are growing over and on everything. Kenya tree has tripled in size the last few months. Frags are all doing wonderfully, my first SPS frags are showing growth! Hoping the new tank supports them just as well.

(Sorry for so much blue, not sure how to change that on an iPhone)

Unread 01/05/2016, 07:23 PM   #148
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Can you guys help me understand GFO? I feel like I should already know this, but I have to start learning at sometime. I've read for a bit on this tonight, lots of good info. One thing I am missing, do you only run GFO when phosphates are raised? Or all of the time?

Unread 01/06/2016, 02:20 PM   #149
dave.m
Registered Member

Most people have a low level of phosphate even at the best of times, so they are always running a GFO reactor. People are usually trying to keep their levels in the 0.01-0.1 ppm range. A tank with no phosphate can be just as unhealthy as a tank with too much, so you need to continue with water tests to see whether you need to run it, or how much you need to run it.

It can be difficult to tell where phosphate is coming from. Sometimes it is coming from the rock or substrate, but this usually disappears gradually over time. More often it is imported as a part of fish and coral foods. Remember, some phosphate is required, just not too much. Too much food can cause increased phosphate levels. Also, to much detritus piling up in the display or sump can cause phosphate levels to rise.

Extra phosphate may also be introduced in a bad batch or cheaper brand of salt. Many people test a new batch of salt water after mixing but before doing water changes.

There are lots of good articles about phosphate in the aquarium. Do a Google on "phosphate reefkeeping" to see more.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2016, 10:55 AM   #150
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Most people have a low level of phosphate even at the best of times, so they are always running a GFO reactor. People are usually trying to keep their levels in the 0.01-0.1 ppm range. A tank with no phosphate can be just as unhealthy as a tank with too much, so you need to continue with water tests to see whether you need to run it, or how much you need to run it.

It can be difficult to tell where phosphate is coming from. Sometimes it is coming from the rock or substrate, but this usually disappears gradually over time. More often it is imported as a part of fish and coral foods. Remember, some phosphate is required, just not too much. Too much food can cause increased phosphate levels. Also, to much detritus piling up in the display or sump can cause phosphate levels to rise.

Extra phosphate may also be introduced in a bad batch or cheaper brand of salt. Many people test a new batch of salt water after mixing but before doing water changes.

There are lots of good articles about phosphate in the aquarium. Do a Google on "phosphate reefkeeping" to see more.

Dave.M

Dave,

Thank you, this was just what I was looking for. We won't start running GFO until needed after cycling. Then we will work at maintaining .01-.1 ppm.