Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2017, 11:25 PM   #1
jaykm
Registered Member

Anemone placement

I have a long tentacle anemone that keeps trying to move, but doesn't seem able to. When I first put him in, he seemed to find a place he liked, but then moved a day or two later. I know that is fine, but now he won't move almost at all. Where do they like to be? On the rock? Higher? Lower? In the sand? Where the rock and sand meet?

jaykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 11:56 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Anemone should not move that much though. If they are happy they stay at the same place for many years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 12:07 AM   #3
jaykm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Anemone should not move that much though. If they are happy they stay at the same place for many years.

True, but when I say he is not moving I mean he is lying on the sand, not attached to anything.

Unread 10/19/2017, 12:20 AM   #4
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Long tentacle anemone stays on sand. They are sand anemones. Does it look healthy? Do you have pictures?

Unread 10/19/2017, 12:34 AM   #5
jaykm
Registered Member

Quote:
Long tentacle anemone stays on sand. They are sand anemones. Does it look healthy? Do you have pictures?

https://imgur.com/a/qCKTl

Unread 10/19/2017, 01:01 AM   #6
jaykm
Registered Member

Unread 10/19/2017, 01:15 AM   #7
jaykm
Registered Member

Quote:

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Taking a (fast) guess, it's just too weak to dig.

It seems pale, so it should probably get food regularly until it can establish photosynthetic algae enough to get any nutrients from your light-setup.

I had heard/read that they dig, but I could not get it to "root" in like that. I then heard, get a tube or cup (something with closed end) and dig it into a deep sand bed, put its base into it, but be careful it is not so deep that the anemone smothers there. Let it stay for a day or two before putting sand into the tube with it.

It worked excellent, but every time I have tried to let the Macrodactyla Doreensis >dig< by itself as online information claims, it have been unable and I believe it might be a common problem that people are always told they will have the energy to do it by themselves.

If the Nem is close to white in colour, it needs food until it gets stronger.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 10/20/2017 at 01:24 PM.
Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2017, 01:19 PM   #9
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

When it comes to placing the LTA, you should consider it a filter feeder and place it where it "feels" that water flow is beneficial for bringing it tons of food options.

Try stuff like tricking it's instincts by making a place where 3 flow directions meets up, thereby forcing it to have to give up on the other 2 flows if it wanted to investigate the 1.

Unread 10/20/2017, 01:49 PM   #10
humphreyhh
Registered Member

The picture looks like it is not at all attached and this happens very often with ltas. Is there damage on its foot? If not, I suggest to put it close to a rock so it can start to anchor itself under the rock into the sand (they don't attach to the actual sand, they attach to rock or tank bottom through the sand). If it's foot is damaged then it's very hard to nurse it back to health. You have to be very careful with feeding and tank mates when that happens.
Based on my experience, ltas with foot damage usually end up dying.
I hope this helps.

Unread 10/20/2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

It should have no problem digging down along the glass where it is now, so it does seem to need some help settling in.

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:39 PM   #12
jaykm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
Taking a (fast) guess, it's just too weak to dig.

It seems pale, so it should probably get food regularly until it can establish photosynthetic algae enough to get any nutrients from your light-setup.

I had heard/read that they dig, but I could not get it to "root" in like that. I then heard, get a tube or cup (something with closed end) and dig it into a deep sand bed, put its base into it, but be careful it is not so deep that the anemone smothers there. Let it stay for a day or two before putting sand into the tube with it.

It worked excellent, but every time I have tried to let the Macrodactyla Doreensis >dig< by itself as online information claims, it have been unable and I believe it might be a common problem that people are always told they will have the energy to do it by themselves.

If the Nem is close to white in colour, it needs food until it gets stronger.

Alright I dug a hole, put a tube in it, and stuck the Anemone in it. Let’s see if he attaches

Tags
anemone, placement, rock, sand