A dose of poison will sort them out in no time mate

Unread 08/19/2015, 10:11 PM   #79
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Bummed to hear you have those bugs Mike

A dose of poison will sort them out in no time mate
Cheers Biggles. Even with the bugs most things don't look too bad. My guess is I have probably had them a little while just havnt really noticed in till now.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2015, 10:55 PM   #80
MichaelW
Registered Member

Well got to keep some pictures on each page so here you go.
Pink lemonade, the got broke to pieces when trying to get it off the rocks in the old tank, starting to get a little color back. And, my beautiful blue wild piece.

A nice maricultured piece starting to turn yellow was brown until I got it in the new tank and put it directly under the radion puck.

Last edited by MichaelW; 08/19/2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Wrong image
Unread 08/20/2015, 12:29 AM   #81
biggles
Registered Member

Hot damn, that wild piece is blue. The fluoro tipped piece is really popping with pigments now mate.

I have to say that considering how hard it is to dial LED's in, you have them well and truly humming Michael. You have beautiful saturated pigments i don't normally associate with all LED tanks. If i were beaten with chains and forced to give up my Radiums i'd be copying your lighting and spectrum.

Unread 08/20/2015, 01:22 AM   #82
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Wow!!! That wild blue piece is so nice! How long have you had that piece in your tank? When you first got it did it have as deep colour?

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 05:23 AM   #83
markalot

The blue piece! More pictures of the blue piece! Hopefully you can get the bug problem sorted out, this is a beautiful tank.

Unread 08/20/2015, 09:20 AM   #84
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Hot damn, that wild piece is blue. The fluoro tipped piece is really popping with pigments now mate.

I have to say that considering how hard it is to dial LED's in, you have them well and truly humming Michael. You have beautiful saturated pigments i don't normally associate with all LED tanks. If i were beaten with chains and forced to give up my Radiums i'd be copying your lighting and spectrum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Wow!!! That wild blue piece is so nice! How long have you had that piece in your tank? When you first got it did it have as deep colour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
The blue piece! More pictures of the blue piece! Hopefully you can get the bug problem sorted out, this is a beautiful tank.
The blue piece is by far the best blue in the tank. Much better than my call tort. I don't have an Oregon tort though. It has probably been with me close to 3 months. It was very blue when I got it and I expected the usual with wilds (loose some color for a couple months then come back usually just as good if not better) but this piece never got full. Just held color and in last couple weeks got better. A little while after I first got it a couple branches in the back did loose some tissue so I cut them off and you can see where it has started growing back over the cut. I will work on some more pics for you guys.
In general I would say blue colors are doing better in this tank than the previous. The major changes have been right now not running gfo in this tank and a less aggressive GAC, run passive instead of a reactor. And using red sea blue bucket instead of Kent reef salt.

Unread 08/20/2015, 09:21 AM   #85
MichaelW
Registered Member

If all goes to plan I should be getting the poison today. Apparently it is expired though... But should be ok? The person said just overdose it a little to make up for it. Thoughts?

Unread 08/20/2015, 09:38 AM   #86
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice! Colors are looking fantastic.
I think you'll be just fine with the expired stuff unless it expired a decade ago..
Photos are great.. Still an issue with focus.. Which is odd but colour and light, you have down..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2015, 01:33 PM   #87
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice! Colors are looking fantastic.
I think you'll be just fine with the expired stuff unless it expired a decade ago..
Photos are great.. Still an issue with focus.. Which is odd but colour and light, you have down..
I think the biggest issue with focus was they were top down but taken above water line as I don't have a viewer box...yet

Unread 08/20/2015, 02:02 PM   #88
reefmutt
Registered Member

Gotcha.. That'll do it..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/20/2015, 04:40 PM   #89
MichaelW
Registered Member

Ok guys I have the poison. I have 8 pills for 2-10 pound dogs and 2 pills for 11-25 pound dogs. I was told to do 4 of the 2-10 pound and 1 of the other pills as first dose. Then the same as second treatment. Didn't know if I leave skimmer on or off, how long to leave treatment etc. So if anyone has any good links for protocol they may have followed succesfully that would be good.

