Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2015, 11:08 AM   #176
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30ct View Post
Question for everyone. I started vinegar dosing my 180g tank and I'm on week 2. 15ml per day. When I woke up this morning tank was a little cloudy and after I dosed this afternoon it got a little cloudy again. Should I cut back? I wouldnt think this small of a dose would cause a bacterial bloom.

tank specs
temp 80
sg 1.026
alk 8
mag 1400
cal 430
nitrates always read zero but its an api test
phos also read zero with api and elos test but I have glass algae almost daily

I have 3 tangs, 2 clown and 3 smaller fish. I wanted to start vinegar because I feed a lot and I have sand and wanted to keep nutrients down.

What skimmer are you running on this tank? Seems odd. At one point I was dosing almost 65ml a day in my 75 gal and never had any cloudy water.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2015, 03:40 PM   #177
james30ct
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
What's the water volume?

Are you using a skimmer? GAC?
water volume is probably around 180g total. I use gac and gfo and the skimmer is a jns cones co3. I do weekly 10g water changes.

james30ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 10:16 AM   #178
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I dose and amount of vodka and vinegar equivalent to about 102ml 5% acetic acid vinegar at your water volume. I don't know why you are experiencing cloudiness at the low level dose in use; maybe coincidental. I'd probably back off the vinegar though to see if the clouldness persists.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 10:00 PM   #179
Tokyoyankee
Registered Member

I've ramped up to150ml now on my 90g plus sump. Quite high but I'm assuming it's bc of the 18 fish bio load. I'm using it to combat the nuisance algae along with 500grams of GFO

Last edited by Tokyoyankee; 08/29/2015 at 10:57 PM.
Tokyoyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 02:12 PM   #180
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Got my results back from AWT today wow! Nitrates 48!
I didnt see these results with my test kit time to buy new ones!
Im really thinking about starting vinegar dosing i tried bio pellet reactor explosion of cyano! I read here http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....arine-aquarium
that vinegar has reduced cyano growth and not to mention having to keep alk low for bio pellets, that was almost impossible for me!

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 08:39 AM   #181
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

So can i dose the pure distilled white vinegar (5%) straight from the vinegar bottle with my doser or do i and how much should i dilute it since i do not dose kalk?
I was going to start out with the 15ml per 100g and i have around 250g water vol.

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
Unread 09/13/2015, 01:10 PM   #182
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
So can i dose the pure distilled white vinegar (5%) straight from the vinegar bottle with my doser or do i and how much should i dilute it since i do not dose kalk?
I was going to start out with the 15ml per 100g and i have around 250g water vol.

Do not dilute without kalkwasser present. I dose mine during daylight hours straight from the bottle with a brs 1.1ml Doser.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 06:11 PM   #183
bertoni
RC Mod

The vinegar will start to decay if it's diluted with plain water. Kalk can act as a preservative, but it's fine to dose straight 5% distilled vinegar.

Unread 09/13/2015, 06:44 PM   #184
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The vinegar will start to decay if it's diluted with plain water. Kalk can act as a preservative, but it's fine to dose straight 5% distilled vinegar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Do not dilute without kalkwasser present. I dose mine during daylight hours straight from the bottle with a brs 1.1ml Doser.
ok thanks for the help just need to make sure i do this correctly
Im picking up the vinegar after work in the morning

Unread 09/14/2015, 07:17 AM   #185
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Ok i got my vinegar will be setting up my extra doser head for dosing i will be dosing 35ml stretched out 2 maybe 4 times daily" i have all connected tanks downstairs with a opposite light schedule then DT" then increase by 15ml per week and after nitrates are close to not readable back off 15ml per week till i stop unless nitrates build back up then?

Last edited by MrineLfRlz; 09/14/2015 at 07:52 AM.
Unread 09/14/2015, 05:44 PM   #186
bertoni
RC Mod

That seems like a reasonable idea, in general, although I'd back off slowly once the nitrate level reaches an acceptable level. This link gives a conservative schedule on ramping up the dosing:

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....arine-aquarium

Unread 09/22/2015, 05:07 PM   #187
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Ive decided to start a new thread about my dosing process to keep track on it better.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2529041

Unread 10/18/2015, 03:02 PM   #188
JDuong916
Registered Member

I have a question about vinegar dosing and I can't seem to find the answer to. I normally dose 7ml of vodka a day in my system (150 gallon total). I have an ato that is 10 gallons that takes about a week to use up. I add 3 tablespoons of kalk to my ato every time i refill it. I want to know if i can just add 400 ml of vinegar (7ml vodka X 8 X 7 days) to my ato and not deal with the daily vodka dosing?

JDuong916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 08:19 PM   #189
bertoni
RC Mod

That should be okay. The general issue with diluting vinegar (or vodka) is that bacteria might be able to consume the carbon before it gets into the tank. The Kalk should act as a preservative, though.

Unread 10/18/2015, 11:45 PM   #190
JDuong916
Registered Member

Sweet, thanks for the info.

