Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:32 AM   #1
hoover86
Registered Member

Anyone else using the JF method of all actinic?!?!?

I just watched a video of a presentation done by Jason Fox and was really surprised that pretty much all of his tanks are T5 all actinic and blue Reefbrites. It makes sense given most of his corals are deep water but is anyone else using and having this success with their corals?

I don't plan on taking a 2nd mortgage to buy all JF corals so I'm wondering if the majority of corals we find in the hobby would have similar results? I'm setting up a 125 with G4 Radions and 2 T5's for supplement personally. I talked to JF at RAP in Orlando this past spring and he's actually the reason I picked up T5's to supplement as he said he feels they give much better coloration.

He did say he has LED over one of his propagation tanks but only runs white at 5-10% a couple hours a day and runs Reefbrites for 12 and T5's for 10 (I may have the Reefbrites and T5's transposed but it's basically actinic nearly all day).

Unread 07/21/2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Many places run the blues all day because corals respond better to the blue spectrum.

Unread 07/21/2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Bronx19
Registered Member

Funny you start this thread. After watching his video, I ordered 4B+ and 2TA to replace my 3B+, 2C+, 1P+. I couldn't help but wonder if there would be any difference, so I'm going to find out.

Bronx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Funny you start this thread. After watching his video, I ordered 4B+ and 2TA to replace my 3B+, 2C+, 1P+. I couldn't help but wonder if there would be any difference, so I'm going to find out.
I've kind of thought about this but I bet the corals don't look very good. Keep us updated .

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 07:48 AM   #5
hoover86
Registered Member

Keep us updated for sure. I just wonder how the rest of the corals in the hobby would respond. It makes sense the deep water corals he collects would benefit from so much blue since they are at such a depth. Like I said, I won't be having a tank full of his deep water corals so curious how other corals behave.

Unread 07/22/2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

They will do OK. Blue or actinic will feed the coral and produce some good color. But corals do use other spectrum to produce other pigments and chemicals the coral uses. My bet is JF cares a lot more about fast growth and a lot less about long term health as he moves them through his system.

When I have an algae issue I don't do 3 days of lights out. I do as long as it takes of all blue and violet. I've done up to 14 days and the corals polyp out just like normal (and fluoresce). Eventually the algae goes away and the corals look as good after as they did before.

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Bronx19
Registered Member

If I remember correctly Jason said almost all wild corals entering the trade are collected at more than 5m of depth and it entirely blue spectrum. When you think about it, 5m is bugger all in an ocean, its our systems which are tidal pool deep.

Could put one C+ in a 6 bulb fixture to hit the red spectrum.

Unread 07/22/2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
If I remember correctly Jason said almost all wild corals entering the trade are collected at more than 5m of depth and it entirely blue spectrum. When you think about it, 5m is bugger all in an ocean, its our systems which are tidal pool deep.

In mine I have tried one actinic, five blue, one coral and one purple. It was really blue and red and purple corals looked bad. I only tried it for like a day I may just have to get used to it.

Unread 07/22/2017, 10:46 PM   #9
knap_123
Registered Member

All blue, uv sb reeflite 2 Ati t5s. Corals look great and seem to be growing well.

knap_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 04:13 AM   #10
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:

5M is just 15 feet. There is a lot more than just blue spectrum at 15 feet... even at 30 feet.

Unread 07/23/2017, 07:16 AM   #11
hoover86
Registered Member

Most of the corals JF collects are around 80' if I remember correctly.

Unread 07/23/2017, 09:12 AM   #12
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover86 View Post
Most of the corals JF collects are around 80' if I remember correctly.

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 09:41 PM   #13
Bronx19
Registered Member

They collect them and then put them into shallow water holding for export.

Unread 07/24/2017, 08:04 AM   #14
hoover86
Registered Member

Quote:
They collect them and then put them into shallow water holding for export.
Correct. But the reasoning he uses blue light is because that's what light the corals get where they are collected. That's why I was wondering how the other corals we get that are more shallow water would react to this lighting scheme.

EDIT - I also see why you posted that now Bronx when I see oreo's picture. The link was broken at first LOL

Last edited by hoover86; 07/24/2017 at 09:02 AM.
hoover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 12:01 PM   #15
Mishri
Registered Member

as others said, many growers use only blue for maximum growth speed to maximize their profits. I don't think it looks good at all. I certainly wouldn't use it on a display tank.. if you have a frag grow out tank then no problem. I would be surprised if it's the ideal spectrum for overall long term health.

Unread 07/24/2017, 12:03 PM   #16
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Didn't JF lose his boat and gear? I thought I seen a gofundme started...

Unread 07/27/2017, 05:41 AM   #17
Bronx19
Registered Member

Bulbs arrived, running 3B+, 2A, 1P+. Very different look, creates a lot of fluorescent greens. Nice dawn/dust look with just the actininic morning and evening. Took PAR readings and it down, but still near the 250 butter zone.

Unread 10/23/2017, 10:27 PM   #18
AddictReef
Registered Member

y
Quote:
Bulbs arrived, running 3B+, 2A, 1P+. Very different look, creates a lot of fluorescent greens. Nice dawn/dust look with just the actininic morning and evening. Took PAR readings and it down, but still near the 250 butter zone.
Update?

AddictReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 01:31 PM   #19
urban_s
Registered Member

Following

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 01:44 PM   #20
d2mini
Registered Member

To answer the OP, no.
I'm not in the business of growing/selling coral. My tank is for my enjoyment and seeing nothing but actinic is not enjoyable to me.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 02:24 PM   #21
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
To answer the OP, no.
I'm not in the business of growing/selling coral. My tank is for my enjoyment and seeing nothing but actinic is not enjoyable to me.
Glad I'm not the only one.

When I updated my lighting a year or so ago, a trusted source talked to me about color spectrums and how PAR is overrated, especially for LPS (which is what I keep primarily). I didn't understand a lot of it, but like I said... trust source. So he talked me into a blue heavy bulb setup, but I still run a purple and a daylight for appearance/personal preference.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 03:00 PM   #22
Potatohead
Registered Member

FWIW, if you check out the newest RB video, it's apparent Jason is using Blue+ bulbs and not full-on true actinics. I'm not sure why he refers to them as actinic, although Geisemann does call their version of that bulb 'actinic blue.'

Unread 10/24/2017, 03:04 PM   #23
AddictReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
FWIW, if you check out the newest RB video, it's apparent Jason is using Blue+ bulbs and not full-on true actinics. I'm not sure why he refers to them as actinic, although Geisemann does call their version of that bulb 'actinic blue.'

I’d like to check out this video. Could you link me.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AddictReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 03:17 PM   #24
Potatohead
Registered Member

I can't because RC puts a block on it. If you google reef builders Jason Fox I'm sure it will come up.

Edit - maybe a youtube link will work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0gU7DumDo

Unread 10/24/2017, 03:25 PM   #25
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

yeah seen the video recently. he does love that blue and sb lights. I dont mind my tank running blue, not super dark blue, but light blue.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote