Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2018, 08:31 PM   #5101
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoG View Post
Hola @Orcus Varuna, I have been using your SPS AB+ w/respirations profile and the results are really good! Thanks for sharing the profiles, every SPS and LPS colors have been enhanced specially the montis.

Now the profile runs in 9 hours frame, that is a bit sad as I was used to have it 12 hours and enjoy those 3 extra hours.

Have you tried to use SPS AB+ profiles in 12 hours periods? would it be too much light for the corals or bring algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a 12hr photoperiod but myself just like wwc and ecotech found in the coral lab study that the 9hr photoperiod seems to be ideal with LED’s. When I was at 12 hrs I would notice that things generally didn’t pop like they do under the shorter schedule and that some corals would close up before the lights went off which is a tell tale sign of photo inhibition being reached. It’s a pain for me as well but I go to work quite early so I just pushed the photoperiod start back to noon so I still get some nice viewing time when I get home.

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 09:53 PM   #5102
PanchoG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
I started with a 12hr photoperiod but myself just like wwc and ecotech found in the coral lab study that the 9hr photoperiod seems to be ideal with LED’s. When I was at 12 hrs I would notice that things generally didn’t pop like they do under the shorter schedule and that some corals would close up before the lights went off which is a tell tale sign of photo inhibition being reached. It’s a pain for me as well but I go to work quite early so I just pushed the photoperiod start back to noon so I still get some nice viewing time when I get home.

Thanks Orcus!

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:46 PM   #5103
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

Is anyone doing a tank with just softies, leathers, and mushrooms with the Hydra 26?

I’ve got 2 of them over my 70 gallon which is 24” deep. The lights are on the AI rails about 6” over the water. I cooked a colt coral the other day so I turned my settings down to

UV - 20
Violet - 40
Royal - 60
Blue - 0
Green - 10
Red - 15
White - 10

I recently added another leather on the gravel and that started getting white too. The funny thing is that my Kenya is close to the top and doing great. My Ricordeas are close to the bottom and doing great too

I lost my LPS tank during Hurricane Sandy so I’m doing a softy tank now because I love my Lemonpeel Angel. I figure LPS would just be expensive fish food. lol

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 01:50 AM   #5104
tonyreef
Registered Member

I am I have mine 12" above the water and here are what I run the LEDs at
UV - 10
Violet - 70
Royal - 70
Blue - 70
Green - 6
Red - 6
White - 15
I have 2hr ramps & on for 7hr. Pretty much all my LPSs are on the bottom or the outer rings of the foot print with good color.

tonyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 07:11 PM   #5105
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Tough View Post
Is anyone doing a tank with just softies, leathers, and mushrooms with the Hydra 26?

I’ve got 2 of them over my 70 gallon which is 24” deep. The lights are on the AI rails about 6” over the water. I cooked a colt coral the other day so I turned my settings down to

UV - 20

Violet - 40

Royal - 60

Blue - 0

Green - 10

Red - 15

White - 10

I recently added another leather on the gravel and that started getting white too. The funny thing is that my Kenya is close to the top and doing great. My Ricordeas are close to the bottom and doing great too

I lost my LPS tank during Hurricane Sandy so I’m doing a softy tank now because I love my Lemonpeel Angel. I figure LPS would just be expensive fish food. lol

Something else is bleaching your corals not the light your putting maybe 50 par on the bottom of the tank with those settings and maybe a 100 at the top. What are your water parameters

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:50 PM   #5106
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Anyone using one of the Signature Series Profiles from the AI website? There are some great looking colors coming outta these settings with great results as well.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN

Last edited by KAKLANGLEY; 03/22/2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: grammar
KAKLANGLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 12:36 AM   #5107
Ashr
Registered Member

Hey all

I am looking for some help with my new AI Hydra 26 on my new RSR 170. I am coming from a larger tank that was running a 36" 8 Bulb ATI dimmable T5 fixture over it for a long time. I had to move and get a smaller tank so my old light was just to big.

I have downloaded the David Saxby Hydra 26 profile and will run the accumulation at 30% 30 days, then move up for a month or 2 from there.

I have LPS,zoas and nems going. I got rid of most my SPS. I've always been a T5 guy so any help, thoughts or tips would be amazing

Thans!

Ashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:26 AM   #5108
qfrisco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAKLANGLEY View Post
Anyone using one of the Signature Series Profiles from the AI website? There are some great looking colors coming outta these settings with great results as well.

Good find there. I hadn't seen this. I'm definitely going to try them out!

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:32 AM   #5109
PanchoG
Registered Member

Quote:

Agree, good finding. What profile are you using? and for how long have you run those settings?

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 10:20 PM   #5110
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoG View Post
Agree, good finding. What profile are you using? and for how long have you run those settings?

Been using the AB+ 24”AWL Once saved you can make a duplicate profile and make adjustments, thus you have the original if one gets botched. Ive been running the same profile for probably 4 months straight now. I had switched settings around for while and I’d try each way out for about a month to 6 weeks. I have not tried the SigSeries yet for an extended period. I’m chomping at the bit to give them a try though.

Secondly, If the profile starts at 8am and you don’t want it to start unit 10am you have to go into the settings tab and change the time zone to delay/ advance the start time. Kinda aggravating.

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 03/23/2018, 10:41 PM   #5111
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Been using the AB+ 24”AWL Once saved you can make a duplicate profile and make adjustments, thus you have the original if one gets botched. Ive been running the same profile for probably 4 months straight now. I had switched settings around for while and I’d try each way out for about a month to 6 weeks. I have not tried the SigSeries yet for an extended period. I’m chomping at the bit to give them a try though.

Secondly, If the profile starts at 8am and you don’t want it to start unit 10am you have to go into the settings tab and change the time zone to delay/ advance the start time. Kinda aggravating.

You hold two fingers on the schedule graph and it moves the whole schedule forward and backward in time.

Unread 03/24/2018, 05:23 AM   #5112
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
You hold two fingers on the schedule graph and it moves the whole schedule forward and backward in time.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:08 AM   #5113
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashr View Post
Hey all

I am looking for some help with my new AI Hydra 26 on my new RSR 170. I am coming from a larger tank that was running a 36" 8 Bulb ATI dimmable T5 fixture over it for a long time. I had to move and get a smaller tank so my old light was just to big.

I have downloaded the David Saxby Hydra 26 profile and will run the accumulation at 30% 30 days, then move up for a month or 2 from there.

I have LPS,zoas and nems going. I got rid of most my SPS. I've always been a T5 guy so any help, thoughts or tips would be amazing

Thanks!

Anyone have thoughts on this at all?

Unread 03/26/2018, 02:30 PM   #5114
mikeynolan122
Registered Member

You could also look up Dave Saxbys schedule you can upload just look up his reef tank and results I uploaded it several weeks ago on my 3 hydra52 hd and love the color and ramp

mikeynolan122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 08:57 PM   #5115
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

Quote:
Something else is bleaching your corals not the light your putting maybe 50 par on the bottom of the tank with those settings and maybe a 100 at the top. What are your water parameters

My water parameters are fine

I turned down the lights to the settings I posted recently and the leathers stopped bleaching. It’s definitely my Lights. I’ve now set them for 50% acclimation over the course of a month to see how that goes

In reality I only need about 50 to 200 par to keep the type of corals I’m adding to the tank. I think I’ll only need about a 1/4 of the power this light can put out. The trick is getting it there slower than I previously was

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 09:55 PM   #5116
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:

Was ramp up and down included this 12hr photoperiod? Or 12 "full" hours plus your ramp period.

I doubt the latter of the two, but thought I'd ask. Thanks

Unread 03/27/2018, 03:33 AM   #5117
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Was ramp up and down included this 12hr photoperiod? Or 12 "full" hours plus your ramp period.

I doubt the latter of the two, but thought I'd ask. Thanks

When I say photoperiod I’m indicating the whole time the light is on including ramps

Unread 03/27/2018, 03:38 AM   #5118
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on this at all?

I personally don’t like saxbys settings that much as I find the photoperiod to be too long. I would run either my SPS AB+ or BRS AB+ Profiles. I ran the SPS AB+ quite successfully for over a year on a Zoa LPS tank.

Unread 03/27/2018, 01:36 PM   #5119
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
I personally don’t like saxbys settings that much as I find the photoperiod to be too long. I would run either my SPS AB+ or BRS AB+ Profiles. I ran the SPS AB+ quite successfully for over a year on a Zoa LPS tank.

Thats good to know! I agree that the lighting period is a little long. Do you have the profile link by chance? It's hard to find a low power one or the original one. haha

Unread 03/27/2018, 02:09 PM   #5120
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

What do you download/load these programs to? The actual lights? The director controller? Thinking about upgrading from my ORIGINAL hydras...yes, the originals haha. Thinking I could find a deal of a few 52's non HD.

Unread 03/27/2018, 02:29 PM   #5121
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats good to know! I agree that the lighting period is a little long. Do you have the profile link by chance? It's hard to find a low power one or the original one. haha

Here ya go https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgZdidaM1bosnUqv21g

Unread 03/27/2018, 02:29 PM   #5122
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
What do you download/load these programs to? The actual lights? The director controller? Thinking about upgrading from my ORIGINAL hydras...yes, the originals haha. Thinking I could find a deal of a few 52's non HD.

The HD line profiles are unfortunately incompatible with director or the apex module for the non hd lights

Unread 03/27/2018, 02:33 PM   #5123
Ashr
Registered Member

Is the low profile under a different name by chance?

Thank you

Unread 03/27/2018, 02:56 PM   #5124
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
The HD line profiles are unfortunately incompatible with director or the apex module for the non hd lights

Well crap, thanks for the heads up.

Unread 03/27/2018, 03:09 PM   #5125
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Is the low profile under a different name by chance?

Thank you

It’s the with t5ho profile