JDuong916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2015, 01:54 AM   #191
discos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
I read here http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....arine-aquarium
that vinegar has reduced cyano growth and not to mention having to keep alk low for bio pellets, that was almost impossible for me!
If you can not keep alk low for pellet, how can you keep low with vinegar? And with biopellet there are many reports that works safe in higher alk.

discos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2015, 08:22 AM   #192
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

If you can not keep alk low for pellet, how can you keep low with vinegar? And with biopellet there are many reports that works safe in higher alk.

Organic carbon dosing whether soluble organics like vodka ( ethanol) and/or vinegar(acetic acid ) or more complex carbohydrates like bio plastics( pellets) may have a small effect on alkalinity as the heterotrophic bacteria use some bicarbonate . Some of which may come back when acetate ultimately formed is metabolized .

All in all there is little if any effect on alkalinity at least none that is detectable ,IME, with any of them whne dosed at equal levels.

The heterotrophic bacteria compete with the the ammonia oxidizing bacteria for ammonia and actually take up less bicarbonate than the ammonia oxidizers do and often outcompete them . So, in that regard there may be a less alkalinity used by bacterial activity overall in a specific aquarium with organic carbon dosing . However, the nitrate formed by ammonia oxidation puts back some of the alkalinty when it is reduced via anaerobic bacterial activity .

As for cyano, it sometimes occurs with any of the organic carbon sources including vinegar,vodka and pellets. I suspect it's more of a start up issue related changes in competition for less nutrients that gives cyano a temporary advantage until bacteria establish themselves fully. After the first month or so , I haven't seen any notable cyano in my system and have been dosing a combination of vodka and vinegar for about 6 years.

I prefer soluble organics( vodka and vinegar) because:

it's much easier to get a precise and constant organic carbon dose than it is with pellets;

more complex carbohydrates like pellets, sugars, rice , etc have a much longer degradation pathways including breakdown to monomers some of which may be harmful,IMO.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 10/19/2015 at 08:38 AM.
Unread 10/19/2015, 07:07 PM   #193
jonwright
Registered Member

However, adding vinegar to kalkwasser will increase available alk/ca via kalk solution with a bit of carbon dosing, correct?

jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2015, 07:14 PM   #194
bertoni
RC Mod

Adding vinegar to Kalkwasser will drop the pH somewhat and it will allow you to dissolve more Kalk, if you'd like to do that. Vinegar by itself won't add any alkalinity or calcium, or change availability.

Unread 10/19/2015, 07:41 PM   #195
jonwright
Registered Member

Saturated kalk isn't keeping up with demand and I always have low(ish) ph. So I figure more alk will help with demand and keep ph roughly where it needs to be. Since a bit of vinegar allows more alk in solution. Also help with a bit of cyano. However that's being offset by more bacteria mats. I don't have a lot of corals nor rock. Hmmmmm.

Unread 10/19/2015, 08:08 PM   #196
bertoni
RC Mod

The change in pH due to adding vinegar is small. I wouldn't worry about it.

Unread 10/19/2015, 11:37 PM   #197
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Fully saturated (2tsps per gallon ) kalk is around 12.4 pH. If you add 48ml of 5% acetic acid vinegar you can dissolve about 2.7 tsps and keep the same pH while adding more calcium and alkalinity. However, that much carbon at start up might be too much. A start around 12 ml of vinegar and 2.1 tsps of kalk is recommended and can be amped up over time .

Unread 10/20/2015, 05:44 AM   #198
jonwright
Registered Member

Yup. That's what I've done. Thanks guys. Maybe I knew more than i thought I did. ��

I started at 5 ml/gal then after a couple weeks I went to 15 and a few days ago I'm up to 30 to see if alk will stay put. What's curious is that seemingly the more alk available the more is used. By reading the statement previously by tmz I was thinking it was just used up by bacteria. Which of the bacteria is using additional all that's being amped up by vinegar I was wondering if adding vinegar is moot as a vehicle for increased alk. However the cyano seems to have eased up and the anemone seems really extended and the clam is happy. So I'll carry on and see how it goes.

Unread 10/20/2015, 10:36 AM   #199
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

When calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 is added to water the oxide neutralizes H+ (acid) raising the pH ;less H+ leads to a shift (speciation) of bicarbonate(HCO3) to carbonate(CO3) . Carbonate has twice the alkalinity bicarbonate has. So, the more oxide you add the higher the alkalinity .

On the other hand the more H+ entering the tank the more H+ there will be as it hydrolizes.

The acetic acid(CH3 OOH ) in the vinegar adds H+ mitigating the pH rise from oxide thus allowing more carbonate alkalinity to remain in solution without precipitatin to calicium carbonate.

The heterotrophic bacteria use very llttle alkalinity and balance that out when they metabolize the acetate in a subsequent step ;so , they are of little if any consequence to alkalinity in the end.

Unread 11/07/2015, 08:00 AM   #200
mtgh
Registered Member

Can I dose vinegar using my jebao dosing pump?
Thanks

mtgh is offline   Reply With Quote