Unread 08/21/2015, 10:21 PM   #90
MichaelW
Registered Member

Going to do the red bug treatment this weekend. I will crush up the pills, dissolve them in tank water and add them to tank at night. Will remove the mesh bag of carbon in sump and put skimmer air intake under water. I am going to leave it a good 12 hours. Now I don't have enough salt water to make a very large water change maybe only like 20% hopefully this is enough? I will replace fresh carbon 2. Do you think I should just use mesh bag with the carbon like I usually do or this time run it in a reactor?

Unread 08/21/2015, 10:44 PM   #91
markalot

I really don't know. Did you read the red bug stickied thread to get the dose?

Unread 08/22/2015, 02:11 AM   #92
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Going to do the red bug treatment this weekend. I will crush up the pills, dissolve them in tank water and add them to tank at night. Will remove the mesh bag of carbon in sump and put skimmer air intake under water. I am going to leave it a good 12 hours. Now I don't have enough salt water to make a very large water change maybe only like 20% hopefully this is enough? I will replace fresh carbon 2. Do you think I should just use mesh bag with the carbon like I usually do or this time run it in a reactor?
Around 20% is fine. Don't run any GFO/GAC etc during the hours of treatment. After treatment carry out water change and add in GAC in a reactor, but ensure flow isn't too fast if you've always run the GAC passive.

Unread 08/22/2015, 02:14 AM   #93
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

I treated my tank 3 times. I now also give incoming corals a Redbug treatment in a small QT tank.

Unread 08/22/2015, 10:03 AM   #94
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Around 20% is fine. Don't run any GFO/GAC etc during the hours of treatment. After treatment carry out water change and add in GAC in a reactor, but ensure flow isn't too fast if you've always run the GAC passive.
Cheers Sahin. Makes sense to ensure a low flow in tea for as I usually run passive. I know it should all be fine but still makes me nervous adding dog medicine to my tank.

Unread 08/22/2015, 02:54 PM   #95
MichaelW
Registered Member

I had couple requests for more pics of the "blue piece" so ask and you shall receive. I thought I best do a quick one now before I treat with interceptor tonight just I case something goes wrong.
This pic is right off the camera, re sized only. Didn't bother to change white balance or anything but I think it still came out ok. Was a little hard to get because I had to block the reflection of the LEDs on the water surface.

Unread 08/22/2015, 05:00 PM   #96
tank master
Registered Member

Great photos, and beautiful tank. The interceptor shouldn't kill any acros, just most of the pods and some other inverts.
Did you try out my schedule?

180 gallon soon to be sps ATI 60 inch 8 bulb t5
Freshly converted 220 soon to be sps ATI 60 inc
tank master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2015, 05:39 PM   #97
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank master View Post
Great photos, and beautiful tank. The interceptor shouldn't kill any acros, just most of the pods and some other inverts.
Did you try out my schedule?
Didn't try it out yet. Wanted to deal with the bugs first and see how the acros respond. Don't like changing too much at once. Tthanks for the compliment, your thread helped me with the pictures and has made me really want to find some awesome reef raft pieces and the Fox flame.

Unread 08/22/2015, 05:56 PM   #98
tank master
Registered Member

Ok, let me know how my schedule works for you, might be a little longer than the average schedule though, since I'm running for about 16 hrs a day.
If you need any frags down the road just let me know, need to do some trimming.

180 gallon soon to be sps ATI 60 inch 8 bulb t5
Freshly converted 220 soon to be sps ATI 60 inc
tank master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2015, 06:49 PM   #99
reefmutt
Registered Member

That blue piece is a real stunner!!
Don't worry about the bug killer.. It is harmless for acros..

Unread 08/22/2015, 09:12 PM   #100
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank master View Post
Ok, let me know how my schedule works for you, might be a little longer than the average schedule though, since I'm running for about 16 hrs a day.
If you need any frags down the road just let me know, need to do some trimming.
Frags of your stuff would be sweet, you have some incredible pieces I have never seen anything like before.