Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2006, 12:57 AM   #1
mwp
Moved On

"Pregnant" Barbouri Pictures?

OK, this may be a strange post. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone out there has some pix of their male barbouri's with and without eggs....trying to get a better understanding of what to look for. Sometimes the pouch on my male seems a bit fatter, other times not so much.

Basically, with how everything else around here seems to be breeding, I'm starting to wonder if my barbs are mating and producing offspring that are simply going unnoticed.....heck other fish around here go unnoticed for months at a time even though I KNOW they're spawning most likely every week (i.e. my Greenbanded Gobies).

I know, strange request perhaps...

Lookin' forward to ANY responses.

Matt

mwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 01:35 AM   #2
reefD
Registered Member

keep in mind males swell up thier pouches as a display for females.

Current Tank Info: it has four sides and a bottom...oh yeah and it has water in it. lol
reefD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 02:55 AM   #3
pledosophy
Registered Member

Pouch size can and will fluctuate. There are even false pregancies where the male looks preganant for a week and then is not.

IME preganant males will slowly grow larger until a point where they look like they are going to explode. Fry is most often delivered at first light so wake up early.

Also the babies will look like tiny ants in the shape of seahorses. If they is fry you will see at least a couple in the tank despite the other fish and filters.

If you get barb fry and do not plan on raising them, maybe we can work something out.

Unread 11/02/2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Fredfish
Registered Member

What pledosophy said. He should look pregnant every time you see him.

My male is much more shy when pregnant. I baically do not see him other than feeding time.

Fry should be obvious to you given the other stuff you breed.

Fred

Fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 09:14 PM   #5
mwp
Moved On

LOL, ALL very true, but I'd have to say that I'm still 50/50 on whether I've had any breeding in the Barbs or not. The pouches on my 2 males are very different from each other...I guess maybe I should get some pictures shot and post 'em up.

Harump..I got my hands full anyways

Matt

mwp is offline   Reply With Quote