Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2015, 11:53 PM   #2876
danfeig
RC Sponsor

My heart aches...

As I sat in front of my tank this evening, I could not help but feel a great deal of sorrow and empathy for what Peter, a Coral Tank from Canada (1,350 gal Display Tank) must be going through right now.

The enjoyment that I receive from watching my tank; the personalities of my fish, the growth of my corals - it is not easily replaceable. I am constantly learning new things about the ecosystem I have created or have tried to replicate. I try not to take things for granted. I am constantly checking water parameters, experimenting with different supplements, pumps, water flow, methods - to improve the quality of my system and livestock.

I spend a tremendous amount of time reading other build threads and learning from fellow reefers - watching their successes and failures. One such thread, that has been an inspiration, is Peters. I have followed his and Mr. Wilson's successes closely. It has been very difficult to see their system decimated by a manufacturer defect. It is my hope, that he rebuilds and continues to inspire reefers like myself.

Unread 03/12/2015, 07:03 AM   #2877
dave.m
Registered Member

Hear! Hear! Well said!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 07:51 AM   #2878
ace_92101
Registered Member

The video, as always, is stunning. The depth of the tank gives a more natural look. I almost feel like I'm diving.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 09:25 PM   #2879
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Amazing Dan just absolutely amazing!!!!!
Thanks Steve! It's become a lot more enjoyable as it's matured.

Unread 03/12/2015, 09:32 PM   #2880
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjaco View Post
Have you noticed any spawning activity with the Tangs?

Looks amazing and so realistic.
Jacob, that's a great question. I have with my Blue Hippo Tangs. Most of the time they ignore each other, but, every few months the male and female are side by side together with the male following every move the female makes. I have also questioned whether or not my Powder Blues were getting busy.

Unread 03/12/2015, 09:34 PM   #2881
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Ewww this is a family channel. Now I have to explain to my 20yo what that means.

I wonder how well the viability of off-spring would be.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 07:09 AM   #2882
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Ewww this is a family channel. Now I have to explain to my 20yo what that means.

I wonder how well the viability of off-spring would be.
They were busy swimming that's all. I don't know what you were thinking.

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2015, 08:24 AM   #2883
Benson0219
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Thanks Benson. The next time you make it down to Tucson, look me up and I will give you a tour.
Thank you Dan! My wife and I would love to see your tank and get more inspiration and ideas for our tank! One of my other hobbies is to visit public aquariums. We just went to Monterrey Aquarium two weeks ago. Your tank is on our list!!!

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef Tank
Benson0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 05:41 PM   #2884
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_CoupleClowns View Post
Great video! Such an active reef!
Thank you A_CoupleClowns! It's so much fun to sit in front of it and watch. It is always busy. As far as the video goes, Sam get's better and better with each video.

Unread 03/17/2015, 12:19 AM   #2885
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_92101 View Post
The video, as always, is stunning. The depth of the tank gives a more natural look. I almost feel like I'm diving.
Thanks Ace! I am glad that you enjoyed it!

Unread 03/17/2015, 01:53 AM   #2886
pyithar
Registered Member

awesome tank! it's stunning! i have a question though. are the corals especially sps like monti fine together with the btas?

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 02:16 AM   #2887
dotcommer
Registered Member

Excellent Video, Thanks for taking the time to have it created and sharing it with us.
Tank and fish look amazing.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 03:26 AM   #2888
tastyfish
Registered Member

Amazing tank Dan, I've been following you all the way through. Enjoyed the first video, but unfortunately the last two have some sort of copyright restriction?

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"

tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2015, 10:46 PM   #2889
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyithar View Post
awesome tank! it's stunning! i have a question though. are the corals especially sps like monti fine together with the btas?
Thanks pyithar!

You know, that is a great question. My sunburst anemones are starting to be a real pain in the rear. For the most part, when they stay down low, they are great! However, the mother anemone has probably split a dozen times. One has really bothered an alveopora coral and a couple of others have made homes at various times in my Monti caps. They are tough to get out of those and they do kill the portion of the Monti that they tend to rest on.

Unread 03/25/2015, 03:51 AM   #2890
pyithar
Registered Member

thanks for the answer Dan. my green bta was moving all the time and it killed 1/3 of the favia. it seems to have found a place it likes though.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 07:20 PM   #2891
Dreech15
Registered Member

Dan incredible tank. A true piece of artwork!

Dreech15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 09:45 PM   #2892
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Thanks pyithar!

You know, that is a great question. My sunburst anemones are starting to be a real pain in the rear. For the most part, when they stay down low, they are great! However, the mother anemone has probably split a dozen times. One has really bothered an alveopora coral and a couple of others have made homes at various times in my Monti caps. They are tough to get out of those and they do kill the portion of the Monti that they tend to rest on.
Mine have been similar, great until they split and then they are hard to remove and slowly take over space where they shouldn't be.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 08:49 AM   #2893
ERivera65
Registered Member

Wow Dan, its amazing! your tank has come quite a ways! It really looks like a piece of the reef is in your home. those corals look amazing and all the fish looks so great and healthy, I am very happy to see your success and glad you can share it here with all of us. Thank you and glad to see you doing well.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon mixed reef
ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:17 PM   #2894
BrentH
Registered Member

Long thread and great tank in wondering if you have any pointers or share how you've kept the moorish idols alive so long great job on everything ... I've always been kinda not sure about the leds and your proving they do work

BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 10:59 PM   #2895
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
Excellent Video, Thanks for taking the time to have it created and sharing it with us.
Tank and fish look amazing.
Sal, I am sorry that I missed you when you came down to Tucson. When will you make it back. I heard that you stopped by the store...

Unread 04/07/2015, 11:01 PM   #2896
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
Amazing tank Dan, I've been following you all the way through. Enjoyed the first video, but unfortunately the last two have some sort of copyright restriction?

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"
Thanks Tastyfish... I had a few pm's that some countries outside of the US could not view the videos because of copyright restrictions on the music. I will see if I can't have it made without the music background.

Unread 04/08/2015, 12:07 AM   #2897
Daniel62
Registered Member

Great tank Dan. How long have you had the MI?

Current Tank Info: 225 reef, 125 clown & haddoni tank, Haddoni's Big Bad & Beautiful, I Love Them!
Daniel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2015, 01:40 AM   #2898
dotcommer
Registered Member

Quote:
Sal, I am sorry that I missed you when you came down to Tucson. When will you make it back. I heard that you stopped by the store...
No problem, we ran out of time quickly, next time. I was able to stop in the store and check things out. The store looks great, you guys did a great job. I like the white raceway you have in the middle of the store, Those systems are a great place to house corals.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2015, 10:53 AM   #2899
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel62 View Post
Great tank Dan. How long have you had the MI?
Thank you. I have enjoyed the MI for a little over two years.

Unread 06/14/2015, 11:01 AM   #2900
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Hey guys. I have received a number of PM's asking for updates. Sorry for being RC silent, I have been real busy with work and family obligations.

The tank is really doing awesome! I feel almost as if it is running itself. I need to spend several days trimming my different acro's as almost all seem to be touching one another. The only big change to my system has been on the bottom of my tank. I have slowly been adding different species of goniopora and alveopora to the bottom, hoping to make some sort of Flower Pot Garden. I do need to add another two Radions to the back of my tank. I have been growing a lot of frags behind my towers and feel they could use more light.

Sam will be coming in next month and hopefully shooting another few videos.

I am also planning on heading up to Macna and hope to see everyone there!